If you want to discuss atheism, agnosticism, and secular humanism in general, this forum is the place to be! Got any news / activism related to the atheist movement?

a question?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phil boyce-bottoms
    started a topic a question?

a question?

If the birth of jesus was the greatest event in the hustory of mankind,
    Why did only nine people turn up?

• To_the_point
    replied
    Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post

How comes god let's terrorist attacks happen, if there was a god, surely this wouldn't be happening?
    It rains on the Just and unjust alike.

Leave a comment:

• phil boyce-bottoms
    replied
    Common sense!
    Look at how life has adapted to harsh and extreme environments our planet has to offer.
    life is an incredible force.

Leave a comment:

• peppermint
    replied
    This how big our sun is to the rest of the known stars. How comes this is the only planet with life on it?
    Doesn't your question assume that this is the only planet with life on it? That's something that appears to be unknown to human beings at this time. Do you have knowledge of this? If you do what is the source for this knowledge?

Leave a comment:

• William
    replied
    Soooooo..........
    If you had two children that were fighting over a toy that both of them wanted, and one of them had their hands around the others throat, you would stand by and watch?

But, also,
    God told Noah to build an ark, because of what was happening to mankind, and was going to start again.
    What's changed now,
    It's probably more evil going no now, then beck in Noahs time,
    So,
    Why then, and not now?
    Do you have any thoughts of your own to share, Phil?

As to your example, perhaps I would stand by and watch these things unfold:

1) child A kills the other for the toy
    2) child B holds onto the toy which values greater than life

What do you think God should do? Intervene in the evil of idolatry? Or let idolaters destroy themselves?

To answer your question, I suppose, as a parent, I may intervene with a reading from Scripture to both children. Close the covers to the good book, drop the toy in the middle of the floor in a neutral position, and then shut the door behind me as I turn my back to them. Unless, that is, you're suggesting that I have the authority to wield the sword (belt or switch) to combat evil?

God bless,
    William

Leave a comment:

• phil boyce-bottoms
    replied
    This how big our sun is to the rest of the known stars. How comes this is the only planet with life on it?

Leave a comment:

• peppermint
    replied
    The last three posts above looks kind of random :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• phil boyce-bottoms
    replied
    Can anyone answer a question, without quoting from the bible?

Leave a comment:

• phil boyce-bottoms
    replied
    Soooooo..........
    If you had two children that were fighting over a toy that both of them wanted, and one of them had their hands around the others throat, you would stand by and watch?

But, also,
    God told Noah to build an ark, because of what was happening to mankind, and was going to start again.
    What's changed now,
    It's probably more evil going no now, then beck in Noahs time,
    So,
    Why then, and not now?

Leave a comment:

• Stratcat
    replied
    Read the book of Revelation and Matthew 24, Phil. You will see God plans a lot worse to happen as a judgment from God because of the hand of man and Satan. Then shall the end come by Jesus and His righteous judgment. God not only allows these things, but they are in His plan from the foundation of the world. His ways are beyond our understanding. We are talking about the Creator of all that is, after all. Who can know His ways and reasons? Yes God is love, but He is also a judge. He is also our Savior from sin and death to all who believe. It is man's disbelief that sends him to hell for eternity.

Leave a comment:

• peppermint
    replied

How comes god let's terrorist attacks happen, if there was a god, surely this wouldn't be happening?
    [SIZE=16px][FONT=trebuchet ms]God lets people choose all sorts of things to do in their life so how, exactly, is God supposed to stop the bad guys from shooting the good guys without either stopping them from being bad (which seems to be what they want to be) or by killing them (which would leave their families and friends wondering "Why God!!?" since they'd die before they did bad stuff that explains why they get killed). If people are allowed to choose between doing this thing or the other thing that is within their capabilities and God allows that then what basis can one have for complaint when some decide to do bad things? It's their decision, entered into freely by their own choice. So it looks like either the freedom to choose is important or God has to start acting like Zeus in Greek Mythology casting thunderbolts against bad people for reasons that nobody on earth has a clue about.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Leave a comment:

• phil boyce-bottoms
    replied
    Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
    God is at every birth, for He is omniscient! Still, Phil, tricks are for kids.

Leave a comment:

• phil boyce-bottoms
    replied
    Can someone explain this?
    I thought Christianity was all about 'love thy neighbour'?

Leave a comment:

• Stratcat
    replied
    God is at every birth, for He is omniscient! Still, Phil, tricks are for kids.

Leave a comment:

• Jason T V
    replied
    I'm not sure where you get the number 9 from. Actually, at the moment of Jesus' birth, there were only three there - Joseph, Mary and God. if God shows up at your birth, that makes it the most important event in history.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap