A mysterious object seen in the sky for which, it is claimed, no orthodox scientific explanation can be found

If Alien Life Exists, would it need saving by Jesus Christ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Alien Life Exists, would it need saving by Jesus Christ?

Christianity teaches that we live in a Fallen world. And let's face it. We do. The world is a mess. And when you watch science fiction, it just as messy in space. And even in real life, there are space disasters. Look at the various shuttle accidents, and what-not that have occurred over the years. So, evidently, the Fallen-ness of Earth includes the entire Universe and all that therein lives.

Now, what does that mean? Does that mean that Adam and Eve's sin affected the entire Universe? Or does that mean that every single inhabited planet had its version of the Fall? If the latter is true, then that sounds almost like we intelligent beings are predestined to Fall! Maybe Luther and Calvin were more right than they knew when they talked about TULIP and The Bondage of the Will, and similar thoughts!

In any case, the next question is the following: Clearly Jesus Christ's Death and Resurrection is what saves US. But what about THEM, whoever THEY are? Are they also affected by Jesus' Life, Death, and Resurrection, or do they have their own Saviours, peculiar to their own species? Any thoughts?

The Bible describes the history of the human race, including it fall into sin and Christ's death and resurrection to redeem us from that sin. The Bible tells us nothing about other intelligent races except angels and demons. Angels never sinned so they don't need redemption. The Bible does tell us that Christ didn't die for angels. If God did provide a way demons or fallen angels could be redeemed he hasn't told us anything about it.

If there are other physical beings on other planets it is clear one of three things is true about each one of them: They never sinned and so don't need redemption, they sinned and God has provided another way for them besides the death of Christ, or God has made no provision for their salvation.

The Bible reveals some information about the future but says nothing about any contact between humans and aliens. If alien races exist we will probably have no contact with them until God has eliminated all evil from his creation and established the new heavens and the new earth. We will then encounter them as fellow servants and worshipers of God.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Forgive me, THEOPHILUS, for not responding sooner to your very interesting post. My wife has been dealing with a severe injury as of late, and I have had to help her. But I shall say, your response seems to make a considerable amount of sense. I had not thought of it in quite that light before.

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      The Bible describes the history of the human race, including it fall into sin and Christ's death and resurrection to redeem us from that sin. The Bible tells us nothing about other intelligent races except angels and demons. Angels never sinned so they don't need redemption. The Bible does tell us that Christ didn't die for angels. If God did provide a way demons or fallen angels could be redeemed he hasn't told us anything about it.
      Since God has made it pretty clear that Hell is eternal (ie, witness the Lazarus story in the NT, where the wealthy man asks for a drip of cool water and is refused), I find it unlikely that the Demons can be saved, or the Fallen Angels. But your point is well taken. We haven't EXPLICITLY been told.

If there are other physical beings on other planets it is clear one of three things is true about each one of them: They never sinned and so don't need redemption, they sinned and God has provided another way for them besides the death of Christ, or God has made no provision for their salvation.
      I am personally inclined to agree, although I allow the option that maybe Christ's sacrifice was sufficient for the entire Universe, and all that therein lies..

The Bible reveals some information about the future but says nothing about any contact between humans and aliens. If alien races exist we will probably have no contact with them until God has eliminated all evil from his creation and established the new heavens and the new earth. We will then encounter them as fellow servants and worshipers of God.
      Now that IS making a bit of an assumption, in the last paragraph. Why would our meeting them necessarily have to wait until AFTER the termination of all evil? I mean, it certainly could, I shall agree, but must it? Could we NOT meet them aforetime? And an even better question is, what would happen if we did?

Comment>

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        Could we NOT meet them aforetime?
        We could. There is simply nothing in Bible prophecy that indicates we will.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

It really comes down to whether or not they were created with souls. I think we could put them in the same category as the animals on this planet, as since they have not soul they do not require saving, and they will neither wind up in heaven nor hell.
          Comment>

And why would we make an assumption that they do not have souls? That is a MAJOR assumption to make! And we all know that to A$$ U ME is to make an A$$ out of U and ME. I would prefer you not do that to me, or for that matter, to yourself. And I am not trying to score a cheap shot here, but rather, to make a point.
            Comment>

I agree with Theophilus that there is nothing in the Bible that indicates that there is any life anywhere besides on earth, and in Heaven, and I do not believe that there are alien beings for outer space. The Bible speaks of angels, demons, fallen angels, and nothing else except the people he has created and watches over here on earth.
              What we call a planet the Bible refers to as a "wandering star", and does not really differentiate those from any other stars. One interesting prophecy is that in the end times , all of the stars will fall to earth.
              With our understanding of what a star is, this earth would be destroyed if even one planet or one star fell to earth. I think that we have more to learn about stars; but I don't think that an alien invasion is in our future.
              There has even been a lot of talk on the internet about a fake alien invasion, which would possibly be a lead-in to the dreaded one-world government. It would apparently be done with holograms, from what I have read. If this is indeed being planned, then we could expect there to be supposed UFO or alien sightings as a precursor.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Diego
                And why would we make an assumption that they do not have souls? That is a MAJOR assumption to make! And we all know that to A$$ U ME is to make an A$$ out of U and ME. I would prefer you not do that to me, or for that matter, to yourself. And I am not trying to score a cheap shot here, but rather, to make a point.
                For the same reason we know that animals do not have souls. Because God only made us humans in his likeness, which includes having a soul.
                Comment>

But ONE COULD suggest that the likeness of God is in HAVING a soul. In which case an Alien could have one just as much as we can. Who said that being made in God's likeness had anything to do with physical appearance? God the Father HAS no physical appearance.
                  Comment>

Interesting perspective, Diego.

I think at times we risk taking Scripture too painfully literally, and please understand by that I do not mean it is a flaw to take the Word at face value, but sometimes we bring our own limited perceptions into it. In God's likeness could mean living a life that is pleasing to Him, aspiring to emulate Christ and being worthy of His grace, not literally looking like God. In which case aliens' appearances would have nothing to do with whether or not they were made in God's image.
                    Comment>

Please excuse my delay in respnding. I have been having considerable difficulty in my marriage and in other aspects of my personal life. I won't play a game of spiritual striptease and lay my problems bare for you to see, but I won't deny the fact that there are problems. JESTER, I think you have a valid point. I for one have never thought that the "image and likeness of God" necessarily implied physical form.
                      Comment>

No need to be ashamed of having problems or spiritual struggles, Diego. We all have them. But yes, personally I've always thought of the "image" of God, if there even is such a thing in conventional meaning, as being beyond our own perception and comprehension.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Jester85 View Post
                          No need to be ashamed of having problems or spiritual struggles, Diego. We all have them. But yes, personally I've always thought of the "image" of God, if there even is such a thing in conventional meaning, as being beyond our own perception and comprehension.
                          I would say that is actually the opposite of what the Image of God means. Because we are made in the image of God our mind behind creation is reflected in very small measure, in our capacity for understanding and rational thought.

The Psalmist wrote,
                          • Palms 32:8-9 'Do not be like the horse and mule which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle '

Behind the "mind" of God we are given minds to inquire, God invites rational investigation into the universe and Himself, and to reason as Kepler put it, 'To think God’s thoughts after him.'

Sin did not destroy the image of God in man. Today’s passage tells us that even after the fall, mankind is still made imago Dei. All people still reflect, in some way, the dignity of the Lord, no matter how we have marred His image.... .

Thus we conclude that bearing the image of God enables us to share some of His spiritual and mental capacities. Being made in God’s image means, among other things, that we can understand His revelation, formulate plans, have fellowship with Him, and reflect His attributes, attributes such as dominion (v. 26).

Ligonier: In His Own Image | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org
                          God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap