Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

Troubled Teenagers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubled Teenagers

I have a teen daughter who is going through some life issues and I feel like I have hit a brick wall and so on thought I would seek out advice here.

My daughter's dad and step mom are going through a divorce due to infidelity and he turned around and jumped into another woman's arms...and I am afraid, her bed right away. Not only did my daughter have to start dealing with the divorce, but now also having to deal with the other situation at hand. She has been acting out at school and at home and I can't seem to get through to her. She goes to youth group and church each week, but really only goes to be around her friends.

I am really struggling with her and I do not know what to do. I could use some prayers right now as well as advice. Thanks.

Originally posted by Rosyrain View Post
    I have a teen daughter who is going through some life issues and I feel like I have hit a brick wall and so on thought I would seek out advice here.

My daughter's dad and step mom are going through a divorce due to infidelity and he turned around and jumped into another woman's arms...and I am afraid, her bed right away. Not only did my daughter have to start dealing with the divorce, but now also having to deal with the other situation at hand. She has been acting out at school and at home and I can't seem to get through to her. She goes to youth group and church each week, but really only goes to be around her friends.

I am really struggling with her and I do not know what to do. I could use some prayers right now as well as advice. Thanks.
    Sorry to hear about your life issues Rosy.

If I may make a suggestion. Encourage her in attending church youth groups and hanging out among church brethren.

Things could be worse, she could rebel and surround herself with negative influence. Sounds like she has enough of that already.

Also, a family that prays together grows stronger together. Why not ask her to pray with you, either you lead or let her lead? Get into a routine. I suggest you both place your issues before God. Confess your sins together, ask for help and acknowledge your helpless state. Remember, don't lecture your daughter in prayer using it as opportunity for such. But sincerely direct your petitions, thanks, etc towards our living God. You may also ask your daughter to study Scripture with you using the time to break through the walls built up around yous. Sharing the word of God can reveal a tremendous insight into another person and where they are at in the moment and in general, life. Ask her for her insight, and if you both need help, purchase a study guide or devotional. Use your time together in building each other up as brethren instead of a familial pattern which is tearing down family (divorce and infidelity).

To share my personal experience, I did this with my mother for the last year I lived at home. I learned so much about my mother and how much she loved God. I saw a beauty in her I never could of imagined without. When I look back my fondest memories are sitting down at the table with her studying our beloved Lord.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

As a mother of teenagers,i have also gone through some of that face of parenting.One thing i know is that,when the devil rises up like a flood in our lives,God has promised to lift us up a standard where the devil can not reach us.This is not a promise for some situations,it is for all situations.strengthen your heart from within you with a prayer of repentance for the whole situation,then in humility ask God for what you need and you shall receive it from him.I too will keep you in my prayers and remember other people have gone through this in the past and others are going through it now.what matters is the outcome of it all.isaih 54:17 please read that.keep that word as your confession.Be blessed beyond meassure.
      Comment>

Thank you all for the kind words. She recently got baptized and I was excited about that. As some of you have said, it could be worse, she could be involved in crime or on drugs...i am thankful that this is not the case right now. I pray for the girl almost everyday, and I think part of it is that she is trying to figure out who she is as a person and how she fits into the world around her.
        Comment>

As a daughter (and former teenager who went through a very similar situation) I would suggest you not to pressure your daughter or her faith too much. In my case, my mom pressuring me to attend to church was what led me to several years of atheism. That led to me severing my connection to God and years of depression. Support her on pursuing a hobby, so she can channel her emotions (teenage years are a nightmare). Even she goes to her group just to see her friends, they can also help her stay faithful. I pray for you both, you're suffering as much as she is.
          Comment>

My kids are all adults now -- my older daughter has gone through a LOT. She's in her early 40's. The death of a 13 yr old son / one of 5 of her kids/ and two divorces / two mental health facilities/ several relationships since. All of that in the past 6 yrs. It's been rough for all of us. Being loving and supportive has been hard at times. But, God is also there. And, it Does help to know that 'we aren't the only ones having / going through rough times'.

It's very good that she's still going to a youth group -- her friends -- that encouragement. Bible study, prayer time are Good things to suggest -- but Don't Push. It Could be a good encouragement for her, but it Could make her feel Smothered , also.

Thank you for sharing your personal situation.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap