Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

Unsure About Halloween And What To Do While I Figure It Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure About Halloween And What To Do While I Figure It Out

For the past few years, I've helped my sister decorate for Halloween. A couple of years ago, I started to wonder if I should be celebrating it at all. Even without being sure, I participated anyway. I felt guilty. Not for participating in Halloween, but for putting my own desires and reputation ahead of searching for what God would want me to do.

For the first time, this year I said no. I know my sister was disappointed (and maybe a little annoyed), but I felt it was right to abstain until I find the answer. Usually, when I make a hard decision like that I feel relieved, but this time, I felt like if I added a heavy weight on myself. Anyone else relate? Or maybe any theories on why, because I'm still surprised by that.

Also, I don't want her to think I'm judging her for what she's doing. How do you practice your own faith, denying yourself certain things, without implying that others are wrong for doing what you refuse to?

Oh, and if you have any material on Halloween (for or against) I'm still searching.

We don't really celebrate it, per se, but we do small, fun things. Those would be candies or some such. We also used to give out tracts with candy when we would get trick or treaters. We live so off the beaten path now, though, that no one comes.

One of my guilty pleasures around that time of year is to read some classic horror books. I avoid the newer titles as they almost all have sleazy material in them. The Christian Research Institute some time back published an article about the topic and they reference the classic Dracula as an example of virtuous characters battling a monster. If you care to read it, it can be found here: Good Fantasy and Bad Fantasy
    Comment>

We do participate, but not for the same reason many people do. Most people do it just go around the neighborhood to get free candy, and dress up in different costumes. We do employ this part of it, but our motivation is to celebrate God's victory over Satan and his minions. Eventually, we are planning on doing a bit of a display in our front yard that will include some gravestones with scripture references that point to God's omniscience, and to use it as an opportunity to witness to people in our neighborhood.

Last year, though, during an elder visit we had our deacon tried to diplomatically admonish us about participating, but as I have alluded to it is really about the individuals motivation during the holiday. This deacon's family does not participate in Christmas for many of the obvious reasons, but I that is pretty much my most favorite time of the year. One reason is to reconnect with family, but most importantly reflect on what the real reason is for the holiday (the Christian reason, that is).
      Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post
        We don't really celebrate it, per se, but we do small, fun things. Those would be candies or some such. We also used to give out tracts with candy when we would get trick or treaters. We live so off the beaten path now, though, that no one comes.

One of my guilty pleasures around that time of year is to read some classic horror books. I avoid the newer titles as they almost all have sleazy material in them. The Christian Research Institute some time back published an article about the topic and they reference the classic Dracula as an example of virtuous characters battling a monster. If you care to read it, it can be found here: Good Fantasy and Bad Fantasy
        I'd like to nail a copy of Luther's 95 Thesis on everybody's door come this Reformation day. Reformation Day is a religious holiday celebrated on October 31, alongside All Hallows' Eve, in remembrance of the Reformation. It is celebrated among various Protestants, especially by Lutheran and Reformed church communities.

Trick or Treat? It’s Martin Luther -Christforums

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Something our church started a couple years ago is a Reformation Day celebration, where we will get together at someone's house and highlight contributions of one or more significant person in the history of the reformation. Last year it was John Knox.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post

I just finished. Very interesting read. Thanks! And would you believe that the work I was asked to do is Harry Potter themed?
            Comment>

I used to look at Halloween as an opportunity for evangelism. When children came to my house trick or treating I would give them candy and a tract or booklet that explained the way of salvation to them.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

I'd like to nail a copy of Luther's 95 Thesis on everybody's door come this Reformation day. Reformation Day is a religious holiday celebrated on October 31, alongside All Hallows' Eve, in remembrance of the Reformation. It is celebrated among various Protestants, especially by Lutheran and Reformed church communities.

Trick or Treat? It’s Martin Luther -Christforums

God bless,
                William
                lol I like this idea!! :) Although, I view the day as just something fun, and not celebratory in a dark way.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Emi857 View Post
                  For the past few years, I've helped my sister decorate for Halloween. A couple of years ago, I started to wonder if I should be celebrating it at all. Even without being sure, I participated anyway. I felt guilty. Not for participating in Halloween, but for putting my own desires and reputation ahead of searching for what God would want me to do.

For the first time, this year I said no. I know my sister was disappointed (and maybe a little annoyed), but I felt it was right to abstain until I find the answer. Usually, when I make a hard decision like that I feel relieved, but this time, I felt like if I added a heavy weight on myself. Anyone else relate? Or maybe any theories on why, because I'm still surprised by that.

Also, I don't want her to think I'm judging her for what she's doing. How do you practice your own faith, denying yourself certain things, without implying that others are wrong for doing what you refuse to?

Oh, and if you have any material on Halloween (for or against) I'm still searching.
                  Our Church celebrates Reformation day on the nearest Sunday to Oct 31. I find this very useful in helping people understand that in my faith, we will have nothing to do with Halloween. They know that our church does other things instead. If my relatives didn't respect that I'd be surprised. Perhaps your sister will see that it's not about you judging her- but you making a life choice to choose to celebrate life above death. All Saints Day (All Hallow's Eve) was originally a celebration of eternal life in Christ- remembering those whom Christ has saved and their service to Him and His church.

Now I must admit as I no longer abide in the US, I don't have to deal with Halloween much at all. However, if kids did come to my door, I would be more than happy to share some sweets with them, as this is the neighborly thing to do, and any act of giving is a good thing for our troubled world.

Comment>

If you felt guilty, that might have been a sense of conviction. Feeling pressured to do something anyway, is usually more a matter of peer pressure. I'm not judging you, far be it from me, but that's just how I see it. I think we each have to decide what is right for us, even if other people don't agree. You can reassure them that it is a personal thing and that you are not judging their choices.

I've been in this situation myself. Thankfully, our church has a fall festival instead of a Halloween party. It makes it easier for those who want to have some fun but do not want to take part in the questionable aspects of Halloween.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap