Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Should church pay tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should church pay tax

Churches are social institutions that not only provide mental solace to the people but also material support to the needy people. For example, Churches distribute free food, free clothes, sometimes even free education and free medical care. However there is a discrepancies in Church's activities. Nor all church provide social service. They seem to receive a big donation, but spend a little in social service? Should we bring church in tax frame?

Originally posted by luri View Post
    Should we bring church in tax frame?
    No. Churches should not pay taxes, and if all churches used their donations as they should they would never pay taxes. Taxes are paid on earned income or profits, and neither of these apply to churches. By the same token, individual Christians are commanded to pay their taxes, which does not mean that Christians should not minimize their taxes and put their income to better use. Almost all (if not all) governments grossly mismanage their funds and engage in wasteful expenditures, or worse.
    Comment>

I don't think churches should pay taxes as even though they receive a lot of donations they offer much to people and provide services for the betterment of the lives of the people. I will check if religious institutions are paying taxes or not. Thanks for the thread.
      Comment>

Tax is paid on earned income and profits. In my opinion if someone donates to the church, it becomes earning for the church; when someone donates, it is also profits because donation increases income. Since the church is already making money, I think it should pay tax.
        Comment>

Originally posted by luri View Post
          Tax is paid on earned income and profits. In my opinion if someone donates to the church, it becomes earning for the church; when someone donates, it is also profits because donation increases income. Since the church is already making money, I think it should pay tax.
          By your logic no one should be exempt from taxes. Not even the homeless. If they receive a donation it becomes earned income and profits.

Religious institutions are exempt from taxation because our government has not been given the power to govern religion. This is an expression of the basic principles behind the founding of this country—that is, there is an Authority above the government that has established rights apart from the government, including free speech and freedom of religion. Since these rights were not created by the government—and, in fact, existed before any government existed—our government is restrained from infringing on these natural rights. There are things that are simply not rightly under any government’s control. To reverse this long-standing practice of tax exemption is to wrongly place the government in authority over religion. —Amy K. Hall, “Why Religious Institutions Aren’t Taxed
          God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Churches should not pay taxes but thanks to the secular liberals they have to pay taxes. This leave churches have no other choice but to follow the law. These secular wanted separation of church and state but forcing churches to pay taxes doesn't sound like a separation to me. The earnings of the church goes for maintenance and charities. I know in many European countries churches are forced to pay taxes. Especially in those countries with high atheist populations.
            Comment>

The questions of whether churches should pay taxes depends on what kind of taxes you are talking about. Churches are exempt from property taxes but they receive the benefits of services supported by those taxes. It seems that we should be willing to pay for the services we receive just as other people do.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

I don't think churches should have taxes, because mainly most of the churches only ask for donations. It's always up to the people whether they want to give or not. If we wouldn't charge a homeless man for begging on the streets, if we wouldn't charge people who donated to feed starving people in 3rd world countries, then I don't think we should tax churches. Unless that a certain church forces you to give money then aside from that being very wrong, they should also be taxed. But so far I haven't heard of any church doing such thing.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap