View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Ted Cruz Is Asked to Name 'Last Time' He 'Asked God for Forgiveness'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Cruz Is Asked to Name 'Last Time' He 'Asked God for Forgiveness'

He had to reach that far back to find a time when he asked God to forgive him for something? All most people need to do is go back a few hours to find something they've done or thought, that they need to repent from, and ask our heavenly Father to forgive! It's God's Holy Spirit's job to bring each of us into repentance for each and every sin we commit, as He teaches us how to become more like Jesus in everything we do and think.

God has been able to help me through the big things, and has brought even the littlest of sins into better focus, showing me that, yes, repenting from the biggies is wonderful, but not to overlook the little ones, that His Holy Spirit brings to mind! :)

After our son was killed I expected, [and really thought they would], that family members would come to our sides, to help us through some of the worst agonythat life has to offer--but, that never happened--not that evening, or night, not the next day, not during all of that week even--and, my mind began to reel with even more disbelief--[having to deal with the disbelief that my son was now dead was not enough!]--most of them lived only a 3 hour car ride away, or closer, too, yet they never came to our house to be with us.[I have since found out why they did that to us, too, and it's not because they are Christians, even though they go to Mass every single Sunday!--no, their true 'religion' has far more to do with hell, than with heaven]

And, things only got worse after that, with my husband and I finding ourselves spending that Thanksgiving all by ourselves, not having been invited to anyone else's home for dinner that day--for Christmas it was the same way, even though we were able to gather with family members a few days before Christmas--but, I left that gathering in tears after one family member said something so cruel as to be unbelievable to me[she told me they all had a right to move on with their lives, and not grieve for Bobby any longer. That 'the family' had 'decided' to move on with their lives] Our son had just been buried a couple of months earlier, and, they may have 'decided' to move on, but his father and I were not yet able to reach that level of frivolous cheerfulness, and felicity, and the fact we were still filled with grief was so obvious as I looked at my husband and the pain on his face, as the rest of those people/family members laughed and joked and never once gave a thought to how we might be feeling at that time--so, under my breath I asked "How can they laugh it up like that?", because I couldn't understand it--but, a family member sitting near me actually heard what I'd nearly whispered to myself, and she turned on me like a rabid dog, and lit into me about how they'd all 'decided' they were no longer grieving for our son, so our feelings literally meant zero to any of them.

Having to forgive that kind of hatefulness, heartlessness, and back-handed insult, is what I have been struggling with for the last 9+ years now--I've also lost two women whom I thought were my friends, who took the opportunity of our son's death to accuse me of something I could never have done[!], and one turned on us both because we didn't like this current president, hurting us very badly--never once has my husband's brother or his wife ever stepped foot in our home to be with us at all, since Bobby's death--so, nearly on a daily basis I've had to turn to the Lord, asking Him to forgive my anger, my rage, at how we've been treated by those I thought cared about us, and the verse that tells us exactly to whom vengeance belongs is one I've had to repeat over and over again to myself day in and day out for a very long time now, so that it could help me let go of that hurt, and anger, [righteous or otherwise], then ask God to please forgive me for harboring such anger, and asking Him to help me to pray for those people, and to remember that the Lord Jesus told us to do good things for even our enemies--and, over the years, with no help from anyone else, the Lord has helped me through all of this, and kept me 'facing forward', and remembering that obedience to His commands is the most vital thing I need to practice, and never give in to the hurt, and the anger from that hurt.

But, while I struggled with all of that, the Holy Spirit has been able to see lots of other, smaller things in my life that I also needed to ask forgiveness for, and ask for help in correcting--but, I think by my deciding to obey the Lord, and struggle against that hurt and anger instead of giving in to it, it's helped God to be able to make me see the 'smaller' sins far easier and better than I might have been able to without that bigger struggle--or, at least, it may have taken twice as long without it. :D
    Pax Christi
    Christine
    Comment>

Originally posted by Christine View Post
      He had to reach that far back to find a time when he asked God to forgive him for something?
      I think Cruz reached to a monumental point in his life. Compare this to Trump when asked the same question:

"I like to be good. I don't like to have to ask for forgiveness. And I am good. I don't do a lot of things that are bad. I try to do nothing that is bad."

"I am not sure I have," Trump said when asked if he'd ever asked God for forgiveness. "I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don't think so," he said. "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture. I don't."
      God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Oh, I know, and thank you, William--what I said was really more light-hearted than it appeared to be, but I should have followed it up with a smiley face--:D

Plus, it's so clear that Mr. Trump only has a very minor education on what God's word has to say on anything, and on what it means to be a Christian--sort of like me, before I met Christ that day along time ago now. He doesn't understand how much he needs God to hear from him, personally, in prayer, especially when it comes to his sins--he probably doesn't really have any idea exactly what those sins are, either--but, I keep on praying for him, since, unlike far too many people I see these days, the man actually shows some modicum of caring, when it comes to the subject of God--on the subject of Christ, that's something altogether different, and I have no clue if he would even sit still for the subject being seriously broached in his presence on any level whatsoever. I just keep remembering what the Lord said to His disciples, when it came to those who are still 'on the outside looking in', yet who seem to want to help further the cause of Christ in some way at least:

"For he that is not against us is on our part."[Mark 9:40 KJV]
        "And, Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."[Luke 9:50 KJV]
        {Amen}:)

Pax Christi,
        Christine

Comment>

A true Christian lives a life where he is constantly asking God for forgiveness and Strength. It is what Paul talked about when he said he is the worst sinner of them all. I think Cruz and most politicians just read the Cliff Notes on being an evangelical, and then twist it for political gains.... or at best, he is a Sunday Christian. Of the five, only Kasich and Sanders walk anywhere near the life of a Christian, which is ironic since Sanders is a Jew.
          Comment>

Trump makes those type of replies, and then in the same breath says things like, "I love the Bible that's a great book" just to try to win over the Evangelical vote. I can see right through Trump. I do not particularly feel that Cruz's answer was very genuine, but I can see why he would have reservations, strategy wise, in saying that he frequently has to ask for forgiveness. He may think it might put forth a thought in the voters minds that he commits a lot of mistakes. Which is not an attribute that people look for in a future president.
            Comment>

Originally posted by LivingH2O View Post
              Trump makes those type of replies, and then in the same breath says things like, "I love the Bible that's a great book" just to try to win over the Evangelical vote. I can see right through Trump. I do not particularly feel that Cruz's answer was very genuine, but I can see why he would have reservations, strategy wise, in saying that he frequently has to ask for forgiveness. He may think it might put forth a thought in the voters minds that he commits a lot of mistakes. Which is not an attribute that people look for in a future president.

I definitely have to agree with you on that note. I feel like Trump is just catering to a older, possibly slower crowd and Cruz just doesn't have the clout to make it out of the primary. I'm sure Cruz has asked God for forgiveness more often than not... that could be making talking out of God's name or cursing... minor things. But I'm also positive he doesn't want to look weak by admitting that he presently asks the Lord for forgiveness.
              Comment>

Politics is a dirty business. People would make small issues larger than life, and all to deface a public figure. I kind of feel bad for them actually. They get harassed daily about their personal lives, and one mistake would add up to a bad press for a very long time. My prayers are with them. They definitely need it.
                Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

I think Cruz reached to a monumental point in his life. Compare this to Trump when asked the same question:

God bless,
                  William
                  Trump's unapologetic stance in life goes on to demonstrate what kind of insincere beings politicians are. I mean, one can't be too perfect to trivialize the act of repentance as he did. We are not perfect and should continuously be asking for forgiveness for sins we commit by acts of commission or omission.
                  Comment>

I don't buy into what any political candidate claims about their relationship with our Lord. Unfortunately it's 95% propaganda. They make a lot of claims, yet their history when it comes to politics doesn't ever seem to line up with their religious claims. Unfortunately it usually comes down to voting for the lesser of the evils.
                    Comment>

Ted Cruz's answer is heartfelt and perfectly picks a moment that tugs at your empathy but it's a perfect politician's answer. He prayed for something that was his father's fault, his father getting a divorce, not something that he did wrong. He made sure that he wasn't the bad guy, the sinner, in his conversation. It's well structured but it's problematic that it was that long ago and wasn't about something that he did. In a way, Cruz and Trump are the same because they both don't pray for forgiveness but only one of them admits it openly. I respect Trump more for saying he tries to be a good person so he doesn't have to pray for forgiveness. It's not the best way, but it's better that a perfectly constructed politician, I'm tired of those.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap