Discuss how to be the helpmate that God intended for your spouse.

Marriage is losing its grip on modern society

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage is losing its grip on modern society

When I was a girl, getting pregnant out of wedlock is a terrible shame that the girl sometimes resort to suicide. On a lesser magnitude, the family would move residence to avoid ridicule. One of our neighbors gave birth to a baby in secret and later told neighbors that the baby is the child of her mother, the grandparents registered the baby in their name.

But now, I am seeing girls who are pregnant out of marriage and they seem to be proud of it, even posting it in social media that they are pregnant and not married. My husband's niece was in that situation and the parents seem not to react as if a single girl getting pregnant is just normal. Worse, the government is condoning that act since they are now recognizing the so called single mother - meaning a woman with children who is not married. What is happening to our society? Marriage is losing its popularity? Worse, the same sex marriage is getting approved in many places not only in the US but also in some other countries. In fact, there are personalities who availed of the same sex marriage from abroad and are now living in the country as man and man (not wife).

Sadly, this is all too common here in the States too. Illegitimacy, cohabitation, and divorce have become rampant. Truly, us Christians are a peculiar people (1 Peter 2:9), who are to be separate from a sinful culture (2 Corinthians 6:17), and are to be in the world but not of it (Romans 12:2).
    Comment>

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
      When I was a girl, getting pregnant out of wedlock is a terrible shame that the girl sometimes resort to suicide. On a lesser magnitude, the family would move residence to avoid ridicule. One of our neighbors gave birth to a baby in secret and later told neighbors that the baby is the child of her mother, the grandparents registered the baby in their name.

But now, I am seeing girls who are pregnant out of marriage and they seem to be proud of it, even posting it in social media that they are pregnant and not married. My husband's niece was in that situation and the parents seem not to react as if a single girl getting pregnant is just normal. Worse, the government is condoning that act since they are now recognizing the so called single mother - meaning a woman with children who is not married. What is happening to our society? Marriage is losing its popularity? Worse, the same sex marriage is getting approved in many places not only in the US but also in some other countries. In fact, there are personalities who availed of the same sex marriage from abroad and are now living in the country as man and man (not wife).
      And yet, people are people :/
      and single mothers have a hard time, they need to be recognized by the government. Marriage is important, but we shouldn't condemn people simply because they made a mistake.
      Comment>

Yes, sadly the bond of matrimony can be removed just like that in today's world. Relationship is in rocky waters? Have a divorce! Done and done! People don't commit anymore, and would separate with the simplest reasons, and it really gives marriage a bad name. I think the last statistic was that 50% of marriages end in divorce, and that is an insanely large number if you think about it. Then again, most people these days usually marry because a child is on the way, and it would avoid the shame that it would bring to the family. But still, marriage is broken pretty easily these days.
        Comment>

I'd say it's society which has embraced promiscuity if I didn't know better. I know a number of Christian single mothers but they are single not because they didn't want to get married. At times people may be unwilling to formalize things because, there's divorce which is why they'd rather try to find out if they are compatible first. But once they got pregnant their fiances dumped them.
          Comment>

The problem is that we no longer live in a Christian society. Yes, I know that there are studies out there that find that divorce rates among Christians are higher than among non-Christians. I don't know if these reports are true or not but, if so, there are two things to consider. Non-Christians today are far less likely to be married when they begin living together, which might reduce the rates of divorce. More significantly, though, most of those who claim to be Christians aren't. Oh, they might have attended a Christian church while they were growing up, and may even attend church as adults, but they are not living Christian lives and have no intention of doing so.

I don't know that we should concern ourselves so much over what is going on in society because, as Christians, we are supposed to be in the world, but not of the world. During the time of early church, the congregations that were established by the apostles, Christians were in the minority, and they concerned themselves with the relationships of themselves and other Christians, rather than of society at large. Here in the United States at least, some of us can remember a time when most people lived lives that were based on Christian values, and under laws that were enacted due to the legislation of Christian values.

That is falling away, but adherence to Christian values is of no value to the non-Christian, so it is unreasonable of us to expect non-Christians to follow God's laws, and unproductive for the non-Christian. Rather than concerning ourselves over whether society at large values the sacrament of marriage, we should concern ourselves with reaching the people who make up society for the Lord. Only after they have found Christ can we expect them to live as God wants them to live.
            Comment>

Many youths are into drugs and they usually don't think about marriage. They have been attracted to prostitution to satisfy their daily desires. This has resulted since parents have no control on what their children do. Many young people copy what others do through online videos and chats hence bombarding themselves with negative minds.
              Comment>

Our men's group at church was discussing the statistical dominance of women in Church. One of the men related that in the part of Atlanta, GA where he was from, there were 20 female head of households for every male head of household. The result was that boys learned to be men from the pimps and drug dealers and gang members on the streets. They were waiting to scoop these boys up and teach them when no one else was. The church has a reputation on the street for being soft and weak. We are loosing the fight for the next generation.

We all know "train up a child in the way he should go ..." but have we thought about what happens when we don't train up a child at all.
                "There arose a generation that knew not the Lord ..."

(... and whose fault is that?)
                Last edited by atpollard; 08-24-2016, 11:47 AM. Reason: typo
                Comment>

I did a bit of research involving pre-marital sex among Christians and low and behold the link I have provided showed up on my FB page.
                  Do you buy what she's selling? - Faith Family America | Facebook

When the leaders of our Christian institutions and churches give a thumbs up to pre-marital sex, those same leaders have fallen into a state of apostasy and should be stripped of their position. (IMHO). Unfortunately, it is not only the pastors because the elders and deacons must be in agreement or said pastors and leaders wouldn't be in the position they are in today. The bottom line is that unfortunately followers will follow and leaders will always lead no matter the subject or the consequence.

A number of years ago I was among a group of Christians who revolted against a (touted as) U.S.A. Presbyterian church for their "permissiveness" regarding pre-marital sex and their aide to homosexuals by performing marriage ceremonies. They even provided the motel room for the "honored couples" on their marriage night.

To me, whenever a church has fallen so far from the Word of God it should be listed and placed on the net as to what they really promote. Perhaps not because some non-Christians are just looking to go somewhere to find a thrill.
                  Comment>

marriage is an institution. It was devised to allow the adults to have sex and have children. In ancient time, sex out side the context of marriage was disapproved and children born from unmarried parents were not accepted. However, these days sex and having kids oth are not related to marriage. Sex can happen between adults and they can have kids as well.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap