Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

Any Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas

Hey everyone. I Hope I posted this in the right sub-forum. Alright, bear with me here, I would love some advice, perspective and prayer if you would :).

I have a buddy who just recently met a homeless vet. This vet is struggling to manage his monthly check, hygiene and some psychological issues that resulted from being a P.O.W. in Vietnam for 5 years! My friend is willing to help be this man's caretaker for a couple months, but if he didn't feel morally obligated (being a vet himself) to put his life on pause, that would be ideal. My friend has called some domiciliary offices here in Florida, but if he doesn't​ have to send this homeless vet ( we'll call him "G") there that would mean the world to both of them. G has 3 dogs right now that he considers family and would probably be worse off psychologically​ without them. My friend/acquaintance was speaking of a hypothetical situation where potentially, G might be able to live in a trailer park or campground with someone being able to check in on him regularly. Whether or not a living arrangement like that is reasonable at this point is unknown to me. Utilizing Hud-Vash might be an option, but financially G is getting over $2000 a month from the government, so he could certainly work something out.

My first thought is to get him an appointment at the local vet center to get him some one on one help.

Is there any way that anyone knows to expedite the process or any other resources we are over looking?

Thanks for your input, if you can't tell, some of this is over my head. I haven't talked to G directly yet so I don't know if he is a brother in Christ, but I do know he has faithfully served our country through 2 wars.

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
    Utilizing Hud-Vash might be an option, but financially G is getting over $2000 a month from the government, so he could certainly work something out.

My first thought is to get him an appointment at the local vet center to get him some one on one help.

Is there any way that anyone knows to expedite the process or any other resources we are over looking?
    "G" is getting a substantial amount than I monthly and I am a Vet and also receiving SS for a medical disability. The thing about Veteran benefits is that there is a long line. And they expedite or put people in line based on need. In other words, if person A actually doesn't have medical or doesn't actually want to live on the street, then they're put in front of the list before person G that has medical and actually doesn't care about living on the street.

If someone pushes for G to get ahead in Veteran benefits, everyone else in the alphabet gets pushed back. In other words Veterans affairs deals with people according to directs needs. But it sounds like G's needs are already met especially in consideration of the time since the Vietnam war.

Quite frankly, I don't want to appear callous. My family consists of two that have served over Vietnam (1-3 tours) and other family members served in the recent desert wars. If G doesn't want to get better and receive professional treatment then there's nothing you or your friend can do "for him". Some benefits like HUD only go to people that are actively receiving treatment and have a case worker. I learned this in the past, wfred, I lived under a bridge for a bit in life eating dog food. I got on my feet and received help through the State, received HUD and had a place, then thought, I don't want to be bothered by a case worker or receiving treatment. They pulled all my benefits. This may vary from State to State.

If you're willing to lead G or the horse to water just realize you can't make him drink. You may want to contact your church or your friend's church. Dealing directly with the community usually churches have ties, affiliations, or may be able to advise you or directly help this member of the community.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William

"G" is getting a substantial amount than I monthly and I am a Vet and also receiving SS for a medical disability. The thing about Veteran benefits is that there is a long line. And they expedite or put people in line based on need. In other words, if person A actually doesn't have medical or doesn't actually want to live on the street, then they're put in front of the list before person G that has medical through the State and actually doesn't care about living on the street.

If someone pushes for G to get ahead in Veteran benefits, everyone else in the alphabet gets pushed back. In other words Veterans affairs deals with people according to directs needs.

Quite frankly, I don't want to appear callous. My family consists of two that have served over Vietnam (1-3 tours) and other family members served in the recent desert wars. If G doesn't want to get better and receive professional treatment then there's nothing you or your friend can do "for him". Some benefits like HUD only go to people that are actively receiving treatment and have a case worker. I learned this in the past, wfred, I lived under a bridge for a bit in life eating dog food. I got on my feet and received help through the State, got on HUD had a place then thought I don't want to be bothered by a case worker or receiving treatment. They pulled all my benefits. This may vary from State to State.

If you're willing to lead G or the horse to water just realize you can't make him drink. You may want to contact your church or your friend's church. Dealing directly with the community usually churches have ties, affiliations, or may be able to advise you or directly help this member of the community.

God bless,
      William

Ok. I've encouraged him to talk to someone at his church, but nothing yet. As far as I understand, my acquaintance actually can make this man attend a facility or center just by signing some papers that would make him the equivalent of a guardian. If by making G receive help Is "leading a horse" then yes, this is the case.
      Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post

Ok. I've encouraged him to talk to someone at his church, but nothing yet. As far as I understand, my acquaintance actually can make this man attend a facility or center just by signing some papers that would make him the equivalent of a guardian. If by making G receive help Is "leading a horse" then yes, this is the case.
        If your friend becomes the guardian then even if G doesn't agree he can be forced into a facility. They'll deem him safe on the streets or not. I don't know whether beyond that they'll keep him in the facility. That's what I meant and why I said you can't force him to drink.

Sometimes these people are delusional, wfred, what you actually say or preach isn't what they hear or remember.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Originally posted by William

If your friend becomes the guardian then even if G doesn't agree he can be forced into a facility. They'll deem him safe on the streets or not. I don't know whether beyond that they'll keep him in the facility. That's what I meant and why I said you can't force him to drink.

Sometimes these people are delusional, wfred, what you actually say or preach isn't what they hear or remember.

God bless,
          William

Yes, unfortunately I am not ignorant of the above. Thanks for your genuine take on this matter.

Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap