Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which god is the true one and how can we tell?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which god is the true one and how can we tell?

This is one of the most raised questions by our atheist brothers. Most of them, basing on this, seem to have resolved to become non-believers after being unable to get the appropriate answer.

Honestly, I think about this every other day-how do we really know that indeed the God we believe in we as Christians is the one to be worshiped ? Why not the god in the Muslim context or any other world religions?

Originally posted by Onliner View Post
    This is one of the most raised questions by our atheist brothers. Most of them, basing on this, seem to have resolved to become non-believers after being unable to get the appropriate answer.

Honestly, I think about this every other day-how do we really know that indeed the God we believe in we as Christians is the one to be worshiped ? Why not the god in the Muslim context or any other world religions?
    Christianity is an exclusive religion. No other religious leader, not Krishna, Buddha, Muhammad ever claimed to be God. Either Jesus was a lunatic and liar or one has to acknowledge that he is the standard bearer for "the way the truth and the life" and "nobody comes to the Father except through Him". Either Jesus was the perfect example or He was a liar - a far cry from a mere moral teacher. You'll have to examine and understand the Scriptures testify to the attributes of our God, and then you'd need decide whether other gods share those same attributes. I think it is evident that all religions only appear superficially the same which usually testifies to the lack of knowledge of the person making such claims. Anyone studying indepth the Christian Scriptures can identify that the only thing in common we have with other religions is the concept of a higher power and the English name for such higher being (God), but again, our God's attributes are quite different. We believe in the same God as Abraham, Issac and Jacob. The one God whose Son was seen by the saints in the OT (Genesis 3:15) through forward looking faith at his coming. The same God whose NT saints have a historical looking faith at Him already come.

God bless,
    William

Comment

There's always the Baal test that Elijah did... We could try that... I mean, not we, cause we're sinners, but we could appoint a holy person of our times to do it...

Comment

When we look at God through the person of Jesus Christ, we see that he gives us the love, knowledge, and answers to navigate through life. Only the claims of Jesus and the Bible (when compared to other religions claims) stand the test of time and prove to be consistently true. This is something I've come to see over the years. The God of the Bible also reveals himself to us on a personal level, showing us his provision and peace even when we don't always see it. Of course however, until that day when he takes us to be with him, we live by faith and not by sight. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Onliner View Post
          I think you will find many athiests simply remove God entirely from their world view, and replace what religion teaches with a scientific or sometimes New Age view. If science can explain how everything happens, they feel there is no need for a God or religion. They forget that what science doesn't teach is why things happen and why they happen the way they do. Agnostics are the ones who think there might be a God, but they don't know.

Asking how we "really know" seems to be an odd question, when you are talking about faith. There's an old line that "knowledge denies faith" so if you know you cannot have faith because you have knowledge.

Comment

We can know that the Christian God is true because Jesus is the only one that defeated sin. It is easy to tell that sin exists in this world with all of the crime and abuse that takes place each day. He is also the only God who expressed his love for the world in that way, while other religions have no substance to what they believe in.Besides Hinduism believing that we turn into a different creature and Buddhism believing that God can grant us peace on earth, there are no realistic ideas on how salvation can be obtained.

Mark Slaney

Comment

Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
              There's always the Baal test that Elijah did... We could try that... I mean, not we, cause we're sinners, but we could appoint a holy person of our times to do it...
              A holy person of our times? Who might that be?

Isn't everyone on earth a sinner? That's what I believe. Some might try harder than others, but all of us sin. I don't know of anyone who is truly "holy."

Comment

Originally posted by thisnthat View Post

A holy person of our times? Who might that be?

Isn't everyone on earth a sinner? That's what I believe. Some might try harder than others, but all of us sin. I don't know of anyone who is truly "holy."
                For Catholics I suppose the nearest thing to a "holy person of our times" would be the Pope, since there's that doctrine of Papal Infallibility. I don't think there is really a Protestant equivalent. Since the different Christian denominations disagree on the criteria for sainthood, what is meant by sainthood and what saints do (and normally that criteria is met post-mortem), finding someone everyone agrees a holy person could be very tricky.

Besides, going back to Lucian Hodoboc's post about the Baal test, isn't there a verse, Luke 4:12, that is very blunt about not putting God to the test? If Jesus tells you outright not to test God, isn't it a given that any test will fail, or not produce the result you are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
                  Besides, going back to Lucian Hodoboc's post about the Baal test, isn't there a verse, Luke 4:12, that is very blunt about not putting God to the test? If Jesus tells you outright not to test God, isn't it a given that any test will fail, or not produce the result you are looking for?
                  Then why did it work for Elijah? Why didn't God punish Elijah for testing Him?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
                    Then why did it work for Elijah? Why didn't God punish Elijah for testing Him?
                    Elijah tested God under the old Covenant. Jesus fulilled that covenant and replaced it with a new one, that Christians should live by.

However if you are refering to 1 Kings 18:22 that was not Elijah testing God, that was Elijah proving Baal false using a sign from God, in the same way that Moses was given signs to use before the Pharoah. If God tells someone to do something, it isn't testing God for them to do it (although several prophets tested his patience by going and doing something else instead, like Jonah).

Comment

Elijah tested God under the old Covenant. Jesus fulilled that covenant and replaced it with a new one, that Christians should live by.

However if you are refering to 1 Kings 18:22 that was not Elijah testing God, that was Elijah proving Baal false using a sign from God, in the same way that Moses was given signs to use before the Pharoah. If God tells someone to do something, it isn't testing God for them to do it (although several prophets tested his patience by going and doing something else instead, like Jonah).
                      Nowhere is it mentioned that God told Elijah to do what he did, like it is mentioned in Moses' case.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Slaney View Post
                        We can know that the Christian God is true because Jesus is the only one that defeated sin. It is easy to tell that sin exists in this world with all of the crime and abuse that takes place each day. He is also the only God who expressed his love for the world in that way, while other religions have no substance to what they believe in.Besides Hinduism believing that we turn into a different creature and Buddhism believing that God can grant us peace on earth, there are no realistic ideas on how salvation can be obtained.

Mark Slaney
                        "there are no realistic ideas on how salvation can be obtained." beg to differ sir, "For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13

Comment

If God can use a lying spirit 1 Kings 22:19-23 as was in the case of Ahab, I'm sure He can use a "mocking" Prophet.

God bless,
                          William

Comment

I would say that my faith is the strongest. I'm a Roman Catholic but mostly become my parents wanted me to become one. I think a lot of children grow up around religion because of that. But I wonder, is there really a God? And if there is what is there to say that the one I believe in is the one true God? It's difficult to tell isn't it and I think it will be one discussion/debate that will never be answered unless God himself appears to us. Everything we believe in is based on the Bible is it not? Therefore you can understand why there are so many non-believers who may not have as strong a faith as us.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcool52 View Post
                              I would say that my faith is the strongest. I'm a Roman Catholic but mostly become my parents wanted me to become one. I think a lot of children grow up around religion because of that. But I wonder, is there really a God? And if there is what is there to say that the one I believe in is the one true God? It's difficult to tell isn't it and I think it will be one discussion/debate that will never be answered unless God himself appears to us. Everything we believe in is based on the Bible is it not? Therefore you can understand why there are so many non-believers who may not have as strong a faith as us.
                              I have to agree with you on one thing; it's hard to tell. Mostly because most of us were taught to know and belive one God.
                              my question is, if you have nêver êxprienced another God, how can you conclude that the one you know is the true one?

Comment

Sponsors

Collapse

Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap