Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Christian nurse fired for discussing faith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian nurse fired for discussing faith

Sarah Kuteh was dismissed after eight complaints. However only one complaint was from a patient who she discussed her faith and gave the patient a Bible. The rest were handwritten notes from colleagues stating patients were 'upset' and the patients in question were not allowed to be called or questioned by the tribunal. Mrs Kuteh has been a nurse for 15 years, so to lose her job for discussing religion like this seems ridiculous, especially as her role involves completing the pre-op forms which require discussing - yes - the patients' religion.

She was fired under the EU's article 9, so depending on how Brexit proceeds, the law that cost her her job may not even apply in its current form soon.

Your faith is who you are.For crying out loud if you can not introduce yourself,then why should you even work for them?I thought there is freedom of speech and expression.it means there is an element of darkness somewhere.You should thank God and ask his direction from there.he will make a way.
    Comment>

Unfortunately, this kind of thing seems to happen in the U.S. as well.

Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.

-John 15:20
      Comment>

I think there is more the story that needs to be known before assumptions can be made. If she was fired strictly because of her faith, or speaking about her faith (unless there are rules about that) than that is not justified. However, if she was upsetting patients, and trying to convert them I think there is something very not cool in doing that. The argument is really dependent on how she spoke about her faith, not that she spoke about her faith at all. However, I think the issue was handled poorly, and there could've been a warning. I get that her faith is a complete part of her life, but NOT everyone around her's life so there should be some level of respect about that. I don't think you constantly need to talk about your faith, in order to be a Christian, nor am I saying that is what she did. But I had a lot of coffee this morning haha.
        Comment>

It's an unfair dismissal if she was in fact doing her job correctly and only discussing the patient's religion. However, I do feel like there is more to this story like said above. If she was bothering patients and trying to convert them to her religion then it is a fair dismissal. Yes free speech is a thing but I'm sure a patient that maybe is about to have surgery does not want to be pressured into religious discussions before such an important event in their life. How would a christian feel if a Muslim or Jewish nurse came to them and tried to convert them before an important operation?
          Comment>

The Employment Tribunal has already ruled in favor of the hospital and Sarah Kuteh's complaint of unfair dismissal had been dismissed, She had apparently received warnings in the past for the same 'offense' but the complaints had persisted which led to her dismissal. There were patients who complained and felt awkward by her profession of faith at a time when they were vulnerable. She may have breached professional boundaries repeatedly and had to pay the price. I don't want to judge her, but based on the interviews she herself had given where she said that she have wanted the trust to have given her a chance to show a change, she may have realized that she had overstepped her bounds. Her job required her to obtain pre-op information from patients, including religion, but she apparently ended up professing her faith and trying to convince patients to be converted to Christianity. Her defendants claimed that she was doing it out of compassion. Apparently, the patients did not think so. We have a right to choose our religion and so do other people.

Comment>

I don't find anything wrong with her in discussing faith as that was her job. We are all given the freedom of expressing our thoughts and she had done only her job. So, it is good for her not to work for them anymore where she was not respected. :)
              Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
                Sarah Kuteh was dismissed after eight complaints. However only one complaint was from a patient who she discussed her faith and gave the patient a Bible. The rest were handwritten notes from colleagues stating patients were 'upset' and the patients in question were not allowed to be called or questioned by the tribunal. Mrs Kuteh has been a nurse for 15 years, so to lose her job for discussing religion like this seems ridiculous, especially as her role involves completing the pre-op forms which require discussing - yes - the patients' religion.

She was fired under the EU's article 9, so depending on how Brexit proceeds, the law that cost her her job may not even apply in its current form soon.
                Had she been a Muslim, she would still have her job.
                Comment>

It's bewildering to hear that a nurse was fired simply because she shared her faith with a patient. These are steps by people of the world to silence the gospel, the good news is that the more they try the more they will fail. Not even a query or a suspension they fired her simply for exercising her freedom of speech. This is just outrageous and by all standard the organisation failed woefully. In my town hospitals do allow patients at wards to receive preachers, be ministered to and prayed for while in the hospital.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap