Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

Seminary- What to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seminary- What to do

Hi- Not sure exactly which section to put this in. It falls under several options, lol.

My husband wants to attend seminary. That would require us to move 2hrs north of where we currently live.
    We are having a hard time trying to decide if we should go ahead and move this year or wait another year due to finances. One of the catches is that we are having a hard time getting a mortgage loan b/c husband wouldn't be working full time. I am leaving some details out here just to keep this brief. We basically are weighing four different options right now.
    1. Move this summer, husband works full time in the new area and we continue to save up money so he can go to seminary next year.
    2. Move this summer, husband goes to seminary part time and works part time (provided he finds a job).
    3. Stay here for another year and continue to send our kids to a private school that they currently go to and to save up more money.
    4. Stay here for another year and homeschool the kids in order to save money. **This is my least favorite option. I really like the current school they go to and will be very sad to not send them there.

My question is: For the men who have gone to seminary, perhaps you could offer any thoughts/concerns you had prior to attending seminary and how things played out. I know this is a big decision and a lot of changes. How did you deal with it all? I am just trying to better understand the thought process to be able to help my husband better.
    For any women here with husbands that went to seminary, I welcome any input.
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Stacie Cook View Post
    We are having a hard time trying to decide if we should go ahead and move this year or wait another year due to finances. One of the catches is that we are having a hard time getting a mortgage loan b/c husband wouldn't be working full time. I am leaving some details out here just to keep this brief. We basically are weighing four different options right now.
    Hello Mrs Cook,

I have not attended Seminary but I hope you don't mind my questions. Why would you plan on getting a mortgage if your husband will be attending Seminary? Does he already have a church lined up should he graduate? Does he know the location where he will be stationed? In our Reformed church (OPC) an Evangelist goes out before the Pastor and prepares or plants a church and establishes elders before his coming. Just curious if your husband is in communication with the elders in his denomination? Besides corporate prayer, advice, and sharing of information, I would think that there may be financial aid?

I inquired on Seminary years ago, and there was available housing at the time for me as an individual, and this particular Seminary had family housing available.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Some seminaries offer online courses. Would your husband consider studying online until you can save enough money to begin attending seminary full time?
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

What is the housing market like where you are right now? What are the odds you will sell your current house at a profit (or even just break even).

Not a seminary wife or anything, but I did put my husband through law school when we were basically already poor. My two cents: God made it pretty obvious that he was supposed to go to law school and all the right doors opened. Lots of unexpected and seemingly bad surprises hit at the same time and things STILL worked out.

The mortgage situation is a tough one. Can you get approved for a loan WHILE HE IS STILL EMPLOYED and get moved in and then plan for him to go to school? Can you downsize if you sell your current house so you can afford a new house at a lower rate (bigger downpayment possibly, lower monthly payments).

Can you rent? Can you keep your current house and be landlords and use the rent money you MAKE to rent for the time he's in seminary?

Can he get loans that will supplement your living expenses while he is a student? (This is what we had to do.)

Not to throw another kink into your stress, but what are your healthcare options? Currently, things are bleak... that would be something you might consider as well.
        Comment>

I wish this woman would tell us what she and her husband did. But fro any one reading this I suggest that unless the Lord directs BOTh that seminary is Gods calling do not make such a move. Unless you are praying together, and the Lord opens the doors don't go. Do not take out any loans to get Seminary as this will hamper your ability to minister. God be with anyone reading this.
          Comment>

Hi- I just wanted to make a quick stop in here to update this post.

By God's love, grace, mercy and providence, we did move. We moved 2 months ago. My husband is in seminary and all is going well. I was dead set against moving in the spring, but again, by God moving in my heart, my husband and I both agreed that moving was the best thing for us to do. My husband's employer agreed to let him work part time and that allowed us to get a loan for a house. Praise God! ::smile::

I haven't been on here in a while.... between all the house listing, moving, packing, unpacking stuff and now the holidays, I haven't made time to log in. Thanks for checking in on me! ;)
            Comment>

By God's love, grace, mercy and providence, we did move. We moved 2 months ago. My husband is in seminary and all is going well. I was dead set against moving in the spring, but again, by God moving in my heart, my husband and I both agreed that moving was the best thing for us to do. My husband's employer agreed to let him work part time and that allowed us to get a loan for a house. Praise God! ::smile::

I haven't been on here in a while.... between all the house listing, moving, packing, unpacking stuff and now the holidays, I haven't made time to log in. Thanks for checking in on me! ;)
              Soli Deo Gloria!

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Be so very close to each other, encourage and pray with one another. I heard not long ago by a speaker "there are two voice that od speaks to us with: The Bible and our mates voice" Yes that takes a very special understanding to understand God uses our mate to speak for Him, to us. Oh how much I pray you grow and enjoy preparing for Ministry together. That is a key word "TOGETHER" as God has called YOU as much as He has your husband. God bless you both and you family!

justme
                Comment>

Originally posted by justme View Post
                  Be so very close to each other, encourage and pray with one another. I heard not long ago by a speaker "there are two voice that od speaks to us with: The Bible and our mates voice" Yes that takes a very special understanding to understand God uses our mate to speak for Him, to us. Oh how much I pray you grow and enjoy preparing for Ministry together. That is a key word "TOGETHER" as God has called YOU as much as He has your husband. God bless you both and you family!

justme
                  Hope my wife doesn't read this, but the difference between God and my wife comes down to yap yap yap yap! ;) Sometimes I think God's standard is much easier to live up to than my wife's.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

Something to work on with her? Men and women are so different aren't they!

justme
                    Comment>

Praise God!
                      Comment>

That's wonderful news Stacie! Thanks so much for following up to let us know how things turned out. My personal experience in seminary school, studying Pastoral Counseling, was not the best. But I'm so glad to know that God made a way for you and your family to move and get the loan for the house. That is such a "but God" moment. Congratulations and I wish you all the best and many blessings.
                        Comment>

I loved Seminary! But when I went it was about $375. a credit hour. Now its close to double that! All my student loans are done for and I thank the Lord they are! I was finished with them in 2006. Salley-Maye was so hard to deal with all the time. I now would advise that nobody take out a student loan. 20 years is a long time to pay for education you ave in te past. Especially so if you felt you got education.

justme
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap