Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Earthquake Kills Dozens In Italy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake Kills Dozens In Italy

My condolences go to those who lost their loved ones in Italy after an earthquake. Is there a way that we can avoid such catastrophes and save lives? I think that scientists should look for a way of knowing what's happening before earthquakes strike. We should also be advised about possible regions which are prone to earthquakes.

My heart goes out to the people of that area.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Francis View Post
      My condolences go to those who lost their loved ones in Italy after an earthquake. Is there a way that we can avoid such catastrophes and save lives? I think that scientists should look for a way of knowing what's happening before earthquakes strike. We should also be advised about possible regions which are prone to earthquakes.
      Hi again Francis, there is more "science" than we've ever had to help predict such things today, but clearly, we've got a long way to go :( Life is unpredictable, which makes living here a scary thing sometimes. There is good news, we have a God who is able to turn all of that "scary stuff" into something "wonderful" for His children, amen :) (Romans 8:28).

Yours in Christ,
      David
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

Originally posted by Papa Zoom View Post
        My heart goes out to the people of that area.
        Hey Papa Zoom, good to see you Brother :) As beautiful as Italy is, it can be a tough place to live at times like this because of all of the old buildings, which are anything but earthquake proof, and because of all the cities and villages that are perched up on hills, often with a single road leading in and out of them.

The look on the faces of the men and women in Amatrice as they searched through the rubble was heartbreaking. I read that they've had over a 1,000 aftershocks since then as well :(

Yours and His,
        David
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Construction 'on the cheap' may have cost lives in Italy earthquake
          rosecutor Giuseppe Saieva said the quake that killed at least 290 people may have been more than an unavoidable natural disaster. A quake in the region seven years ago killed more than 300 people and alerted authorities to the need for earthquake-resistant construction. Saieva said property owners who contracted shoddy work could be held responsible for contributing to the damage.
          I think that scientists should look for a way of knowing what's happening before earthquakes strike.
          Science doesn't have all the answers. While it's possible to predict that there'll be an earthquake in earthquake-prone areas what of when a seismic event causes an earthquake in a place where earthquakes are a rare occurrence? It's another sign that we are living in the last days.
          Comment>

Well when it comes to Earthquakes there is really not much you can do. All of these older cities also find themselves particularly vulnerable too, just with all of the older buildings and infrastructure. It is certainly sad, and a terrible tragedy for the area and for the people. The only real thing to hope is that they can rebuild stronger, but that will surely take some time and hard work, and support of course. They are all in my prayers. Thanks for sharing and God Bless.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap