If you want to discuss atheism, agnosticism, and secular humanism in general, this forum is the place to be! Got any news / activism related to the atheist movement?

Problem with Hell?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Hell?

I was listening to arguments with Christians vs. Atheist and Sam Harris came up. I hadn't heard of him before. My biggest problem was that he brought up children dying. My mom told me that children don't go to hell but I don't actually know the verse that supports this. I just think it's odd to blame God that people don't believe in him instead of some polytheistic religion. I also think he's confusing his understanding of fair and just. God isn't fair, we are not all born the same, some are born to privilege others are born in poverty. Only faith, or lack of faith, can change it. But God is just because he smites the wicked and sends them to hell for their sins. Sam Harris sees the world in a linear way while God knows the beginning and the end, so his perspective is the forest for the trees. I think the problem was that he was trying to apply human perspective on a holy being. I haven't read enough of the bible to pull out verses to counter him but his argument is flaw because he assumes he knows the truth. What do you think?

Comment>

Look man, people send themselves to Hell and for one reason, not believing on the son of God, we are all wicked, dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking, sinners were just saved by grace through faith.

Now about children not going to Hell you want the age of accountability which is debatable as well because some say its like 5 or ten even as high as age 21.
      Deut 1:39, James 4:17 etc.

And yes God is unfair, we didn't deserve His son to come suffer for us to die an agonizing death it was unfair to Him, and it is unfair that we don't get the death and Hell we deserve, also unfair to Him, we deserve nothing what we do get is grace and His grace is sufficient.
      Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
        I was listening to arguments with Christians vs. Atheist and Sam Harris came up. I hadn't heard of him before. My biggest problem was that he brought up children dying. My mom told me that children don't go to hell but I don't actually know the verse that supports this. I just think it's odd to blame God that people don't believe in him instead of some polytheistic religion. I also think he's confusing his understanding of fair and just. God isn't fair, we are not all born the same, some are born to privilege others are born in poverty. Only faith, or lack of faith, can change it. But God is just because he smites the wicked and sends them to hell for their sins. Sam Harris sees the world in a linear way while God knows the beginning and the end, so his perspective is the forest for the trees. I think the problem was that he was trying to apply human perspective on a holy being. I haven't read enough of the bible to pull out verses to counter him but his argument is flaw because he assumes he knows the truth. What do you think?
        Hi LoF, it's true that babies are conceived with a fallen nature (Psalm 51:5) thanks to the disobedience of our progenitors, but God doesn't judge our "nature", He judges our thoughts, our words, and our deeds, based upon our personal knowledge and understanding of the Law (see Romans 2:12-16), be that the Mosaic Law, or simply the basic set of moral laws that God writes in each man's heart.

Babies have no personal knowledge or understanding of God's laws, so they cannot be judged. Those who die at such an early age are always Heaven-bound as a result.

Yours in Christ,
        David

Children (infants, toddlers, and pre-born) who die go to be with God :)
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

An interesting lesson I just received in the fallen nature of man came from a discussion on Atheism where a Hindu asked if God (of the Bible) is "immoral"? It took some time to comprehend his definitions of "moral" and "immoral" since he has such a different frame of reference. I don't think that he is actually capable of grasping the concept that created beings (like us) can only derive value from our relationship to our Creator (God). It is simply too foreign a concept for him to accept. He has "innate value" because he matters to himself and that is what is important (so he claims).

I am more familiar with our garden variety "evil" from my personal experience, it is interesting to see narcissistic depravity presented as "morality".
          By the grace of God, I can even "prove" (in the sense of a 'logical argument') that God is "moral" under his warped definition of "morality" ... God recognizes the innate value of human beings and repeated goes to extraordinary lengths to not only affirm their worth, but to demonstrate his love. God even values our lives more than his own (which is "super moral" by his definition).

I do not expect to convince him of Truth, I merely hope to defend God's honor in the public arena.
          Like the argument by Sam Harris, it was an attack on God's honor ... nobody talks smack about my God while I am around. :)
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap