Why should Christians feed a company and help it stay in business, “knowing that it is going to use money to support an anti-Christian agenda?”

Starbucks CEO: ‘If You Support Traditional Marriage We Don’t Want Your Business”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbucks CEO: ‘If You Support Traditional Marriage We Don’t Want Your Business”

Click image for larger version

Name:	Howard-Schultz-1024x683.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	31467

During the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting, CEO Howard Schultz had a clear message to send to investors who don’t support gay marriage: he doesn’t want your business.

Schultz went on to claim that Starbucks strives to “embrace diversity of all kinds.” He went on to tell a shareholder who stands behind tradition marriage to sell his shares and invest elsewhere.

Forbes reported that Schultz seemed hostile and intolerant of any shareholders who objected to gay marriage for moral or religious reasons.

What do you think? Is this a bad move on Starbucks’ part?

Source: Starbucks CEO: 'If You Support Traditional Marriage We Don't Want Your Business" - American News

Because of the CEO's open stance against people who object to the practice of homosexuality, he is contradicting himself, no longer "embracing diversity of all kinds." Kind of funny when you think about it. I think for Starbuck's it's a good business move but the the CEO not being able to keep his opinion to himself seems a little unprofessional to me.
    Comment>

Excellent point, Freed. As for me, even though I really enjoyed Starbucks mochas, I will never enter another Starbucks or buy their coffee again. Meanwhile, I think I will mail them my Starbucks card.
      Comment>

I with you Meg. If my money and my business is no longer good enough for Howard, and I'm not welcome in his stores because I hold Christian and traditional values, so be it. I will miss going there, but there are plenty of other coffee shops in town.
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

The OP article may be "fake news", in whole, or at least in part. Check out the rest of the story here: Did Starbucks CEO Really Say, 'We Don't Want Your Business'?
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post
            The OP article may be "fake news", in whole, or at least in part. Check out the rest of the story here: Did Starbucks CEO Really Say, 'We Don't Want Your Business'?
            He has said it in the past. This actually wasn't anything new. From 2015: Did Starbucks CEO just take a jab at Christian customers? - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com

From the article you shared, David, it seems that the latest comment was taken out of context.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Thanks Meg . Yeah it's too bad... we will save some cash however. I just go to McD's, but I'm not a coffee aficionado.
              Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post
                If he doesn't want a shareholder to invest i his company, I don't see where he respects his customers' values... I stand my ground, never again Starbucks. Small price to pay for standing for the Lord.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Meg View Post
                  If he doesn't want a shareholder to invest i his company, I don't see where he respects his customers' values... I stand my ground, never again Starbucks. Small price to pay for standing for the Lord.
                  Good for him saying exactly where he stands. It allows me to make an informed decision on my purchases. Hopefully it will also allow the shareholders to make an informed decision about whether they want someone running the company whose first concern is not the success of the business. If the earnings continue to fall, it only takes one vote to remove him.

For myself, I think I'll stick to Costa since they sell coffee, not politics.

Comment>

That's good to know. I'll take my business elsewhere.
                    Comment>

Yup, there is plenty of less expensive coffee to be had elsewhere. McD's, Burger King, local gas stations... Just a few that come to mind.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
                        Because of the CEO's open stance against people who object to the practice of homosexuality, he is contradicting himself, no longer "embracing diversity of all kinds." Kind of funny when you think about it. I think for Starbuck's it's a good business move but the the CEO not being able to keep his opinion to himself seems a little unprofessional to me.
                        The irony here is just... almost painful. I see it all the time. The "oh so tolerant," are really the least tolerant from where I'm sitting. They are only tolerant of the things they agree with, ha ha. They seem to have missed the meaning of the word.

I generally find it unwise to discriminate against people for simply having a different opinion. This is especially true when it comes to business.

He can do what he wants though. I don't like Starbuck's anyway. I think it's overhyped and overpriced (and apparently has a CEO with an overinflated sense of his own worldview).

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                        Yup, there is plenty of less expensive coffee to be had elsewhere. McD's, Burger King, local gas stations... Just a few that come to mind.
                        Yep, and they taste better too. Add Dunkin Donuts to that list. :)
                        Comment>

Originally posted by thisnthat View Post
                          Yep, and they taste better too. Add Dunkin Donuts to that list. :)
                          We should be getting one of those in a few months. If they ever finish renovating the building they leased.
                          Comment>

Many people may oppose gay marriage because their interpretation of teachings in the Bible forbids to endorse that type of relationship. The CEO may be pro gay marriage and it's his right to do so just as it's the right of others to have opposing views, therefore, he should understand that he does not have the authority to determine what others may deem to be acceptable or not.
                            Comment>

At a the shareholders meeting on March 20, 2013, Tom Strobhar suggested Starbucks had been financially harmed by its stand on same sex marriage, stating “In the first full quarter after this boycott was announced, our sales and our earnings — shall we say politely — were a bit disappointing.”

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz responded with:
                              "Not every decision is an economic decision. Despite the fact that you recite statistics that are narrow in time, we did provide a 38% shareholder return over the last year. I don’t know how many things you invest in, but I would suspect not many things, companies, products, investments have returned 38% over the last 12 months. Having said that, it is not an economic decision to me. The lens in which we are making that decision is through the lens of our people. We employ over 200,000 people in this company, and we want to embrace diversity. Of all kinds.

If you feel, respectfully, that you can get a higher return than the 38% you got last year, it’s a free country. You can sell your shares in Starbucks and buy shares in another company. Thank you very much."

Now I am all in favor of boycotting overpriced coffee simply because it is overpriced coffee.
                              I just found the actual remarks quoted in context interesting.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap