Why should Christians feed a company and help it stay in business, “knowing that it is going to use money to support an anti-Christian agenda?”

Boycotting Target?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boycotting Target?

I read there is a large scale boycott of the shopping chain Target. It has to do with their policy of allowing transgender individuals access to washing rooms and changing rooms that is of their gender identity, rather than their biological gender.

Do you think such a boycott is something Christians should take part in? Have you signed the boycott pledge? Do you think it will have any impact on the company's policy?

Originally posted by Nahum View Post
    Do you think such a boycott is something Christians should take part in? Have you signed the boycott pledge? Do you think it will have any impact on the company's policy?
    Yes. And no, I haven't signed a pledge but will shop elsewhere. Target lost over 1 billion dollars in less than two weeks after the pledge began. Last I noticed, there were headlines suggesting that Target has now lost over 4 billion in revenue and is in full panic mode over filed legal suits.
    Comment>

I think they thought it would be a good PR for them to be "ahead" in the equality thing when it comes to gender, and the bathrooms may have sounded like a good idea to begin with. But now, with the outrage of the public, I guess it totally backfired on them, as the backlash on this has lead to them losing incredible amounts of money. This is what happens when you try to "force" a change in the society, you either get praised for being an innovator, or you will be punished for making a ridiculous choice that people do not really like. I guess they deserve it, it was a terrible idea to begin with.
      Comment>

Thank you both for the notes. We too haven't signed any pledges, but our household won't be shopping there anymore. The prices were so-so anyway, but this pretty much ended any desire to patronize them.
        Comment>

I have stopped shopping there, especially since we have a Walmart right next door. I don't really go in for any kind of formal boycott, but they will, and have, lose my business.
          Comment>

We have also stopped shopping there. We stopped a couple years ago when they made a big deal about the "boy/girl" colors that their isles were. They changed them all to tan backgrounds. Truth is, I would never have noticed the isles in the children's section if they hadn't made a big deal out of it. Now with the bathroom thing, I wish they'd re think their actions because I was a very loyal shopper and prefer Target to the other stores around here. But it is not worth it to compromise my values, especially since I am my children's biggest example.
            Comment>

This seems a little over the top for me. Then again, though, I am generally not the type of person who is active in these sorts of things, plus I do not even shop there to begin with so it does not really apply to me. When it comes to issues like this, I think that it is something that is perfectly within the right of people to do, and it is a free market. I am not exactly sure of the case or whose views are the ones shaping the policies, but in most cases it is effecting people who are just trying to do their jobs, so in that sense you might need to have some reservations about it. It is certainly an interesting news piece, though, and I will be curious to see where it goes.
              Comment>

In somewhat related news, there was an individual arrested for felony voyeurism in a Target store. Said person identified as Transgender. The alleged perpetrator was caught taking pictures women in the changing room. There is details on the case here: Transgender Person Arrested For Taking Pictures Of Woman In Target Dressing Room
                Comment>

In somewhat related news, there was an individual arrested for felony voyeurism in a Target store. Said person identified as Transgender. The alleged perpetrator was caught taking pictures women in the changing room. There is details on the case here: Transgender Person Arrested For Taking Pictures Of Woman In Target Dressing Room
                  The proposed new laws regarding restroom use will make it easier for people to do this by pretending to be transgender.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

I really have no problems with it as long as everything is kept legal. If they arent hurting anyone else im not going to stereotype or tell someone how to live their life I don't believe that is what being a christian is about. I am accepting of everyone.
                    Comment>

We do not have a target in our general vicinity, but I do have an opinion on this subject. I believe there should be one bathroom choice for transgender people. I do not want to share a bathroom with a man, nor do I want my child in the restroom a man is in-even if the man chooses to dress like a woman or "identifies" with being a woman. I realize as a Christian we should be tolerant of others. I am very tolerant, as long as what they want to do does not interfere with me or with the safety of my child. Too many people have been caught already trying to say they are transgender and are just perverts trying to get in a different restroom. Stop the madness and go where you should go. Some transgender people are, in my opinion, looking the part good enough to pass for their identified gender. Who is going to question them if they are not making themselves known to be the other sex.
                      Comment>

I feel that boycotting Target over this issue is taking it a little overboard. While I can see the point and do not want my kids going into the bathrooms with a transgender individual (just because they will ask questions that I do not have a good way of answering), this feeling only applies to the way the restrooms in the United States are currently setup. If you have been overseas, especially in the European countries, they already have it set up so that there is only one bathroom for everyone. The key difference for me is that in those bathrooms, each stall is treated is its own "room", completely separated from the rest of the bathroom. The "common" area is for washing hands and waiting in line only. Just opening up bathrooms in the United States to transgender without building in the proper privacy features is where I have the problem. Once the United States moves to one bathroom for everyone (which seems to be an issue of when and not if at this point), on the positive side, maybe knowing that females will use the bathroom also, males may be more inclined to treat it with more respect.
                        Comment>

It appears that the boycott may be having some effect. Business Insider is reporting that overall sales have fallen 7.2% for the retailer. The company is now installing single-occupancy bathrooms in all of its many stores, at a cost of $20 Million. Details may be read here: Target is discounting everything to win shoppers back amid boycott
                          Comment>

The company is now installing single-occupancy bathrooms in all of its many stores
                            If that is the case, perhaps it is time to stop the boycott.
                            Clyde Herrin's Blog
                            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                              If that is the case, perhaps it is time to stop the boycott.
                              Maybe. I think we'll take a "wait and see" approach. They fact they waded into the whole transgender thing from the get-go is concerning. That and their prices weren't all that great to be begin with. Still, it does appear they may be getting the message.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap