Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

More Dead Sea scrolls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Dead Sea scrolls?

This was from February, but I've only just caught up with it. Theyve found a twelfth cave containing the remains of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The scrolls themselves were missing, presumed stolen, but the cave contained all the other remainders like storage pots, parchment for writing etc. This is fascinating because there are actually scrolls out there (if they survived) which may contain more details about the early Bible and Christian faith. Imagine how many questions they could answer, or pose...
    A stunning discovery by archaeologists from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem has uncovered a previously unknown cave in which lost Dead Sea Scrolls were hidden.

Do you have a link to the new Dead Sea Scroll findings?
    Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
      Do you have a link to the new Dead Sea Scroll findings?
      The link with details is at the bottom of my post.

Comment>

I saw that post and it is a very amazing archeological finding. I hope they will have a more detailed excavation and get succeeded in finding that missing scroll. However, they have found a piece of parchment, some jars, and other things. A good article and information you have shared my friend. Keep it up ChatterBox . :)
        Comment>

If there's so many of them in those caves, a good question would be why they were buried there in the first place.
          I was reading on this topic the other day. The scrolls' text is very varied as well, both in language and in content. There's a lot of apocryphal or never-before-seen verses mixed with copies of known texts that survived the ages, in Hebrew, Aramaic, Syrian dialects and Greek. According to the carbon dating they even come from different time periods, some of them from 1st-2nd century AD, others from the 7th AD and so on.
          Question is, why would someone steal something like that and store it in the desert? It's not like it's just a handful of scrolls, they filled several different caves with them...maybe there's a persecution story behind that, hiding in the desert to practice their religion in hiding. Around the time of the latest dated scrolls (7th century) there was a lot of turmoil and religious persecution when the Persian Empire sacked Jerusalem, retaken by byzantine emperor Heraklius, and then lost again to the Rashidun Caliphate.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Julianne View Post
            If there's so many of them in those caves, a good question would be why they were buried there in the first place.
            I was reading on this topic the other day. The scrolls' text is very varied as well, both in language and in content. There's a lot of apocryphal or never-before-seen verses mixed with copies of known texts that survived the ages, in Hebrew, Aramaic, Syrian dialects and Greek. According to the carbon dating they even come from different time periods, some of them from 1st-2nd century AD, others from the 7th AD and so on.
            Question is, why would someone steal something like that and store it in the desert? It's not like it's just a handful of scrolls, they filled several different caves with them...maybe there's a persecution story behind that, hiding in the desert to practice their religion in hiding. Around the time of the latest dated scrolls (7th century) there was a lot of turmoil and religious persecution when the Persian Empire sacked Jerusalem, retaken by byzantine emperor Heraklius, and then lost again to the Rashidun Caliphate.
            Hey Julianne could you please tell me your sources for this information.
            Last edited by Origen; 04-30-2017, 04:35 AM.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
              Hey Julianne could you please tell me your sources for this information.
              Dead sea scrolls carbon dating : Link

Languages and content: The Dead Sea Scrolls - Browser Not Supported (that's an online library with photos and editorials of the scrolls)
              Comment>

Originally posted by Julianne View Post
                Dead sea scrolls carbon dating : Link

Languages and content: The Dead Sea Scrolls - Browser Not Supported (that's an online library with photos and editorials of the scrolls)
                Thanks you so much Julianne. The reason I asked is that I believe there is some confusion. Not all of the manuscripts are considered Dead Sea Scrolls. Those found at Qumran are considered DSS. Those manuscripts are designated with a number, followed by the letter Q, and then a name. For example 11QpaleoLeviticus, this manuscript was found in cave 11, at Qumran, and it contains a portion of the book of Leviticus written in the paleo-Hebrew script.

Of course other manuscripts have been found at various Judean Desert sites but they are not considered part DSS corpus found at Qumran. Different groups or people placed these documents in caves, at different time periods, for safe keeping but probably for different reasons. For example at Nahal Hever a cave was discovered which contain 15 letters (i.e. the cave of the letters) by Simon bar Kochba. The Bar Kochba revolt took place between A.D. 132-135. The Qumran community was destroyed ca A.D. 70 and those manuscripts are dated from the third century B.C. to the first centry A.D.

The manuscripts are unusually divided into two groups, the Judean Desert group and the Qumran group. Those in the Judean Desert group were found at Wadi Daliyeh, Khirbet Mird, Wadi Murabba'at, Nahal Hever, Masada, and Nahal Se'elim.
                Last edited by Origen; 04-30-2017, 11:07 AM.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap