The branch of science that deals with celestial objects, space, and the physical universe as a whole

Do you believe in horoscopes?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in horoscopes?

Almost all of my life, I have been seeing varied versions of the daily horoscopes in many newspapers and magazines. I have always been thinking to myself that even though many people may have similar birth signs their situations are never generally similar, therefore, if these is going to be a one reading for all these people, it could not be right. There is that uses previous day's horoscope reading broadcast on a certain'days reading is not available. This is sending a message that these reading are possibly not credible.

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
    Almost all of my life, I have been seeing varied versions of the daily horoscopes in many newspapers and magazines. I have always been thinking to myself that even though many people may have similar birth signs their situations are never generally similar, therefore, if these is going to be a one reading for all these people, it could not be right. There is that uses previous day's horoscope reading broadcast on a certain'days reading is not available. This is sending a message that these reading are possibly not credible.
    I draw your attention to Bertram R. Forer.

Bertram Forer - Wikipedia

Barnum effect - Wikipedia

Link

Comment>

There is good reason to believe horoscopes in newspapers and magazines are as accurate as fortune cookies.
      Comment>

It's hard to believe in these types of things because these people that claim to be able to read your future claim to have their very own powers. If there was some sort of religious backing, maybe people sent by God then it would make it a bit easier to believe but for me I'm skeptical. It's weird though because sometimes you read a horoscope and it gets several factors about you or your day right but the way they have been written it is quite vague and in a way that it could be applied to a lot of people. It's one of those things, it doesn't affect anybody that much so it doesn't matter if you believe it or not to be honest.
        Comment>

While astrology and generally celestial bodies were very important for various denominations of believers since the times of the Old Testament, referred to as hokmat ha-nissayon, "the wisdom of prognostication" by the Hebrew ,technichally its direct use for divination (any plain old future telling) is forbidden in the Bible.
          However, I'm very sceptical about the version of astrology we are spoon-fed today. A lot of it has been arbitrarily changed or freely intepreted over the time, to the extent of being nothing like the art that mystics practiced. While I respect that there's cultures and religious denominations out there that use the paradigm of astrology to seek their inner peace, today what we see as "astrology" is nothing more than hollow divination either for the sake of entertainment or for the misled belief that these divinations hold some deep meaning. The number of astrologists who actually know what it is that they are practicing are very few, so even if it were withing the margins of my faith, the inconsistency alone does a lot to undermine a horoscope's credibility.
          All in all, I'm not thrilled to flip to the zodiac collumn of a magazine.

There is an underlying danger from a spiritual standpoint, when one dwells too much on divination, whether it's against or within one's beliefs. As practical as it sounds to know the future, it's very easy to fall into the pitafal of tailoring your whole life and choices around something which was meant to be a tool. That's the case with many people who hold too little faith in the Lord's plan or even in themselves (if we want to be more general about it). In that case, what would happen to the questioner if they missintepreted the signs somehow? Clinging to something like that can be a recipe for dissaster.
          Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
            There is good reason to believe horoscopes in newspapers and magazines are as accurate as fortune cookies.
            I've worked in media and the media love them because they are cheap, easily written, space fillers that can earn money through phone calls. From the point of view of the people who publish the columns, predicting the future accurately for everyone who reads the paper in 100 or less words is not, shall we say, the main focus. Instead they are written to be vague and generic so that people can easily adapt the words to fit their circumstances e.g. "You will face a challenge today and overcome it" What day don't you deal with challenges? The real risk is to the credible and desperate who look for guidance in the wrong places and can end up spending far too much on premium rate lines to get their "personal reading" which is often pre-recorded.

Jeremiah 10:2 has a line on the topic, and how Christians should view signs in the heavens.
            Comment>

No, I sure don't. Of all the mystical woo-woo nonsense, horoscopes rank pretty high on the nonsense scale. I just don't take any stock in them. God in charge, so there is no need to read what vague prophecies a huckster scribbled out.

Only slightly less silly is the practice in some parts, including here, of "planting by the signs". That is sewing by the astrological signs. It is still nonsense and I prefer to do our growing by common sense, good agricultural practice and, naturally, the will of the Lord.
              Comment>

Hi, Explorerx7 I don't believe in horoscope, I never did! I have a friend that reads the newspaper, the first section he reads is horoscope, it obsesses him! Horoscopes may be fun to read, but it is honestly so generalized that it could relate to anyone. Nothing and no one can tell you what your future holds because it is something that is not set in stone. It's all based on the choices we make and how we react to things.
                Horoscopes are a great hobby for people who have nothing to believe in and for those who like constellations and stars, but not for me.
                Comment>

I believe that horoscopes are made to be generic so when you read it you can find yourself in it. Of course, that goes for the "general sign" horoscope, not that daily ones. I don't believe in the daily ones because it all seems like they just randomly choose stuff to write about signs for that day.
                  Comment>

I don't have much belief in horoscopes even though I listen to it for my mom's happiness. She is a very strong believer and sometimes she tortures me with that. I mean how can they predict our future so accurately and tells us that this is what is going to happen. She said I have to get married by this year as per my astronomical signs and if not I will never be married again she told. This is so hard for me to believe and accept.
                    Comment>

Thought this was funny and might relate:

I was having some Chinese food at the mall with my friend, because that's what you eat at the mall, and I read my "zodiac."

You probably know what I'm talking about. Based on what year you were born, you are assigned an animal. Each picture of an animal consists of three or four general statements that are supposed to describe your personality.

For fun, I read mine (the monkey) and found it hardly describes me. However, the generalizations in "Rabbit" fit me pretty well. My friend and I joked about it.
                      Attached Files
                      Comment>

I have zero "belief" in horoscopes. They are --and should be considered-- an afront to every Christian.
                        Comment>

I used to read horoscopes when I was younger but not in a fanatical way. There were days when I'd read something that can relate to my situation at the time but most of the times, I can't identify with what it is describing. They were mostly nonsense that you'd read because they happen to be in every newspaper. If you happen to read several newspapers in one day, they would have different readings for each zodiac sign which is a clear proof that there really is no systematic basis for the so called fortune reading. I'm reading newspaper less often these days so I haven't read horoscopes for a long time. I'll definitely not use the internet to search for horoscope reading.
                          Comment>

In my urgent dissertation I wrote that it was nonsense. But in real life I do believe it. Some say it's all imagination but I believe in stars and what they say
                            Comment>

I highly recommend that you believe in what the Bible has to say. Everything you need to know is right there.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap