Abortion and Rape Victims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion and Rape Victims

This topic has come up a few times back in High School as when debate came up during pro choice issues. Abortion is wrong in the eyes of the lord. That is my understanding of it. But what about those women that had been raped and was left with a unwanted pregnancy? Should they keep the baby under those circumstance? Will god forgive them if they do have an abortion after a evil crime such as rape?

I know a few girls that had been molested and raped by their fathers or close relatives. They had gotten abortions but now have conflicting feelings about it. They were subjected to a evil crime, but now feel that they have sinned due to an abortion.

Your thoughts on the matter?

Originally posted by joshuap View Post
    This topic has come up a few times back in High School as when debate came up during pro choice issues. Abortion is wrong in the eyes of the lord. That is my understanding of it. But what about those women that had been raped and was left with a unwanted pregnancy? Should they keep the baby under those circumstance? Will god forgive them if they do have an abortion after a evil crime such as rape?

I know a few girls that had been molested and raped by their fathers or close relatives. They had gotten abortions but now have conflicting feelings about it. They were subjected to a evil crime, but now feel that they have sinned due to an abortion.

Your thoughts on the matter?
    G'day Joshuap,

Lemme ask you a simple question, please answer directly. Which is worse, rape or murder?

As to your second statement, what sin has the child committed as a result of rape? Do you consider the child innocent in all this?

Please consider Proverbs 6:16-19
    • 16 There are six things that the Lord hates,
    • seven that are an abomination to him:
    • 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
    • and hands that shed innocent blood,
    • 18 a heart that devises wicked plans,
    • feet that make haste to run to evil,
    • 19 a false witness who breathes out lies,
    • and one who sows discord among brothers.

They have sinned in your example by having an abortion. The question then is whether the sin is forgivable, and whether someone should promote sin if they have been forgiven. If someone repents of their sin and promotes abortion as being "the right way" to go, have they truly repented of their sin? How can they if they see no wrong in it?

Back at you, care to share any further thoughts?

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Well, in relation to how the girl feels..........she was the one that was raped and had to get the abortion. I will have my opinion as to what is right and wrong. In the literal sense, on paper it decrees on thing, but you apply it in actual terms and the women that are being raped and aborting the baby. the guilt, the shame, and everything else that is built up.........how would you explain that to her.

I mean get where you are coming from. But how would you tell that to someone, show has deeply scared emotions on the subject?
      Comment>

Well, in relation to how the girl feels..........she was the one that was raped and had to get the abortion. I will have my opinion as to what is right and wrong. In the literal sense, on paper it decrees on thing, but you apply it in actual terms and the women that are being raped and aborting the baby. the guilt, the shame, and everything else that is built up.........how would you explain that to her.

I mean get where you are coming from. But how would you tell that to someone, show has deeply scared emotions on the subject?
        Just to clarify, are you suggesting that emotion or feelings should be the guide of our conscience?

How would I convey what I said above? I would convey what I said above through the Scripture. If you're asking how one can feel better about themselves for taking the life of an innocent party, then that in itself is a different question. Do you not think that there should be emotional scarring and deep guilt from taking an innocent life? Two crimes have been committed here Joshuap, but it seems that you are asking whether one crime justifies the second or repaying evil with evil is right?

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

I do know girls that are going through this. I just want to know how to tell them. I can read scriptures to them, but maybe it's just not my place at the moment. I would be doing more harm then good as I am not trained enough to handle such matters.

That's why we have elders to handle such things.
          Comment>

I do know girls that are going through this. I just want to know how to tell them. I can read scriptures to them, but maybe it's just not my place at the moment. I would be doing more harm then good as I am not trained enough to handle such matters.

That's why we have elders to handle such things.
            Forgiveness of our sins can only be found through Christ Jesus, Joshuap. The Law convicts us of our wrong doing. If one does not believe what they did was wrong, I personally cannot see how they will confess or repent of their sins. Abortion is forgivable, but not all are forgiven for abortions. For example, what about the person that conspired to take the life of the innocent and sees no wrong in it, I speak of the doctor?

I can empathize with you, on one hand you wish to relieve the guilty party of their guilt and resulting hurt, on the second you may be confused about whether you should relieve the party of their guilt. This is for God alone, and I think your part in all this may very well be sharing the gospel or even giving to them a Bible and answering any questions to the best of your ability should they arise - 1 Peter 3:15

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Forgiveness of our sins can only be found through Christ Jesus, Joshuap. The Law convicts us of our wrong doing. If one does not believe what they did was wrong, I personally cannot see how they will confess or repent of their sins. Abortion is forgivable, but not all are forgiven for abortions. For example, what about the person that conspired to take the life of the innocent and sees no wrong in it, I speak of the doctor?

I can empathize with you, on one hand you wish to relieve the guilty party of their guilt and resulting hurt, on the second you may be confused about whether you should relieve the party of their guilt. This is for God alone, and I think your part in all this may very well be sharing the gospel or even giving to them a Bible and answering any questions to the best of your ability should they arise - 1 Peter 3:15

God bless,
              William
              Also, to add to that..........if I don't know the answer or I'm too emotional to give any, I can easily refer to someone with a better handling of the scriptures. There are somethings that only years of experiences can prepare you for. This may be one of them for me.
              Comment>

This will take about 30 minutes of your time. I include this because there is one person in the video towards the end that reveals she has committed an abortion. Lets put aside your friends for a moment, and concentrate on equipping you.

Are you a Christian woman who has had an abortion? | carm

I will pray for both you, your friends and the innocent babies that were prematurely ended Joshuap. May God guide both your heart and mind in these troubled times to be of service to Him.

God bless, Joshuap.
                William
                Comment>

Also, to add to that..........if I don't know the answer or I'm too emotional to give any, I can easily refer to someone with a better handling of the scriptures. There are somethings that only years of experiences can prepare you for. This may be one of them for me.
                  Greetings,

Congratulations on your decision to wade into the deep waters of caring and doing something about something.
                  Most people prefer to wade in the ankle deep waters of 'what if' where all of the discussion is safe and costs nothing.
                  Once you start dealing with real people, the answers matter. Even more, the TRUTH matters. God will not be changing his standard because someone was well intentioned, but wrong. God's answer is what it is. The best thing we can do for anyone is to at least tell them the truth ... which means that we need to do the actual work of finding out what the TRUTH really is.

Easing someon's conscience on the way to sin is as bad as piling on guilt that they have no business carrying.
                  They need to feel guilty for what God says they are guilty of, and they need to feel forgiven of what God says they are forgiven of.
                  That is the goal to be strived for.

Just a small point to add, your quote above suggests the erroneous attitude that someone else is more qualified than you.
                  There are unquestionably people who know more than you, and that is true no matter how much you know.
                  However, no person on the face of the earth is more qualified or better equipped to do "the works which God has prepared in advance" for YOU to do.
                  After all, if you are saved/born again/chosen/the elect (pick your favorite Christianese term), then you ONLY have the third person of the Triune God dwelling within you and empowering you to DO the work that HE has prepared for you. If God has given you a heart that cares about their pain, then it is probably YOUR job to say or do something to help them.

They need TRUTH and they need LOVE and they need FORGIVENESS ... just like the rest of us who have sinned.
                  Nobody gets a free ride (there are no good excuses to sin) and nobody is beyond forgiveness (on this side of the grave).

Good Luck.
                  Be a friend.
                  Comment>

WOW, I cannot believe this. I'am always posting up, debating, and talking about abortion. I had a Facebook friend of mine who asked me what about abortion in regards to rape. I believe that if life begins at the moment of conception then rape or not abortion is still wrong. Abortion and the abortion debate is much more complex and convoluted than just simply a woman's choice. Abortion is, has been, and will always be about eugenics and population control. As for as rape is concerned I do believe that abortion should be an option. Rape, incest, or for the life of the mother abortion should be an option. According to many studies the number of abortion that takes place from the result of rape is somewhat slim. The narrative is that abortion is justified because of rape, well that conversation is more complex than just a paragraph or too. I think it should be determined on a case by case basis.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                      Greetings,

Congratulations on your decision to wade into the deep waters of caring and doing something about something.
                      Most people prefer to wade in the ankle deep waters of 'what if' where all of the discussion is safe and costs nothing.
                      Once you start dealing with real people, the answers matter. Even more, the TRUTH matters. God will not be changing his standard because someone was well intentioned, but wrong. God's answer is what it is. The best thing we can do for anyone is to at least tell them the truth ... which means that we need to do the actual work of finding out what the TRUTH really is.

Easing someon's conscience on the way to sin is as bad as piling on guilt that they have no business carrying.
                      They need to feel guilty for what God says they are guilty of, and they need to feel forgiven of what God says they are forgiven of.
                      That is the goal to be strived for.

Just a small point to add, your quote above suggests the erroneous attitude that someone else is more qualified than you.
                      There are unquestionably people who know more than you, and that is true no matter how much you know.
                      However, no person on the face of the earth is more qualified or better equipped to do "the works which God has prepared in advance" for YOU to do.
                      After all, if you are saved/born again/chosen/the elect (pick your favorite Christianese term), then you ONLY have the third person of the Triune God dwelling within you and empowering you to DO the work that HE has prepared for you. If God has given you a heart that cares about their pain, then it is probably YOUR job to say or do something to help them.

They need TRUTH and they need LOVE and they need FORGIVENESS ... just like the rest of us who have sinned.
                      Nobody gets a free ride (there are no good excuses to sin) and nobody is beyond forgiveness (on this side of the grave).

Good Luck.
                      Be a friend.
                      The bottom line is this. I'm a person of very little words. I mean well, but I get tongue tied when emotions is involved. That is the reason why I turn to church elders for guidance. As I am not well versed and able to explain right from wrong as well as they can. I turn to them because that is what they are there for. Everyone needs help and sometimes I need to turn to someone for help as well.

Comment>

The bottom line is this. I'm a person of very little words. I mean well, but I get tongue tied when emotions is involved. That is the reason why I turn to church elders for guidance. As I am not well versed and able to explain right from wrong as well as they can. I turn to them because that is what they are there for. Everyone needs help and sometimes I need to turn to someone for help as well.
                        The reality is that there are people in the world who might listen to you that will not listen to someone else.
                        So which is better, a poorly worded message that is heard, or a well delivered message that is not heard?

(and yes, I agree that it is scary)

So by all means, turn to Church Elders to help guide YOU, but don't expect other people to do everything for you.
                        God has created work for every Christian.
                        No one else can do your job, they can only help you to do your job.
                        [shrug]

Grace and Peace to you,
                        Arthur
                        Comment>

If a rape victim has an abortion she might be destroying the only good that can come out of what happened to her. Are you familiar with the story of Joseph in the Old Testament? He was sold into slavery by his brothers and then thrown into prison for a crime he didn't commit. Yet in spite of all his suffering he recognized that God was in control and using his suffering to bring about God. A woman who becomes pregnant as a result of rape needs to exercise the same kind of faith Joseph had.
                          Clyde Herrin's Blog
                          Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                            If a rape victim has an abortion she might be destroying the only good that can come out of what happened to her. Are you familiar with the story of Joseph in the Old Testament? He was sold into slavery by his brothers and then thrown into prison for a crime he didn't commit. Yet in spite of all his suffering he recognized that God was in control and using his suffering to bring about God. A woman who becomes pregnant as a result of rape needs to exercise the same kind of faith Joseph had.
                            Do you still feel the same if a father rapes his only daughter, and she should still have the baby?

I think it's easier said then done.
                            Comment>

Abortion. This is a topic that is just as important as murder. As far as religiously, is it ok to end a life for any reason? No. It's not. No matter what someone believes, no one has the right to take a life. No one does, because no life is better than another. But, the Bible nor any other religious book speaks about when life starts. Not for humans nor animals. So when it comes down to it, when does life start. At birth, a certain trimester, conception, or when the two halves that are necessary for life are created by the body. Some may think that is a science question, but it's not. It's a question of belief. So in the end, is Abortion a sin? My opinion is it's whatever a woman believes when she comes to that choice.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap