Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Canada - "Don't teach Bible verses that offend the LGBT"

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada - "Don't teach Bible verses that offend the LGBT"

I find this bizarre, both as a Christian and as someone who supports education. On an educational level, treating the Bible purely as a text, isn't this like censoring Shakespeare for murders or taking slavery out of Huckleberry Finn? You can't study it without studying the whole thing or your education will have gaps and people taught this way are in for a shock in later life when they read the full text. Pupils deserve to get the whole picture, whether they agree with it or not is up to them.

On Christian level, what next? Take out the verses offensive to women? Or on the other approach skip the tales of Deborah and female leaders in case it offends MRAs? Remove tales of the apostles fishing, or the loaves and fishes, because it might offend vegans? What do they think should be left to teach in R.E?

A school board deliberately demanding an incomplete education just offends me.
    A public Christian school in Canada was warned by a public funding body not to teach Bible passages that could be deemed "offensive" by some people, particularly the members of the LGBT community.

I believe this paragraph from the article you linked to shows the real source of the problem:

That was the reaction of the head of a public Christian school in Canada upon receiving a letter from the government body providing its funds, warning that the school should not teach Bible passages that could be deemed "offensive" by some people, particularly the members of the LGBT community.
    When a school or any other Christian organization accepts money from the government or any other nonChristian source it places itself under an obligation to please the source of its funding. In the US the constitution prohibits the government from funding Christian schools and by doing this it gives them freedom to teach whatever they want. If the school wants to be completely free to teach the Bible perhaps it should look to Christians to meet all of its financial needs.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox
      I find this bizarre, both as a Christian and as someone who supports education. On an educational level, treating the Bible purely as a text, isn't this like censoring Shakespeare for murders or taking slavery out of Huckleberry Finn? You can't study it without studying the whole thing or your education will have gaps and people taught this way are in for a shock in later life when they read the full text. Pupils deserve to get the whole picture, whether they agree with it or not is up to them.

On Christian level, what next? Take out the verses offensive to women? Or on the other approach skip the tales of Deborah and female leaders in case it offends MRAs? Remove tales of the apostles fishing, or the loaves and fishes, because it might offend vegans? What do they think should be left to teach in R.E?

Seems crazy to me as well- maybe even counter-intuitive. This reminds of something similar I've been noticing...

In America, many Christians walk away from their faith when they go into College. Why this happens, seems to be observable through a pattern: Most young adults don't know their Bible as well as they should. When they're literature professors speak badly about the Bible, the students are left speechless. Oftentimes they don't know in the OT that there was slavery, strict laws or even that God commanded The Jews to kill groups of people.

In many churches, when members teach Children about the Bible, they leave so much of it's content untaught (like "anti LGBT propaganda"), that young adults just assume The Bible isn't trustworthy when someone else shows them passages they're unfamiliar with.

Frustrating...

Prayers needed.
      Comment>

Higher education -- in this country -- doesn't accept Bible. Even in high schools -- evolution is taught as fact and Bible is laughed at. Students who read the Bible are scoffed at -- ridiculed. By the time they get to college --they've already been so brainwashed Against God /Bible that it isn't hard to get them completely away From Bible. Since the secular world / higher education doesn't believe in God. He has no authority. Therefore -- no absolute truth. And in order to get a degree in most Any area -- a wise student won't mention their belief in God. There are professors who have no problem spotting Christian students and purposely flunk them.

A good education is going to cost a person. In lots of ways. And there Are still believers in the professional fields -- high-end fields that retained their faith.

A person can be very knowledgable about Bible -- but the 'experts' in fossils, etc. Can pose very good,strong defense In their defense.
        Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post

Nothing new here, sister. Check this out: City of Houston demands pastors turn over sermons | Fox News

Of course this was before the recent movement or push back to restore religious freedoms.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Honestly -- as I heard about it earlier -- there was mixed reactions amongst some pastors. Some of them thought -- Good -- I'll be glad to hand over those sermons -- just be sure to Read them. Others saw it as their freedom to preach was in danger. But , like Paul and Barnabas -- they were beaten and Jailed for their preaching -- that didn't stop their preaching -- it just gave them a different, captive audience.
            Comment>

I have heard this and recently it is being done in some of the schools inn my place too. Even though children believe it or not, it is their one's own choices. Why stop teaching it in the school itself as school is the best place to get knowledge about everything. I feel sad for people not knowing the importance.
              Comment>

Originally posted by harijobs View Post
                Even though children believe it or not, it is their one's own choices.
                Is it? Or do the parents have a say?

Orthodox Jewish girls school faces closure for refusing to teach children about homosexuality – TheBlaze

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

That's pretty bad -- that the school faces closer because their students - 212 of them aren't getting a complete education because of that. And those are grade-school aged kids. Gender reassignment surgery and stuff like that. Nothing that students need to be aware of in order to get a complete education.
                  Comment>

William The parents are constantly requesting the management not to do this and the sad part is that they do these sort of things in the Christian schools. I studied in a Hindu school and even though the majority of the people there are Hindus, they gave importance to all the religions and especially for Christianity were we will have prayers, reading verses from the Holy Bible etc. But nowadays things have changed and people are not giving importance to the important things.
                    Comment>

That's terrible. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not entitled to other people's choices. I am a Christian and I will follow what is written on the bible, no human words will stop me from doing so. I will not condemn the LGBT community, but I will not turn away from my faith just because it offends other people. I wouldn't tell them the bible verses that are against homosexuality out of the blue, but if the time comes and I need to read it out loud, I will.
                      Comment>

Entertainment media is a very powerful weapon. Look how all these gay agenda shows in movies influenced people of just one generation. They now influenced the government and even the education curriculum. I won't be shocked if one day, US or Canada bans religion all together. So much for being the more open minded and tolerant side. The liberals are actually discriminatory too and they bully anyone with different belief. Now they are closing schools for this.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                          Entertainment media is a very powerful weapon. Look how all these gay agenda shows in movies influenced people of just one generation. They now influenced the government and even the education curriculum. I won't be shocked if one day, US or Canada bans religion all together. So much for being the more open minded and tolerant side. The liberals are actually discriminatory too and they bully anyone with different belief. Now they are closing schools for this.
                          Yep, it's often the ones who demand that you tolerate their views who are the least likely to tolerate the views of everyone else. They don't want "equality," no matter how much they protest for it. They really want a double standard, where their views are respected and no one else can dare to disagree or even share an opinion. They aren't "open minded" at all. You're right; they are bullies. If you try to debate then, they quickly begin calling names and spewing hate-filled rants, because they know they have no argument. You can't have it both ways. Even when you're not having a discussion, some are quick to be hateful toward any person of faith and they have no problem being as nasty about it as possible.

If I took half of what they say and turned it around, using their exact wording, there would be heck to pay.
                          Comment>

It seems everyday something new needs to be altered in order to not offend. I agree with you, what's the point of teaching parts and not the full text? People are now using the bible for their own benefit. Only using certain parts of it to prove a point, but not the full text that would prove them wrong. It saddens me, I respect everyone. But in this case they claim equality and respect without respecting others. I can't imagine what will come next.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by Ali_s View Post
                              I can't imagine what will come next.
                              Eventually it will lead to God's judgment unless we repent. People are concerned about whether other people are offended but they don't seem to care whether or not we offend God.
                              Clyde Herrin's Blog
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap