Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

The Killing Time: Inside Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s War on Drugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Killing Time: Inside Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s War on Drugs

Nobody can claim to be surprised. The carnage is exactly what Duterte promised. “All of you who are into drugs, you sons of bitches, I will really kill you,” he said before his election, in April. A month later, when he was President-elect, Duterte offered medals and cash rewards for citizens that shot dealers dead.

“Do your duty, and if in the process you kill 1,000 persons because you were doing your duty, I will protect you,” he told police officers on July 1, the day after his inauguration. He was speaking at a ceremony installing dela Rosa, his loyal henchman, as the nation’s top cop.

“If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful,” he was quoted as saying to another crowd that day.

The Killing Time: Inside Rodrigo Duterte's Drug War | Time.com

Contract killing is nothing new in the Philippines. But the hit squads have never been as busy as they are now. President Duterte has sent out an unambiguous message.

Ahead of his election, he promised to kill 100,000 criminals in his first six months in office.

And he has warned drug dealers in particular: "Do not destroy my country, because I will kill you."

Philippines drugs war: The woman who kills dealers for a living - BBC News

I always thought that this kind of approach could solve our nation's drug problem. I must admit that there was a certain shock factor when reading the News for the first time on this headline. Statistically, the amount of citizens who use meth comes to 2.3% in the Philippines, and 2.2% here in America. After reading Time's publication I came away from the article realizing America's drug problem will never be resolved because criminals have too many rights. If a person was running for POTUS here in the U.S., admitted to drug use, that alone would gain traction with some voters.

Looks like the Philippines are cleaning house. Criminals are actually turning themselves over to law enforcement to have their lives spared. Just imagine that!

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I feel bad for the woman who wants to leave before one of your jobs goes bad and before her children wonder if their lives are supported by blood money. On one level, I could understand doing this if you were a hundred percent sure the person was a dealer. On the other hand, I also believe you should get a fair trail to plead your case. There are many stories of drug dealers that go into prison, find god, and makes something of themselves that betters not only their lives but the lives of others. So for those success stories, I can't really approve of this form of martial law. Though I do respect the fact that the President kept his promise.
      Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
        I feel bad for the woman who wants to leave before one of your jobs goes bad and before her children wonder if their lives are supported by blood money. On one level, I could understand doing this if you were a hundred percent sure the person was a dealer. On the other hand, I also believe you should get a fair trail to plead your case. There are many stories of drug dealers that go into prison, find god, and makes something of themselves that betters not only their lives but the lives of others. So for those success stories, I can't really approve of this form of martial law. Though I do respect the fact that the President kept his promise.
        A fair share of people suggests that drugs should be legalized. What if killing drug dealers was legalized? What is the difference of perspective? Freedom, I want the freedom to do drugs, and I want to be freed from drugs. What's the difference in perspective?

All I can say to those in the Philippines is what I expect on the last day, "I wish you had more time." Seems for some, you have ran out of time.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

A fair share of people suggests that drugs should be legalized. What if killing drug dealers was legalized? What is the difference of perspective? Freedom, I want the freedom to do drugs, and I want to be freed from drugs. What's the difference in perspective?

All I can say to those in the Philippines is what I expect on the last day, "I wish you had more time." Seems for some, you have ran out of time.

God bless,
          William
          I agree with your that it'll be like that on the last day where we wish we had more time to do right by God. But then again, we aren't God. Even with the best intentions, our actions are flawed. Legalizing killing drug dealers is still murder. The same way killing a fetus is murder. Just because something is legalized doesn't make it right. I don't think legalizing drugs should be okay unless they are being turned into actual medicine. I think the best thing my mom ever taught me was that I was free to do whatever I want, but I'm not free of the consequences. While I don't agree with the mowing down drug dealers. They should be capture, tried fairly, and put to jail. They could force them to work on projects to improve the areas they've destroyed. I'm not saying the drug dealers should be treated lightly, but making a judgement about someone's life without a fair trial bothers me. This allows the cops to have unchecked authority over life and death of the country's citizens and that power will be abused.
          Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post

I agree with your that it'll be like that on the last day where we wish we had more time to do right by God. But then again, we aren't God. Even with the best intentions, our actions are flawed. Legalizing killing drug dealers is still murder. The same way killing a fetus is murder. Just because something is legalized doesn't make it right. I don't think legalizing drugs should be okay unless they are being turned into actual medicine. I think the best thing my mom ever taught me was that I was free to do whatever I want, but I'm not free of the consequences. While I don't agree with the mowing down drug dealers. They should be capture, tried fairly, and put to jail. They could force them to work on projects to improve the areas they've destroyed. I'm not saying the drug dealers should be treated lightly, but making a judgement about someone's life without a fair trial bothers me. This allows the cops to have unchecked authority over life and death of the country's citizens and that power will be abused.
            The Government is ordained by God as servants to wield the sword and actively combat evil. The lines only become blurred when good and evil are made grey. This goes into our other conversation, really, I believe there's no place for democracy in Christianity. The choice is clear, autonomy or theonomy. The OT outlines what is necessary before sentencing someone to death (witnesses). And a reoccurring statement in such cases is let there be no blood guilt on your head. Another words, there's no guilt that should be associated by acting upon the will of God as revealed in Scripture. It is our society that manipulates that:
            • Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Yep it's certainly shocking to hear that from a head of state but Filipinos are tired of the corruption and drugs in the Philippines and they believe that only a tough President like Rodrigo Duterte than clean up the country. There's no excuse for violence here but drug pushers and corrupt politicians only understand persuasion through violence. I only hope his war is righteous.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap