Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

Need to bring younger people into the church

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to bring younger people into the church

My church is very small and we have lost our pastor. The average age is between 65 and 70. We need to bring young people into the church. I am building a website Solid rock baptist church - Solid Rock Baptist Church and hope to use it to bring younger people into the church. Any ideas on how to bring people into the church would be appreciated.

I should hope your primary focus is securing a new pastor before moving forward with other priorities. A church without a pastor is like a ship without a captain. And, it may be that once you find your new pastor they will have ideas on how to draw in more young people into the congregation. A website may be able to help a bit, but you really need a pastor first.
    Comment>

I will pray that you find a pastor soon. A church that I used to attend recently disbanded because their pastor died and they couldn't find a replacement. I would hate for your church to suffer the same fate.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

I will share a personal experience with you. I'm 25 years old, non denominational. I'm very good friends with a Christian workmate and he invited me to his church's anniversary event. It was pretty cool because there was a lot of people our age and they had a lot of fun activities like dancing and singing. I thought it was a good place for me to join, since I've been looking for a church I could feel comfortable attending to. I didn't join though. The reason is, there were a lot of encouraging and understanding people, but there was also A LOT of judgemental and stuck-up people there. Us young folks, living in this difficult times, are sometimes uncomfortable when facing people who judge us. I have sinned, and I regret it, but I don't need another person pointing that at me.

I know you go to a church to get closer to God, not to people, but the people you surround can also be helpful (or not). I hope this helps.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Andy1947 View Post
          Any ideas on how to bring people into the church would be appreciated.
          By the word of God and by the Word of God alone. What we lead people by is usually what we lead people to.

I also suggest getting involved with your local community. Host events and use the events for outreach. Maybe get in touch with youth centers etc. It is important for potential members of your church to identify with the church as part of their very own community. Tap the local schools and colleges etc. See if there is something the church can do in order to be more integrated within the community. Blast those areas where youth collect such as schools etc. See if there's an after school event your church can do. Our church actually has an outreach program at the local secular schools. The parents and children love the program, and our church cannot provide enough people to teach and instruct the youth.

Having the avg age around 60+ does not give your church any reason to host Christian single and youth groups, but consequently gives no reason for the youth to attend your church. Perhaps planning a youth bible study once a month might be feasible, but before then actually promoting it would be most fruitful.

The congregation itself would be the best place to source your youth from. They all have family, and families include multiple generations. Perhaps instructing and teaching your congregation on how to reach out to family members would be something worthwhile?

Most young people only have an elementary understanding of Scripture. They generally attend secular schools and are educated to a point of higher academics concerning secular theory and arguments, but never grow in biblical knowledge. Hosting an apologetics lecture once a month will let people know that there is an actual intellectual defense of Christianity. Let them know that their 3rd grade understanding pitted against a secular education at the university level is only going to impair them. Equip the youth, but they need to know and understand "why" they even need to be equipped. One church in my area actually got in with the local college, they brought apologist in from all over the nation and would debate people from the college. The apologist would present his case at the church the night before, which would draw people from the college to the church to hear someone defend the Christian faith. Getting in front of people is a matter of marketing to a target demographic ..... Target the watering hole where the herd comes to drink.

Also realize that sermons need to be applicable to the youth. Such things as remaining single, courtship, marriage (rearing children) and divorce are generally topics which people under 40 are dealing with. Promote the sermons for Sundays. Let the public know that your church is a wealthy place of Scriptural information.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Originally posted by Vyck View Post
            there was also A LOT of judgemental and stuck-up people there
            You will find people like this everywhere you go. If you want to avoid them you will have to live entirely by yourself and not have contact with anybody.

And aren't you being judgmental when you condemn people like this? Perhaps you should try to get to know them better rather than refusing to associate with them.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              You will find people like this everywhere you go. If you want to avoid them you will have to live entirely by yourself and not have contact with anybody.
              You're 100% right on that. People like that are everywhere.

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              And aren't you being judgmental when you condemn people like this? Perhaps you should try to get to know them better rather than refusing to associate with them.
              I might be judgemental on that, and I might be a little bit insecure about my own flaws. Still (this is my personal view on things), when going to a place where you confess your sins and want help on how to avoid to committing more, the less thing you need is people telling you how wrong you are. You already know you did wrong. What I'm getting at is, we all need some love and understanding, especially when you reach out for help. Thank you very much for your opinion and view on things.
              Comment>

Plan different activities focused on youth. Later on, if you gain more you could form a youth group. Make them feel welcomed, I understand what Vyck is saying too. Younger people will stay where they feel comfortable. Some people can discourage them from coming again by making a comment, even if they didn't mean ay harm. Take your time to talk to them, younger people have problems too. Sometimes we need someone to listen, if they see interest they'll stick around. A website seems like a good start, I hope you find a pastor soon and that you can find younger people to join.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap