Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

Prohibiting to marry a person from a different religion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prohibiting to marry a person from a different religion

There is one local sect here that disallows their member to marry someone from another religion. The only recourse is for the other party to convert to their religion. From a layman's point of view, that is kind of strict because it is uncommon. However, in fairness to that sect's rule, marrying someone who has another belief may cause relationship problems in the future.

I have a female friend who is Catholic and had married a Muslim. At first, they were okay. But eventually, their relationship suffered because of their differences in religious culture. For instance, Muslims are allowed to marry up to 4 wives while Christians don't. That's already a cause of discussion to a Christian wife. Another issue is the religion of their children. Most likely, the children will be confused in having 2 religions at home. And in worst cases, the couple would divide the children like 2 will become Christians and 2 will become Muslims.

So I'd say that it is safer for the relationship to be married to a person with the same beliefs.

2 Corinthians 6:14-16

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God.

Setting aside any personal opinion that I may have, God says NO, DO NOT DO IT.
    I could provide reasonable arguments based upon what marriage is and how God uses it and symbolism, but what would really be the point.
    Once God has given his final answer, all argument becomes pointless.
    Comment>

Though many say love is blind I think when marrying someone they shouldn't do so simply because they are attracted to someone. Samson and Solomon are two people who married women they weren't supposed to and they regretted it. Don't know about Solomon but Samson did regret marrying a Philistine when his eyes were gouged out. God's precepts are the same in the OT, the NT times, and today. They don't change.
      Comment>

Actually, I rather doubt that in the situation of a Christian marrying a Muslim, that half of the children would be raised as Christian. The Muslim side of the equation would set the precedent I'm afraid. He would be the one in charge, being the man, and a Muslim, he would believe that his wife and children were his property to do with as he sees fit. He would also believe that Islam is the only way to God and most likely would not allow anyone in the family, wife included, to continue along the Christian path. His family and friends would most likely step in and persuade him to keep the family as Muslims.
        Comment>

It's more of an issue of beliefs, and that if you have a different religion with your partner, you would probably disagree with certain issues, and that would lead to fights and, eventually, separation. Don't get me wrong, there are instances where couples have successful marriages with different religions, but these are few and far between, and most of the time, and I'm not being negative, but these relationships usually end, because of disagreements, or because of negative reactions from their individual families, who would rather these people choose someone in their own dominion.
          Comment>

The Bible is quite clear, in both the Old and New Testaments, that believers are not to marry unbelievers (Deuteronomy 7:3-4, 2 Corinthians 6:14 , 1 Corinthians 15:33, et al.). To do so is to invite disaster.
            Comment>

I don't see how they got together in the first place unless they had no clue about their faith and each others. Sharia law is the exact opposite of the Old and New Testament. It should of never happened in the first place as god has forbid it and according to Shria law we are the infidels and shall be struck down. So you have to wonder if this is a true story or these are by far the most uneducated Christian and Muslim on the planet.

Comment>

Originally posted by joshuap View Post
                I don't see how they got together in the first place unless they had no clue about their faith and each others. Sharia law is the exact opposite of the Old and New Testament. It should of never happened in the first place as god has forbid it and according to Shria law we are the infidels and shall be struck down. So you have to wonder if this is a true story or these are by far the most uneducated Christian and Muslim on the planet.
                My sister married a Muslim from Kuwait. She claimed to be a Christian when they were dating, yet he still married her. It happens. BTW, the relationship was troubled and she ended up divorcing him.
                Comment>

Originally posted by BookishGirl View Post

My sister married a Muslim from Kuwait. She claimed to be a Christian when they were dating, yet he still married her. It happens. BTW, the relationship was troubled and she ended up divorcing him.
                  The Muslims in the West are different then the ones in the Middle East. Sharia Law is enforced for the most of that region. Women are treated like second class citizens and I doubt any Christian women would stand for it. Especially when there is a such thing as vaginal mutilation involved. Even if this guy was a easy going Muslim, he has a family that is probably hardcore followers and she has to abide to their religion, or as it is said in Islamic law, death to the infidels.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by BookishGirl View Post

Somewhat curiously, a Muslim man can marry a Christian or Jewish woman, but a Muslim woman cannot marry a Christian or Jewish man. So, the husband in this case may have been acting in accordance with his beliefs. However, our sister in Christ was not acting in accord with hers. :(
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post

Somewhat curiously, a Muslim man can marry a Christian or Jewish woman, but a Muslim woman cannot marry a Christian or Jewish man. So, the husband in this case may have been acting in accordance with his beliefs. However, our sister in Christ was not acting in accord with hers. :(
                      Is it against the bible for a christian woman to marry a man who is of another faith? I would think she would be free to try to win him for Christ.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by AnnaBanana View Post

Is it against the bible for a christian woman to marry a man who is of another faith? I would think she would be free to try to win him for Christ.
                        Hello Anna,

Yes, though marriage is a universal commandment given to all mankind, interfaith marriages for Christians goes against Biblically founded wisdom. Question, what makes you think "she" can win anyone for Christ? Especially in consideration of the male role of spiritual leadership?

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

I believe there is a scripture dealing directly with this. Of course I may need a few minutes to find it, but I thought it was about a wife being able to save her husband, if he was a nonbeliever. I know during the old testament, it was strictly forbidden. But I know of no scripture under the new law that prohibits this. If I am wrong, point me in the right direction!
                          Comment>

Originally posted by AnnaBanana View Post
                            I believe there is a scripture dealing directly with this. Of course I may need a few minutes to find it, but I thought it was about a wife being able to save her husband, if he was a nonbeliever. I know during the old testament, it was strictly forbidden. But I know of no scripture under the new law that prohibits this. If I am wrong, point me in the right direction!
                            I believe you're referring to 1 Corinthians 7:14. And no, that does not mean he is saved, but only that he/she is sanctified or set apart for the believing spouse. It is also on the topic of divorce and not contracting marriage. Paul declares that marriage is sacred and pure, and that we must not be apprehensive of contagion, as if the wife would contaminate the husband etc. We should bear in mind that Paul speaks here not of contracting marriages, but of maintaining those that have been already contracted; for where the matter under consideration is, whether one should marry an unbelieving wife, or whether one should marry an unbelieving husband, then that exhortation is in 2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

On the topic of salvation, consider John 6:44 - No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

My point in asking what makes you think she can "win" anyone was that salvation is monergistic. That is, salvation is from God alone.

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

I believe you're referring to 1 Corinthians 7:14. And no, that does not mean he is saved, but only that he/she is sanctified or set apart for the believing spouse. It is also on the topic of divorce and not contracting marriage. Paul declares that marriage is sacred and pure, and that we must not be apprehensive of contagion, as if the wife would contaminate the husband etc. We should bear in mind that Paul speaks here not of contracting marriages, but of maintaining those that have been already contracted; for where the matter under consideration is, whether one should marry an unbelieving wife, or whether one should marry an unbelieving husband, then that exhortation is in 2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

On the topic of salvation, consider John 6:44 - No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

My point in asking what makes you think she can "win" anyone was that salvation is monergistic. That is, salvation is from God alone.

God bless,
                              William
                              Right, no one can be 'saved' by their spouse. I agree with this entirely. Only from God alone.
                              but this:
                              "And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him," 1 Corinthian 7:13.

And the scripture dealing with how God wants a peculiar people unto himself, is the 2 Corianthians, chapter six. This scripture is not specifically dealing with marriage. I think it demonstrates how we are not to be of this world, generally speaking, we are to be different. The versus in First Corinthians plainly shows that being married to a nonbeliever is not prohibited. I believe that marrying a fellow believer is the wisest choice, however.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap