Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

The attempted coup in Turkey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The attempted coup in Turkey

A coup has been attempted several times in Turkey and as the situation progresses, it is an additional worry for terrorist activities. I have a friend (UK) who lives there with her Turkish husband, but they are in a tourist resort so hopefully won't be too affected.

This brings more instability to the world and it's worrying that there is so much violence all of a sudden. Sadly it means everyone needs to be more aware when they travel or where they go.

Currently British Airways have cancelled all their flights to Turkey, but other airlines are still operating so far in and out of the country. I hope that there won't be too many more casualties, but can we trust the authorities when they say things are under control?

Saw this morning with the Turkish CNN studios getting stormed, pretty crazy. Ultimately I wonder what it will do for the region and the military who was involved in the coup.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Ava View Post
      A coup has been attempted several times in Turkey and as the situation progresses, it is an additional worry for terrorist activities. I have a friend (UK) who lives there with her Turkish husband, but they are in a tourist resort so hopefully won't be too affected.

This brings more instability to the world and it's worrying that there is so much violence all of a sudden. Sadly it means everyone needs to be more aware when they travel or where they go.

Currently British Airways have cancelled all their flights to Turkey, but other airlines are still operating so far in and out of the country. I hope that there won't be too many more casualties, but can we trust the authorities when they say things are under control?
      I wouldn't call the successful coups prior to this failed attempt several coup attempts. You might want to read up on Turkish history.
      Comment>

I understand the appeal of trying to take over Turkey because it's one of the important country between the Middle East and Europe. I'll pray for the people in Turkey to be safe. Is your friend and her husband still safe?
        Comment>

I couldn't believe my eyes when watching the videos last night. There was absolutely no reason to attack innocent people by helicopter. Our world seems so corrupt at the moment. It hurts my heart to see different places in the world struggling to make ends meet. The fact that their military felt the need to break away makes me wonder what kinds of problems their facing, but at the same time there is never an excuse to hurt innocent people. I am keeping Turkey in my prayers and hoping that they can overcome this. My heart truly goes out to those that were injured during all of this.
          Comment>

From speaking to my friend's husband in Turkey and when I have visited them, the country has always in their lifetime being very unstable and what is reported and recorded in history is very different from how the natives tell it. That is one reason we must take the news reports (and what is documented in history) with a pinch of salt.

I'm not going to argue with someone who was born in Turkey and lived there their whole life and tell them, well the history books say this and the news websites say that, because they will have a different view of what really did happen. I am more inclined to believe their version of events, and although my friends live in a tourist resort area they are still aware of what happens in other areas of Turkey but are less affected. Turkey has always been a country with issues and does harbor grudges against other countries.
            Comment>

Reports of this being a planned inside job, thoughts on such a thing? Link here which I was reading this morning, very interesting/disturbing times we live in: Erdogan's 'gift from god' sparks Turkish coup conspiracy theory
              Comment>

Authorities are continuing to arrest those suspected to have taken part in the coup. Thousands of soldiers are now in police custody waiting to be charged for their role in the attempted coup. I am still wondering how comes the soldiers managed to execute their planned coup without the president knowing about it. I pray that normalcy returns to Turkey since civilians are the ones who get affected.
                Comment>

What this coup attempt did was give Erdogan what he's always wanted — absolute power. Turkey previously was considerably secular but after this coup attempt I'm sure the dictator will most obviously want to change that, make the country more conservative. And as radical Islam changes the country the West will have to distance itself from Turkey.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap