How can I stop my Aunt from being racist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I stop my Aunt from being racist?

My aunt would have been a perfect Christian, as she goes to church regularly. She is very religious and she is very nice to her friends and family members. Here is a catch though, she is very racist. She discriminate people from other race even if they are from the same faith. She judges people on their skin color most of the time. Family reunions always gets ruined because of her. I am not going to mention what particular ethnic group she hates but every time she talks about them I am being offended.

She have a foreign maid and she is also very rude to her.

You should tell her that we all are human being. No one has control over their looks or birthplace. God made us all the same. No one is superior than other. A racist person can never be superior due to their thoughts. It is God who knows better about a good human being. If we criticize on any race then its mean that we are finding mistakes in the God's work.
    Comment>

For one thing -- regular church attendance does Not make a person a perfect Christian. No one will ever be perfect while in this world. If nothing else -- a person could be guilty of Pride.

Apparently you are of the race that she doesn't like and is rude because she knows it bothers you. Sounds like your aunt knows very well what she is doing.

So -- one perspective would be -- don't go to the family reunions -- try to ignore her comments when she makes them -- talk with her privately about it and be prepared to get 'an ear full' . Maybe she's simply wanting to see if anyone is going to stand up to her.
      Comment>

I know we are conditioned from the time we are born to think that if we want something to go away we fight against it, but the truth of the matter is that we live in a universe where attraction is the order of the day. You cannot push against something that you don't like and expect it to go away. Whatever you resist persists and this rule applies to your aunt being racist and the effect it is having in your life.

I would advise you to look away from the things that are not pleasing to you and rather focus on your aunt's positive aspects. Shine a light on those and magnify them. Start to see her as exactly the kind of person you would like her to be and more of those aspects of her will begin showing themselves to you.
        Comment>

I am dating a black woman, I can imagine what her reaction will be. I already introduced my girlfriend to my parents but I will not introduce her to her because of the things she can say. She got raised on a culture where light skinned people are seen as beautiful. We are now living in an age where light skinned people tans their skin under the sun but she is stuck on her era. My grand parents are not even racist so I don't know what influenced her to be racist. She does have some positiveness with her personality. Her state of being racist is the only thing I can't stand.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
            I am dating a black woman, I can imagine what her reaction will be. I already introduced my girlfriend to my parents but I will not introduce her to her because of the things she can say. She got raised on a culture where light skinned people are seen as beautiful. We are now living in an age where light skinned people tans their skin under the sun but she is stuck on her era. My grand parents are not even racist so I don't know what influenced her to be racist. She does have some positiveness with her personality. Her state of being racist is the only thing I can't stand.
            Every creature is the creation of the God. No one has control over their birth skin color. Racist people should not be considered as human beings. If being a black person is bad then some white people like to tan their skins? There is categorization of people according to skin in front of God. It is our character that makes us better than other.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
              My aunt would have been a perfect Christian, as she goes to church regularly. She is very religious and she is very nice to her friends and family members. Here is a catch though, she is very racist.
              You cannot stop anyone (including your aunt) from having bad or faulty attitudes. What you could do is ask her to open her Bible to Acts 17:24-28, and ask HER to explain what this passage means. Hopefully the Holy Spirit will convict her when she sees the Scriptures.

24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
              Comment>

Racism can be due to a lot of reasons, past trauma with a different race, or just pure ignorance. I have no idea how can you help your aunt to stop being a racist, but perhaps making her meet other people from other races can open her eyes.
                Comment>

I think it is due to ignorance of literate people out there. I am really surprised that educated people also having the same thinking. We all are the creature of God and we don't have control over our birth color or race. We all are equal in the eyes of God then who else has right to categorize people with their race and skin color.
                  Comment>

I dont think you CAN change a persons racism. All i think you can do is pray for her and show her in the Bible that God says 1) He is not a respecter of persons ( meaning He loves us all the same ) and 2) that there is now neither bond or free, etc.

the mormon religion is very raciest, btw.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap