Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

When I think about God I get stressed out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I think about God I get stressed out

There are so just so many questions and requirements that it stresses me out. I'm a perfectionist and am an all in or all out type of person.

I understand why you feel stressed. I tend to be a perfectionist too. I am beginning to understand that we can't be truly perfect at anything we do and if we simply learn to accept some imperfection life will be less stressful.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus
      I understand why you feel stressed. I tend to be a perfectionist too. I am beginning to understand that we can't be truly perfect at anything we do and if we simply learn to accept some imperfection life will be less stressful.
      With the perfectionist aspect of myself I'm stressing about sinning. Sinning is a choice to go against God is it not? I feel like I am going to feel guilty for every single sin I commit for the rest of my life. Are we punished for sin?
      Comment>

Originally posted by sink View Post
        With the perfectionist aspect of myself I'm stressing about sinning. Sinning is a choice to go against God is it not? I feel like I am going to feel guilty for every single sin I commit for the rest of my life. Are we punished for sin?
        Sin is everything that is contrary to the character and the holiness of God. The reason that the Lord Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, and rose again for your justification, is that you could be free from the penalty and the power of sin in your life. Yes there is a penalty for all sins, and that is death. This includes both the first death (which is physical) and the second death (which is eternal separation from God in the Lake of Fire). However, those who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus receive the gift of eternal life and the gift of the Holy Spirit. And it is the Holy Spirit within the believer who empowers the Christian to overcome the power of sin.
        Comment>

There are so just so many questions and requirements that it stresses me out. I'm a perfectionist and am an all in or all out type of person.
          Hi Sink,

The thing is, is that our conscience can be used for good and bad. For the worse, the enemy can prick our conscience and leave us paralyzed. Also for the bad we can become callous toward the Holy Spirit which prompts of us sin through gentle convictions. Yes, both Satan and his minions can make you callous, and yes, the Holy Spirit does convict you of sins bringing you to confess them and to repent of them.

The key, at least in my life, has been through introspection. Examine yourself, ask yourself is the conviction about something truly wrong? If so, confess your sins to God and repent from them. And know, Jesus Christ's sacrifice is greater than all your sins. Every thorn, and the scouring, nails, and the spear that pierced Him was for you. Once you have confessed and repented consider the matter settled. It is the enemy that tries to remind you of your sins that you have confessed and repented from.

Understand the true meaning of confession and repentance. They are not empty words but full of meaning.
          • "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

Confession of sin is the first outward result of genuine repentance, is an admission to God of personal sin, whether public or private.

Repentance, also called penitence, is the God-granted attitude of having sorrow for personal sin and the turning away from it towards a new life.
          • Repentance unto life is a saving grace, whereby a sinner, out of a true sense of his sin, and apprehension of the mercy of God in Christ, doth, with grief and hatred of his sin, turn from it unto God, with full purpose of, and endeavor after, new obedience.
            • Westminster Shorter Catechism, Q.87

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Originally posted by William

Hi Sink,

The thing is, is that our conscience can be used for good and bad. For the worse, the enemy can prick our conscience and leave us paralyzed. Also for the bad we can become callous toward the Holy Spirit which prompts of us sin through gentle convictions. Yes, both Satan and his minions can make you callous, and yes, the Holy Spirit does convict you of sins bringing you to confess them and to repent of them.

The key, at least in my life, has been through introspection. Examine yourself, ask yourself is the conviction about something truly wrong? If so, confess your sins to God and repent from them. And know, Jesus Christ's sacrifice is greater than all your sins. Every thorn, and the scouring, nails, and the spear that pierced Him was for you. Once you have confessed and repented consider the matter settled. It is the enemy that tries to remind you of your sins that you have confessed and repented from.

Understand the true meaning of confession and repentance. They are not empty words but full of meaning.
            • "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

Confession of sin is the first outward result of genuine repentance, is an admission to God of personal sin, whether public or private.

Repentance, also called penitence, is the God-granted attitude of having sorrow for personal sin and the turning away from it towards a new life.
            • Repentance unto life is a saving grace, whereby a sinner, out of a true sense of his sin, and apprehension of the mercy of God in Christ, doth, with grief and hatred of his sin, turn from it unto God, with full purpose of, and endeavor after, new obedience.
              • Westminster Shorter Catechism, Q.87

God bless,
            William
            I just don't get it. A sin is a choice. So if it's a choice I should choose to never cuss, drink, engage in sexual list, etc, ever again?

I don't want to change my whole life/personality I just want to love and believe in God and have peace in that. It's not seeming to bring me a whole lot of peace.
            Comment>

I just don't get it. A sin is a choice. So if it's a choice I should choose to never cuss, drink, engage in sexual list, etc, ever again?
              No, sin is not a choice but it is your sin-nature. One is either a slave to sin or to God. God regenerates (born again) his children, giving them a new nature. You can flap your arms all day long and try to reach the heavens but you're grounded in your human nature. Likewise you cannot reach heaven because the natural man is grounded in a sin nature. Only God can save you.

Sanctification is a lifelong process, as long as you're in the flesh you will sin. You must strive against the flesh, this is Spiritual warfare. On this side of heaven no one is perfect, but salvation is from God alone. He (God) who began a good work in you will bring you to completion. Trust in Him and Him alone. Faith is an action based on belief sustained by confidence in God. Placing your trust in Him, and His provided atonement and propitiation is an example of your faith. It will be built up in time or rather in confidence.

Regarding your whole life, it will be changed. No one is partially born, they either are born or are not. You are either born in Adam or in Christ (from above). You cannot walk after the ways of the world and love God and love the world after its ways at the same time.
              • 1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Don't expect these things to occur over night. If you have a desire for God... . this is an indication that you're born again. Take note that a born again believer will persevere in the faith to the very last day. There is no turning back, only back sliding which will be temporary.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

No, sin is not a choice but it is your sin-nature. One is either a slave to sin or to God. God regenerates (born again) his children, giving them a new nature. Sanctification is a lifelong process, as long as you're in the flesh you will sin. You must strive against the flesh, this is Spiritual warfare. On this side of heaven no one is perfect, but salvation is from God alone. He (God) who began a good work in you will bring you to completion.

Regarding your whole life, it will be changed. You cannot walk after the ways of the world and love God and love the world after its ways at the same time.
                • 1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Don't expect these things to occur over night. If you have a desire for God... . you can have assurance that you're born again. However, a born again believer will persevere in the faith to the last day.

God bless,
                William
                Wow that is a good way to put it. So an important part is to not be a slave to this sin and try my best to live as Godly as possible?

A big question of mine is when I do sin, is every one of those sins punished by God? For example if I sin, will God make something bad happen in my life to punish me for sinning?
                Comment>

Wow that is a good way to put it. So an important part is to not be a slave to this sin and try my best to live as Godly as possible?
                  Yes, Sink, you must apply yourself.

A big question of mine is when I do sin, is every one of those sins punished by God? For example if I sin, will God make something bad happen in my life to punish me for sinning?
                  Punished, yes, not by the wrath of God but by chastisement. God corrects His children, when you were adopted into the family of God you just weren't loved for the way you were. You were loved despite the way your were, and now you're going to be made after the image of Christ, like the potter spins the wheel and shapes the clay. Part of the problems which really aren't problems that you have identified are your conscience convictions. The Holy Spirit is speaking to your conscience through Scripture, and you need to listen. Confess and Repent, then consider the matter settled. Again, introspection, examine yourself. Understand what the Holy Spirit is saying.

And be careful, don't fall into superstition. Good and bad things happen to people. Don't evaluate your life by the things that are happening outside of Scripture, but Scripture is the standard and the means by which the Holy Spirit convicts us of the Word of God.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

Originally posted by sink

I just don't want God to think I'm choosing to go against him when I sin.
                    Comment>

I just don't want God to think I'm choosing to go against him when I sin.
                      God knows you are going against Him when you sin. It was your nature passed down through Adam. But remember, God provided the means by which you may be reconciled to Him - Jesus Christ. God did not leave you defenseless, your new nature should want to put to death the old nature every day.

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

God knows you are going against Him when you sin. It was your nature passed down through Adam. But remember, God provided the means by which you may be reconciled to Him - Jesus Christ. God did not leave you defenseless, your new nature should want to put to death the old nature every day.

God bless,
                        William
                        Will I always have the nature of Adam? I just always need to try to minimize it and make sure I'm a slave to God, rather than a slave to sin?
                        Comment>

Will I always have the nature of Adam? I just always need to try to minimize it and make sure I'm a slave to God, rather than a slave to sin?
                          We don't lose our sin nature when we receive Christ. Paul bemoaned his own personal struggle in Romans 7:15–25. But we have help in the battle—divine help. The Spirit of God takes up residence in each believer and supplies the power we need to overcome the pull of the sin nature within us. “No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God” (1 John 3:9). God’s ultimate plan for us is total sanctification when we see Christ (1 Thessalonians 3:13; 1 John 3:2).

God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>

I once in-the-past asked myself why it's sweet/easy to sin.. For instance, the sins 'man' calls petty-sins like -getting a beer out with your friends/ clubbing/ coveting one's property by wishing that car or person was mine..
                            Have you ever read a scripture text that says, ''The heart is deceitful above all things.. -without Christ we are bound to fall to sin-choices'' ? That also made me think is Satan the only reason for mankind to sin? If the devil would be burned today alone and sinners left, would we still sin? By the Grace of Christ through repentance, we live and have our well being.. I've never for a day thought I'm perfect. Not even a moment.. We are imperfect, frail, and mortal..it's all by God's Grace..
                            Last edited by David; 07-06-2017, 05:25 AM.
                            Comment>

A person in order to be saved. Talk to God -- admit to Him that you realize you're a sinner -- that nothing You can do will earn you entrance to heaven / God. Nothing You can do - on your own -- will Ever be good enough to get yourself 'saved' / born again.

But -- Jesus Christ died on the cross For you, everyone, His blood washed away our sins from God's Sight. But, like any gift -- it needs to be Accepted. Jesus Christ died, was buried and Rose Again bodily from the dead. Salvation is a gift from God -- accept His gift -- thank Him for the salvation that He has provided / made possible for you.

Once a person believes in His heart / accepts in his heart the Lord Jesus and confesses with his mouth -- the Lord Jesus -- he will be saved.

Even once a person has accepted Jesus Christ as their Personal Savior -- he won't stop sinning. A good plan is to do what you know God wants us To do. Read His Word / the Bible/ talk to God Through Jesus Christ about Everything. When you realize that you Have done something that displeases God - admit it --confess it and ask for forgiveness. The Holy Spirit will give you new , improved desires to do what He wants. Everyone struggles with temptations to do wrong. That's simply satan messing with us.

It's a relationship with us that God desires. Christianity. No reason to be stressed out -- take those feelings to God -- talk to Him about it.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap