The process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the earth

The apes

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The apes

If man evolved from apes, why do we still have apes? Would not all the apes have evolved into men? I know it's too logical! Mark

That is a very good question. Evolutionarily speaking they should have. Good point.
    Comment>

No evolutionist believes that men evolved from apes. They believe that apes and men evolved from a common ancestor. Of course the whole idea of evolution contradicts the Bible and it isn't even supported by science. Here are some good sites where you can learn more about this subject:

Answers in Genesis

Evolutionary Truth by Piltdown Superman

Science Against Evolution Official Home Page

We live in a culture in which evolution is accepted as proven science and is rarely questioned. I used to believe it because that is what I was taught in school. However most of the "proof" for evolution consists of claims that cannot be proved or verified. If you visit those sites you will find that there is a lot of evidence that contradicts it but most are either unaware of the evidence or ignore it or try to explain it away.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        No evolutionist believes that men evolved from apes. They believe that apes and men evolved from a common ancestor. Of course the whole idea of evolution contradicts the Bible and it isn't even supported by science. Here are some good sites where you can learn more about this subject:

Answers in Genesis

Evolutionary Truth by Piltdown Superman

Science Against Evolution Official Home Page

We live in a culture in which evolution is accepted as proven science and is rarely questioned. I used to believe it because that is what I was taught in school. However most of the "proof" for evolution consists of claims that cannot be proved or verified. If you visit those sites you will find that there is a lot of evidence that contradicts it but most are either unaware of the evidence or ignore it or try to explain it away.

I've never accepted evolution -- have always been a Genesis person. And a 24/7 person , too. And That isn't even very popular.

I'm familiar with the three sites you've listed.

The common ancestor happened something like 500,000 years ago or so? And before That?!

And some say that people have DNA very close to that of chimps? maybe -- rather than apes?! People are People -- not a series of mutations that took place over millions or billions of years to become humans like we are now.

Comment>

See, there was one tiny thing practically invisible that landed from outer space on a bunch of rocks, splitting it in two. One day they stumbled across each other and one said to the other, "Hi......you come here often?'" And the other thing told it to shove off. That's when it reared its ugly head and became an ape.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Winken View Post
            See, there was one tiny thing practically invisible that landed from outer space on a bunch of rocks, splitting it in two. One day they stumbled across each other and one said to the other, "Hi......you come here often?'" And the other thing told it to shove off. That's when it reared its ugly head and became an ape.

Hmmmm -- an interesting story. :)
            Comment>

The family of great apes includes five extant species. Namely: Orangutans, chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos and us.

As a general rule, species will evolve so as to adapt to their environment. Therefore there is absolutely no reason to suppose that widely seperated groups of the same species will evolve in the same way, if their environments are sufficiently different. In fact they don’t, and if enough time passes during which two groups evolve seperately, they will eventually diverge to the point where they can no longer interbreed. At that point speciation has occurred.
              Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post
                The family of great apes includes five extant species. Namely: Orangutans, chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos and us.

As a general rule, species will evolve so as to adapt to their environment. Therefore there is absolutely no reason to suppose that widely seperated groups of the same species will evolve in the same way, if their environments are sufficiently different. In fact they don’t, and if enough time passes during which two groups evolve seperately, they will eventually diverge to the point where they can no longer interbreed. At that point speciation has occurred.

Are we included in that group because we're all mammals / great apes -- which whales should also be included because they are also mammals?!

Only problem with That is that apes are animals and people are People. Apes would be considered part of the land animals that were created in Genesis 1. After all the various animals were created, Then God created man. Was was given dominion over the animal world.

It can be noted, though, that chimps , gorillas, etc are still being produced as are people.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
                  Are we included in that group because we're all mammals / great apes -- which whales should also be included because they are also mammals?!
                  The great apes are a subgroup of mammals, not the other way round. The five species which make up the great apes are grouped together because they are genetically very closely related.

Only problem with That is that apes are animals and people are People. Apes would be considered part of the land animals that were created in Genesis 1. After all the various animals were created, Then God created man. Was was given dominion over the animal world.
                  Even though we stand in a special relationship to God, my suspicion is that the objection some people have to being categorised as animals has little to do with theology, and a lot to do with emotion.

It can be noted, though, that chimps , gorillas, etc are still being produced as are people.
                  So? Are we on to that old fallacy about a dog never giving birth to a cat? No Latin speaker ever produced French speaking progeny, but here we are today, with precious few Latin speakers in France, and all Frenchmen speaking a language which evolved from Latin.
                  Comment>

Even though we stand in a special relationship to God, my suspicion is that the objection some people have to being categorised as animals has little to do with theology, and a lot to do with emotion.
                    It has nothing to do with emotion but with the fact that we believe what the Bible says.
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

The great apes are a subgroup of mammals, not the other way round. The five species which make up the great apes are grouped together because they are genetically very closely related.

So? Are we on to that old fallacy about a dog never giving birth to a cat? No Latin speaker ever produced French speaking progeny, but here we are today, with precious few Latin speakers in France, and all Frenchmen speaking a language which evolved from Latin.

Isn't language in a different catagory?! God created 'language' at the Tower of Babel -- people were determined that they were smart enough to build a tower that would reach heaven. God chose to confound the basic language that everyone had been speaking. So God 'created' the various languages. He also gave people the ability to be linguistically gifted. Some of us only learn one language -- others learn multiple languages. And, yes, over time, some languages Have died out. People don't speak Hebrew or Greek -- Latin is still taught, though not especially spoken.

However birds only chirp, frogs have their own sounds, horses theirs, pigs, their own. But you Don't hear pigs talking horse language. Birds don't bark. Dogs don't chirp. Cats Meow, they don't bark. AND they don't learn human languages. People can mimic the sounds of various animals, but animals don't mimic human's -- with the exception of parrots. Parrots actually Can mimic human language.

So -- animals and humans Are on a different linguistic level. People have Both written and spoken language. Animals have only audio capabilities.

And it's Also a fact that dogs never give birth to cats.
                      Comment>

People don't speak Hebrew or Greek...
                        That will be news to people in Israel and people in Greece.

Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                          That will be news to people in Israel and people in Greece.
                          Guess I've never given any thought to What language was spoken in those countries. I honestly thought that Hebrew and Greek are 'dead' languages. Or is it Latin that isn't spoken any more.
                          Comment>

Guess I've never given any thought to What language was spoken in those countries. I honestly thought that Hebrew and Greek are 'dead' languages.
                            I was kind of poking fun at you. While it is true that modern Hebrew and Greek are not the same as classical Hebrew or Koine Greek, native speakers\readers can no doubt follow the text.

Or is it Latin that isn't spoken any more.
                            Correct, no one speaks Latin as their native language.
                            Comment>

Isn't language in a different catagory?! God created 'language' at the Tower of Babel -- people were determined that they were smart enough to build a tower that would reach heaven. God chose to confound the basic language that everyone had been speaking. So God 'created' the various languages.
                              The evolution of the romance languages from Latin is something which happened well within recorded history, so there is really no debate there.

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap