Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Stephen Fry interview up for a religious award (and blasphemy charges)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Fry interview up for a religious award (and blasphemy charges)

Stephen Fry, well-known athiest, did an interview with Gabriel Byrne for Irish television in 2015 in which he said the following: 'How dare you create a world in which there is such misery? It's not our fault? It's not right. It's utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?'

The interview has received mixed reactions to say the least:
    It is up for an award from the Sandford St Martin Trust for religious broadcasting for stimulating debate on Christianity (details here)...
    And Irish police are investigating whether it counts as blasphemy against Christianity and should get a fine of up to 25,000 euros (details here).

It's a great example of how the way religion is treated in the 21st century can vary so widely, even with the same source. I've linked the interview below, and as you can probably gather the content may offend Christians.
    Check out these clips from Stephen Fry's appearance on The Meaning of Life with Gay Byrne.

We know what happened to Egypt's pharoah when he cursed God. But God was very patient that took him 10 plagues to get it done with the pharoah.

So, Fry's playing victim-blame-God for his pretend concern for other human sufferings is a result of his mental disorder.

About Irish police investigation and fining Fry $25k euros is another politicized religious pretense.
    Last edited by PsalmOneCares; 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM.
    Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
      And Irish police are investigating whether it counts as blasphemy against Christianity and should get a fine of up to 25,000 euros
      It is clear that Fry is guilty of blasphemy but I don't thing secular governments should make or enforce laws against blasphemy. What one religion considers blasphemy might be considered by another religion as a simple statement of fact. A government that passes laws might find itself in a situation where it has to prefer one religion over another and no government can be trusted to make an accurate decision on this subject. A government that punishes blasphemy against Christianity may also be forced to punish Christians for statements that other religions consider blasphemous.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

He may be an Atheist or a common man but why curse a religion or a god or a belief and hurt the people? It is one's own choice but why to talk unnecessarily and create a bad name and end up meeting unwanted consequences. I hope this will be a lesson for all those who criticize any religion.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap