Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Government pressures CofE to change doctrine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government pressures CofE to change doctrine.

I am sorry, but for MPs who are not practicing Christians to start pressuring the Church to change dogma and theology to fit their views that just seems very wrong to me. We've seen this happen in Communist countries and dictatorships but to have this happen in a Western democracy is appalling.

(It is worse because if you are familiar with the UK government, the Church, the Judiciary, and the Democratic arms are three different things, and not supposed to interefere with each other. They come together in the House of Lords. The MPs trying to make the statement are in the Commons, so its rather the same as them trying to pressure a judge to give a verdict against the law because it would be convenient for them.)
    MPs are branding the established Church's status on sexuality 'untenable', 'unfair' and 'hard to justify' as they piled on pressure for a change.

When a church accepts the position of being the established church of a country it also subjects itself to being influenced by those who aren't members of the church. It seems to me that the only solution for this problem is for the Church of England to renounce it position and become totally independent of government support and influence.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      When a church accepts the position of being the established church of a country it also subjects itself to being influenced by those who aren't members of the church. It seems to me that the only solution for this problem is for the Church of England to renounce it position and become totally independent of government support and influence.
      In Europe this works the other way. In countries where the church is not part of the government, the government has passed edicts concerning worship, gay marriage, etc and what the church is allowed to do (See the Protestant Church in the Netherlands). In this case, the House of Commons can pressure the church, but their edicts have to pass through the upper house (House of Lords) where the Church can block it, so while MPs can pressure, they cannot command.

In most European countries the Church has been a part of politics since before the 900's and often before a unified country existed, so extracting them would be near impossible. Look at the Catholic influence in Western Europe, and the Orthodox church in the east.

And I still think that if MPs are going to pressure the church to fall in line with liberal morality, they need to pressure all faiths or none.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap