The study of human history and prehistory through the excavation of sites and the analysis of artifacts

Evidence Sodom is Tall el-Hammam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidence Sodom is Tall el-Hammam

Some news sites are presenting the evidence better than others. Yet some, like the Washington Post, seem to avoid listing any evidence at all, offering a hasty conclusion instead: “Of course, while the reality of this city is not in doubt, there is little evidence that it’s actually biblical Sodom.” Sifting through the articles, it can be difficult to understand just what the actual evidence is. So here I do my best to summarize all of the top evidence for Tall el-Hammam being the long-lost biblical city of Sodom.

Read More: Geeky Christian

Archaeologists have been uncovering a “monstrous” Bronze Age city in the region of Tall el-Hammam in Jordan.

Now, the experts say they think they have finally found the infamous biblical city of Sodom, according to Popular Archaeology. In the book of Genesis, Sodom, along with the city of Gomorrah, was destroyed by God with fire to punish the residents for their wickedness.

According to the experts, the city now being excavated would have been the largest in the region, and it dates back between 3500 and 1450 BC. It also is believed to have been suddenly abandoned, which would match the biblical story.

According to the Bible’s account, the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were cities located on the Jordan River plain.

The city uncovered would be by far the largest ancient city found in the region, between five and 10 times larger than others in the area during the same period in history.

Steven Collins, an archaeologist with Southwestern University in New Mexico has led the project. He told Popular Archaelogy that the city was “monstrous” compared to others in the region.

“What we’ve got on our hands is an important city-state, a major city-state that was, for all practical purposes, unknown to scholars before we started our project,” he said.

Collins said:

Tall el-Hammam seemed to match every Sodom criterion demanded by the text. Theorizing, on the basis of the Sodom texts, that Sodom was the largest of the Kikkar (the Jordan ‘Disk’, or ‘well-watered plain’ in the biblical text) cities east of the Jordan, I concluded that if one wanted to find Sodom, then one should look for the largest city on the eastern Kikkar that existed during the Middle Bronze Age, the time of Abraham and Lot. When we explored the area, the choice of Tall el-Hammam as the site of Sodom was virtually a no-brainer since it was at least five to ten times larger than all the other Bronze Age sites in the entire region, even beyond the Kikkar of the Jordan.

Speaking of the region in which the city was found, Collins stated: “Even most of the archaeological maps of the area were blank, or mostly so.”
    Collins also said the city would have been “an uninhabited wasteland for over 700 years but then, after those seven centuries, it started to flourish again – as indicated by the huge iron gate that leads into the city.”

What do you think of the uncovering of the city? Is it the biblical city of Sodom?

My brother has been part of the team that travels to Jordan to excavate Tall el-Hammam. He is convinced it is the Biblical city of Sodom, and after I read the documentation I am leaning that way, too. It is exciting when Archaeology confirms Biblical accounts.
    Comment>
    Working...
    X
    Articles - News - SiteMap