View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Tom Cruise was once a ‘born-again Christian,’ actor claims in new book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Cruise was once a ‘born-again Christian,’ actor claims in new book

Actor Curtis Armstrong is claiming in his forthcoming book that movie star Tom Cruise was at one time “a born-again Christian,” though he also asserts Cruise was quite promiscuous in the early years of his Hollywood career.

The revelation about Cruise comes from an excerpt published by The Hollywood Reporter of Armstrong’s book, “Revenge of the Nerd: Or … The Singular Adventures of the Man Who Would Be Booger,” in which the actor details his experiences starring alongside Cruise in the 1983 hit movie “Risky Business.”

Armstrong, 63, describes Cruise, who today is well known for his practice of Scientology, as, at the time, “a born-again Christian” and credits the Hollywood star’s reported faith as the foundation of the discipline he exhibited while making the hit ’80s movie.

“[Cruise] self-identified as a born-again Christian and the rumor was he had actually considered shepherding souls for a living,” Armstrong writes. “I could believe it. Away from the set, initially, Tom made straight arrows look like corkscrews.

“I would ask him at the end of the day if he would like to join us at the bar for a drink,” Armstrong continues. “‘No,’ I recall [Cruise] saying, ‘Got an early call tomorrow. Got to work out still, study my lines. And then I like to read the Bible a little before bed.’”

Cruise allegedly told Armstrong that reading Scripture before going to sleep helped keep him “on the right track.”

But not for long, apparently. Cruise’s co-star also claims the A-list actor was having sex with several young women at the same time he was allegedly practicing his Christian faith.

Armstrong wrote that on one particular night he “found three or four young girls — late teens, I suspect — lined up in the hall outside of Tom’s room.” Armstrong said it happened on an evening he thought Cruise was immersed in Bible reading.

“I remember thinking, ‘Tom’s going to be really upset if these hot girls interfere with his Bible reading,’” Armstrong wrote. “So I asked them, with all the stern gravitas of my 28 years, if there was something I could do to help them.”

Alas, Cruise was allegedly entertaining each of the women.

“This was a young man who knew something about time management and understood how to successfully juggle Bible study and [sex],” Armstrong recalled. “I went to bed alone that night thinking it served me right for not being religious.”

As for Cruise, he has since clarified his religious beliefs. In October, the 54-year-old actor opened up about his belief in Scientology in a rare interview with ITV News.

“It’s something that’s helped me incredibly in my life. I’ve been a Scientologist for over 30 years,” he said at the London premiere of “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.” “It’s something that has, you know, without it, I wouldn’t be where I am.”

He went on to say Scientology is a “beautiful religion” that he is “incredibly proud” to represent.

It should be noted, though, that not everyone has such a rosy perspective about Scientology — including some of the religious sect’s former members, such as actor Leah Remini, who said last week it is her “passion” to take down the Church of Scientology.

She said the religion, which has for years been shrouded in mystery, is “tearing families apart.”

Remini now hosts a show on A&E called “Scientology and the Aftermath,” in which she explains why she left the religion and educates viewers about why — in her mind — the sect is so dangerous.

“[My agents] don’t want me to be known as somebody who does a show about Scientology,” she said. “I’m like, ‘What am I going to do? Not do it? This is my passion.’”

Interesting! But it's not that of a surprise to me, since this has become so wide-spread. If you ask people lately/in this modern days why they chose to forsake the faith, they'll give you a list you don't wanna hear/see.. It's not only in the movie industry but also in the music sector where people like Katy Perry and the likes where once active members of particular choir! It's an Era of immense Change.
    Comment>

Originally posted by David View Post
      Interesting! But it's not that of a surprise to me, since this has become so wide-spread. If you ask people lately/in this modern days why they chose to forsake the faith, they'll give you a list you don't wanna hear/see.. It's not only in the movie industry but also in the music sector where people like Katy Perry and the likes where once active members of particular choir! It's an Era of immense Change.
      Hi David,

Just welcoming you to Christforums as I see this is your first post. Hope your time and engagement here is a fruitful one!

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Thank you William.
        Feels great to be here..I'm looking forward to sharing ideas, learning from suggestions, inspiring, and having a great-experience from this forum.
        It's captivating and has alot of engaging topics! Glad to be here.
        Comment>

Hmmmm -- is Tom Cruize going to run for a public office?! (Ted Cruize / Tom Cruize)
          Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
            Hmmmm -- is Tom Cruize going to run for a public office?! (Ted Cruize / Tom Cruize)
            I certainly hope not.

A lot of people think they are born again when they are not. I once thought I was born again just because I had been baptized and was now a member of a church. To find out whether a person has really been born again you have to look at how he lives.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

I certainly hope not.

A lot of people think they are born again when they are not. I once thought I was born again just because I had been baptized and was now a member of a church. To find out whether a person has really been born again you have to look at how he lives.
              Good point -- by their fruits you shall know them.
              Comment>

I certainly hope not.

Do you mean like David? A man that committed murder, adultery, and took out vengeance upon his death bed?

I think some mistaken Regeneration with Sanctification. And then some Sanctification with Glorification.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

I certainly hope not.

Very TRUE.
                  Alot of people get baptised, but they fail to be 'CONVERTED'
                  You will know they aren't 'by their fruits/deeds' -If they don't change their past (sinful/evil acts) or they don't get better in their Christian walk (daily repentance, life re-submission to God) or backsliding and never turning back to God and His ways..
                  Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Do you mean like David? A man that committed murder, adultery, and took out vengeance upon his death bed?

I think some mistaken Regeneration with Sanctification. And then some Sanctification with Glorification.

God bless,
                    William
                    Well -- he committed adultery and arranged for murder and was rebuked and came back to his senses / repented -- God took his infant son back from David. Wasn't he one of the great men of God?
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post

Well -- he committed adultery and arranged for murder and was rebuked and came back to his senses / repented -- God took his infant son back from David. Wasn't he one of the great men of God?
                      My point being is whether someone that commits adultery, murder, and makes vengeful death bed proclamations demonstrating the fruit of someone born again? Of course repentance and faith are fruits of regeneration, however, in Theo's case and what he is suggesting is that David should of been re-circumcised after he "came back to his senses / repented"? The same applies to baptism.

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

My point being is whether someone that commits adultery, murder, and makes vengeful death bed proclamations demonstrating the fruit of someone born again? Of course repentance and faith are fruits of regeneration, however, in Theo's case and what he is suggesting is that David should of been re-circumcised after he "came back to his senses / repented"? The same applies to baptism.

God bless,
                        William
                        :) Then I find Theo's perspective Amusing, I'm not sure if re-circumcision is practical neither was it practical in those days.
                        But I think they came back to God's ways/side by Repentance ways -like sighing & crying for mercy and forgiveness from God and also wearing sack-clothes and applying ashes to their faces and other body parts as they were seeking forgiveness in prayers.
                        Comment>

He thinks a religion that worships aliens is better than a Christian sect? :rolleyes: I know Scientology have controversies of it's own. I notice that most celebrities who are members of this religion ages slower. I heard the long lasting youth is one of the reasons why Celebrities converts to this religion. They also get some sort of financial compensation because of the publicity it gives them. The founder of this religion admitted he murdered his own daughter.

Oh they also believe on the existence of Xenu. Yup an alien from outerspace.
                          Comment>

in Theo's case and what he is suggesting is that David should of been re-circumcised after he "came back to his senses / repented"?
                            I'm not suggesting that at all. Where did you get that idea?
                            Clyde Herrin's Blog
                            Comment>

God bless,
                              William
                              David was a man after God's own heart. He was a believer and for a long time he did a wonderful job. Then he messed up pretty badly. He didn't earn his salvation by good works and he didn't loose it because of bad behavior. But why should David have been re-circumsized. And how could he have been. You're talking about physical circumcision -- the foreskin doesn't grow back so how can a man be circumcised a second time. Any more than a person can be saved a second time. Maybe being baptized again? Maybe going forward at the end of a church service and having pastor pray with you for a refreshing of your heart and presenting that to the congregation.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap