The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy

Abortion and Rape Victims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jamsy, I agree with you about what abortion is, and also with your assessment of all the risks that are involved, physical, emotional and spiritual for the mother. Unfortunately, this world's "prince" still seems to have a pretty good hold on the minds and hearts of those outside of Christ :(

Yours in Christ,
    David
    p.s. - I see this is your first post, so I'd also like to say, WELCOME TO CF :) I'm glad you found us and thanks for joining in!
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Originally posted by joshuap View Post
      This topic has come up a few times back in High School as when debate came up during pro choice issues. Abortion is wrong in the eyes of the lord. That is my understanding of it. But what about those women that had been raped and was left with a unwanted pregnancy? Should they keep the baby under those circumstance? Will god forgive them if they do have an abortion after a evil crime such as rape?

I know a few girls that had been molested and raped by their fathers or close relatives. They had gotten abortions but now have conflicting feelings about it. They were subjected to a evil crime, but now feel that they have sinned due to an abortion.

Your thoughts on the matter?
      God will forgive a woman if she has had an abortion.

I've never had an abortion myself but I know a few women who have. Some have regretted it and sought counseling and some have gone on with their lives not thinking twice about the procedure. If the women you know are still having problems with the abortion(s) and regret it, counseling would be a great help for them.
      Last edited by jess11; 03-20-2017, 09:42 PM.
      Comment>

Originally posted by jess11 View Post
        If the women you know are still having problems with the abortion(s) and regret it, counseling would be a great help for them.
        Being forgiven by God would do them more good than counseling. In order to receive forgiveness they first need to acknowledge that their abortions were sins.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          Being forgiven by God would do them more good than counseling. In order to receive forgiveness they first need to acknowledge that their abortions were sins.
          They would have to acknowledge that they have murdered their own child.

To be clear, I am not standing on a higher moral ground. I'm saying that they must fully and honestly confess their sin.

Comment>

Originally posted by joshuap View Post
            This topic has come up a few times back in High School as when debate came up during pro choice issues. Abortion is wrong in the eyes of the lord. That is my understanding of it. But what about those women that had been raped and was left with a unwanted pregnancy? Should they keep the baby under those circumstance? Will god forgive them if they do have an abortion after a evil crime such as rape?

I know a few girls that had been molested and raped by their fathers or close relatives. They had gotten abortions but now have conflicting feelings about it. They were subjected to a evil crime, but now feel that they have sinned due to an abortion.

Your thoughts on the matter?
            Thread is a bit dated, but new here. :)

You hit upon a most difficult situation for a woman (or young woman or even teen girl). Rape/incest is a violation which has physical, mental and emotional trauma on the victim. The woman is the victim. The offender is the sexual assaulter, the rapist.

Your OP describes a pregnancy resulting from rape. There are two considerations (1) moral and (2) political. I'll start with the political. The abortion rights advocates will politically focus on rape and incest (also health/life of the pregnant woman) when debating or discussing the abortion issue. The Pro-Life advocates will quickly point out there were never laws preventing a woman from necessary medical care to save her life; also point out that abortions procured for rape/incest amount to less than 1% of all legal abortions performed. The pro abortion rights advocates are appealing to emotion and to extreme cases and no law should be based on such. Bad laws are based on extenuating circumstances. Yet as recent as the 2016 election and earlier, abortion on demand at any stage is now the 'mainstream' abortions rights dialogue, even up to the 3rd trimester. They are no longer hiding what we know, abortion is an industry and they need every trimester open to keep up the business.

Now that was the political landscape. Your OP focused on the moral aspects of a pregnancy resulting from rape/incest. Some have addressed the finer points already in most of the posts, but let's look at this as Christians.

It is no secret to a Christian that any abortion is the taking of a human being. That should not surprise any student of biology from High School to University. The settled science of embryology has human life beginning at conception. That human life has human DNA and is a distinct human being (of homo sapiens species) from the mother and father. There is no denying that abortion takes that life. Going further, a woman procuring abortion (no matter the horrible circumstances-other than life saving medical procedures) makes a premeditated decision to terminate the developing human being inside her.

Now we apply the moral aspects when rape/incest are entered into the situation. The woman is the victim. The rapist is the offender. The gestating human being is innocent life. The rape victim (woman) is no doubt in emotional and mental trauma due to the rape. She may even have physical injuries. This was done by the offending rapist. She decides to abort the distinct innocent life inside her to potentially alleviate emotional and mental trauma. Is this a moral decision in keeping with God's justice?

While the woman deals with emotional and mental trauma, the child who had no say in the decision to die, is aborted, yet the rapist (if even caught and convicted) is sitting in a jail cell getting "three hots and cot" and possibly cable TV. The rapist, in most states, could be out in 7 years and possibly as soon as 3 1/2 years 'for good behavior.' Does that seem like justice to you? The child is dead being removed from the woman in the most barbaric of procedures, and yet the evil perpetrated by the rapist gets 3-7 years in jail (if caught and convicted!). Rapist gets out and the recidivist rate is higher than for other crimes:

Rate of recidivism in rapists

Recidivism was defined as receiving a new legal sanction of any type. With an average of 12 years of follow-up, the recidivism rate for any offense was 13 percent. Rapists had a reoffense rate of 22 percent for any offense and 10 percent for rape.
            www.wsipp.wa.gov

Adult Sex Offender Recidivism: A Review of Studies - Full Report

Who is the victim in this scenario? Yes of course the woman raped. Yet also the innocent human being aborted thus ending his/her life.
            Comment>

Rape and abortion are cruel activities and the I feel really painful when thinking about those girls the pain they had undergone both physically and mentally. No one has the right to harm any human being. Even we don't have the rights to harm an animal or a plant. But, it is because of the circumstances the victim chooses to abort her child that was a cause of a cruel activity like rape. I feel really sad for those girls.
              Comment>

I personally don't believe it as a sin but that is my opinion. At the same time I respect your opinion on this matter and I understand why you would consider this as sin as it can be classed as killing your own child. I believe that in the case of rape victims, abortion is important as no victim should be made to carry a reminder of such an evil act. And I don't believe that it is a sin as it was not their choice to be made pregnant by someone that they did not give consent to. I don't believe that the child being aborted is being harmed because they have not developed enough at the time of abortion to have thoughts or feelings.
                Comment>

Originally posted by kingcool52 View Post
                  I believe that in the case of rape victims, abortion is important as no victim should be made to carry a reminder of such an evil act.
                  Have you considered the possibility that God sometimes allows the victim to become pregnant in order to bring good out of an evil act? If a woman has an abortion is such a case she is adding the guilt of destroying an innocent life to the trauma of being raped. This adds to the harm done by the rape rather than diminishing it. We must remember that all life belongs to God and if we have no right to destroy it without his permission.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

This is a sticky subject. Some people that abortion under any condition is an abomination but others seem to be open to accepting it under certain conditions. What if a female had been raped, especially by her own father, then there would be a possibility that the child could be afflicted with a genetic disorder and the act of the father fathering a child of his own daughter would also be a sin just in the sight of God. Therefore, wouldn't it be wise to abort this child considering the very unwholesome conditions that produced the child in the first place and the possible complications that he or she may have to endure?
                    Comment>

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
                      This is a sticky subject. Some people that abortion under any condition is an abomination but others seem to be open to accepting it under certain conditions. What if a female had been raped, especially by her own father, then there would be a possibility that the child could be afflicted with a genetic disorder and the act of the father fathering a child of his own daughter would also be a sin just in the sight of God. Therefore, wouldn't it be wise to abort this child considering the very unwholesome conditions that produced the child in the first place and the possible complications that he or she may have to endure?
                      Murder is also a sin in the sight of God, and in this particular case, the victim of a horrible sin, rape, becomes the perpetrator of a worse one, murder, if she decides to abort her child.

As for genetic disorders, they are hardly guaranteed. Plus, I'm bett'n that any unborn child, if he/she had a say, would ALWAYS choose to "roll the dice" to at least get a shot at life anyway, even if they knew that they might be faced with some sort of health disorder as a result.

I know I would. Wouldn't you?

The facts are these, an overall average of 99.6% of all abortions are performed for the sake of the mother's "convenience", not because she was raped, and/or not because there is a threat to either her health or her life. That fact is kept as hidden as possible by those who want abortions to continue, so the 0.4% of abortions become the only ones you ever hear about, and the only ones we ever seem to discuss.

Yours in Christ,
                      David

A baby is cradled / carried in the womb of it's mother, to grow and be nurtured until birth. Each baby is a wholly separate person from it's mother: With different DNA, different fingerprints, with possibly a different blood type or the opposite sex. The baby is a person living within a person and not "the mother's body". The mom is appointed to care for the separate life she carries within her and once it's born, find a home for her baby, if she can't provide one. -- Melody Green
                      Last edited by David Lee; 05-03-2017, 02:51 AM.
                      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                      Comment>

If a woman is incapable of loving her child because she got raped because of it, she can give the child up for adoption as there are childless couples out there who wanted to have children.
                        Comment>

You should know that when a woman is raped the first action she should take is to report the matter to the police after which she will be taken to the hospital. If this took place in the republic of kenya the wold administer emergency pills so that the woman does not conceive then next line of treatment should be to administer ARV so that the rape victim does not contract AIDS. I believe if you just follow correct procedures after rape it is a practical impossibility to get pregnant and so there will be no option of abortion.
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap