Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Germany: Christians Told Not to Try to Convert Jews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany: Christians Told Not to Try to Convert Jews

The Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD) decided in their recent synod meeting that German Christians do not have an obligation to evangelize the Jews.

The ethics of Germans evangelizing Jews is complicated by the German reformer Martin Luther’s blatant anti-semitism, as well as the Holocaust and the Nazi party’s annihilation of six million Jews during World War II.

According to ChristianToday.com, during a four-day synod in Magdeburg, Germany, the EKD agreed that Christians are “not called to show Israel the way to God and his salvation.”

The 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the church door in Wittenburg will take place next year and Protestant church leaders want to tread carefully due to Luther’s anti-semitic views.

Luther once wrote regarding the Jews, "Their private houses must be destroyed and devastated, they could be lodged in stables. Let the magistrates burn their synagogues and let whatever escapes be covered with sand and mud.

Let them be forced to work, and if this avails nothing, we will be compelled to expel them like dogs in order not to expose ourselves to incurring divine wrath and eternal damnation from the Jews and their lies."

Although the EKD had already repudiated Luther’s statement and held that it “is incompatible with the Biblical testimony of God to His people,” this new measure of no evangelism to the Jews seeks to go even farther.

"We reaffirm our opposition and resistance to old and new forms of anti-Semitism and anti-Semitism. The coexistence of Christians and Jews is a common journey on the road to responsibility for justice, peace and the preservation of creation,” the synod’s resolution concluded.

Source: Germany: Christians Told Not to Try to Convert Jews - Christian News Headlines

Diego ConfessionalLutheran RevT

Any thoughts? Regarding eschatology, I think this actually supports a Dispensational Premillennialist view where there are two ways to salvation. One through the Jews and the other through the Gentiles, just pointing it out. I'm a little lost though when reading the article, does the EKD have anything to do with the Lutherans? Or are they simply Evangelist attempting to be some form of authoritative body in Germany? Following the same logic by EKD, it should also be made public that Jews should not attempt to convert Christians, because Jews murdered Jesus Christ. This is Political Correctness crept inside the church IMO.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      I think this actually supports a Dispensational Premillennialist view where there are two ways to salvation.
      Really? I am a dispensational premillennialist and I have never heard any teaching that there are two ways to salvation. During the present age God is no longer working through the Jewish nation but individual Jews must put their faith in Christ just as Gentiles do if they want to be saved.

The article concludes with this paragraph:

"We reaffirm our opposition and resistance to old and new forms of anti-Semitism and anti-Semitism. The coexistence of Christians and Jews is a common journey on the road to responsibility for justice, peace and the preservation of creation,” the synod’s resolution concluded.
      They claim to repudiate anti-Semitism, but failure to tell Jews the gospel is the worst kind of anti-Semitism there is.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        Really? I am a dispensational premillennialist and I have never heard any teaching that there are two ways to salvation. During the present age God is no longer working through the Jewish nation but individual Jews must put their faith in Christ just as Gentiles do if they want to be saved.

The article concludes with this paragraph:

They claim to repudiate anti-Semitism, but failure to tell Jews the gospel is the worst kind of anti-Semitism there is.
        G'morning Theo,

I meant "several" ways. There are several ways to salvation in the disp. view, but most disp pre-mill. I debate end up branching off into two ways of salvation depending on whether people are of one or the other of two peoples of God. Here's an article addressing an apparent distortion, but I believe the distortion is rather common among those in the camp:

Link

Representative dispensationalists today all repudiate the idea of two ways of salvation, and insist of the unity of one way. In this respect, they are affirming the heart of the theology of the covenant of grace, whose main function is to articulate precisely this unity. But more subtle differences still crop up. The sharp distinction between grace and law can tempt some dispensationalists into formulations that leave out or deny the fact that Christian believers should be careful to obey God’s standards (the third use of the law). Dispensationalism’s founder, J. N. Darby, shows the same tendency in a pronounced and even denunciatory form. Darby says:
        All this [the Westminster Confession’s statement on the covenant and on the law of God] is a fable and a mischievous fable. And I notice it because it is the foundation of the whole religious system to which it belongs. … The basis of the entire system of moral relationship with God in Presbyterianism is false; and it has tainted the whole Evangelical system everywhere.9
        Presbyterianism and Dispensationalism

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

I meant "several" ways. There are several ways to salvation in the disp. view, but most disp pre. I debate end up branching off into two ways of salvation.
          I was thinking the same thing myself. Why is there a need for the temple to be rebuilt and for the sacrifices to begin? Some would say because of the rapture but that makes no sense. All Christians have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, hence they are the temple of God, and the atoning sacrifice of Christ, therefore any other sacrifice would be pointless.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
            I was thinking the same thing myself. Why is there a need for the temple to be rebuilt and the sacrifices to begin? Some would say because of the rapture but that makes no sense. All Christians have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the atoning sacrifice of Christ.
            After the rapture the Antichrist will make a 7 year treaty with the Jews which will enable them to rebuild the temple. These will be unbelieving Jews who don't acknowledge Jesus as their Messiah. In the middle of the 7 years the Antichrist will stand in the temple and demand that he be worshiped. This will show the Jews that he is not really their messiah and the resulting persecution will lead them to realize that Jesus is in fact their Messiah.

During the Millenium a new temple will be built and sacrifices will be offered but these will be intended as reminders of what Jesus has done, not pictures of what he will do as the original sacrifices were.

Animal sacrifices during the Millenium | clydeherrin
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

During the Millenium a new temple will be built and sacrifices will be offered but these will be intended as reminders of what Jesus has done, not pictures of what he will do as the original sacrifices were.
              • John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.”

This is all the reminder that God's people ever need. Some will not like to be reminded of this Temple that was destroyed and rebuilt.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

After the rapture the Antichrist will make a 7 year treaty with the Jews which will enable them to rebuild the temple. These will be unbelieving Jews who don't acknowledge Jesus as their Messiah. In the middle of the 7 years the Antichrist will stand in the temple and demand that he be worshiped. This will show the Jews that he is not really their messiah and the resulting persecution will lead them to realize that Jesus is in fact their Messiah.

That is an interesting and convoluted theory but it still makes no sense and is wholly unbiblical. Being in the presence of God and Christ, who still bears the wounds of His sacrifice, and even then that will not be enough for us. Thus God still has to remind us.
                Comment>

Diego ConfessionalLutheran RevT

Any thoughts? Regarding eschatology, I think this actually supports a Dispensational Premillennialist view where there are two ways to salvation. One through the Jews and the other through the Gentiles, just pointing it out. I'm a little lost though when reading the article, does the EKD have anything to do with the Lutherans? Or are they simply Evangelist attempting to be some form of authoritative body in Germany? Following the same logic by EKD, it should also be made public that Jews should not attempt to convert Christians, because Jews murdered Jesus Christ. This is Political Correctness crept inside the church IMO.

God bless,
                  William
                  Home Absolutely disgraceful. The Evangelischer Kirche in Deutschland is a member church of the Lutheran World Federation, which is also the umbrella organization that the Evangelical Church in America belongs to, which would imply a more " progressive," " Social Gospel" emphasis and which is completely disassociated with Confessional Lutheranism. The Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod maintains the position that Jesus Christ is the Only way to the Father and so they maintain missionary ministries to the Jewish people Lutheran ministry seeks to convert Jews. Christianity is not eager for anybody to be lost, which according to the Gospel is what will happen to those who reject God's grace offered through faith in Christ alone.
                  Comment>

Forgive me for my absence. My life has been a bit of a mess lately. Obviously, this is tomfoolery. People of the Jewish Faith and Nation need saving as much as anyone else, and only Christ can do that. Please do note that the LWF is, for the most part, composed of "Churches" that are mostly quatenus and so far gone into heresy as to not matter. Only quia, Confessional Lutherans represent true Lutheranism. As for Luther's own anti-Semitism, he was a fallible human as we all are. LCMS has also distanced itself from that, as it should. But being kind to the Jews, and every human being is simply what we are called to do as Christians. Abusing Jews is wrong. And the most abusive thing we can do is to NOT present our Faith to them. Now rremember, the Church OFFERS her Faith, She does not FORCE it down one's throat. But there you are.
                    Comment>

This is a "Lutheran" reaction to Rome's declaration in Nostra Aetate that people can be still be saved by Christ through a different covenant than the Christian one. Just garbage.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap