View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Only Mass Deportation Can Save America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Mass Deportation Can Save America

In the matter of immigration, mark this conservative columnist down as strongly pro-deportation. The United States has too many people who don’t work hard, don’t believe in God, don’t contribute much to society and don’t appreciate the greatness of the American system.

They need to return whence they came.

I speak of Americans whose families have been in this country for a few generations. Complacent, entitled and often shockingly ignorant on basic points of American law and history, they are the stagnant pool in which our national prospects risk drowning.

On point after point, America’s nonimmigrants are failing our country. Crime? A study by the Cato Institute notes that nonimmigrants are incarcerated at nearly twice the rate of illegal immigrants, and at more than three times the rate of legal ones.

Educational achievement? Just 17 percent of the finalists in the 2016 Intel Science Talent Search — often called the “Junior Nobel Prize” — were the children of United States-born parents. At the Rochester Institute of Technology, just 9.5 percent of graduate students in electrical engineering were nonimmigrants.
    Religious piety — especially of the Christian variety? More illegal immigrants identify as Christian (83 percent) than do Americans (70.6 percent), a fact right-wing immigration restrictionists might ponder as they bemoan declines in church attendance.

Business creation? Nonimmigrants start businesses at half the rate of immigrants, and accounted for fewer than half the companies started in Silicon Valley between 1995 and 2005. Overall, the share of nonimmigrant entrepreneurs fell by more than 10 percentage points between 1995 and 2008, according to a Harvard Business Review study.

Nor does the case against nonimmigrants end there. The rate of out-of-wedlock births for United States-born mothers exceeds the rate for foreign-born moms, 42 percent to 33 percent. The rate of delinquency and criminality among nonimmigrant teens considerably exceeds that of their immigrant peers. A recent report by the Sentencing Project also finds evidence that the fewer immigrants there are in a neighborhood, the likelier it is to be unsafe.
    And then there’s the all-important issue of demographics. The race for the future is ultimately a race for people — healthy, working-age, fertile people — and our nonimmigrants fail us here, too. “The increase in the overall number of U.S. births, from 3.74 million in 1970 to 4.0 million in 2014, is due entirely to births to foreign-born mothers,” reports the Pew Research Center. Without these immigrant moms, the United States would be faced with the same demographic death spiral that now confronts Japan.

Bottom line: So-called real Americans are screwing up America. Maybe they should leave, so that we can replace them with new and better ones: newcomers who are more appreciative of what the United States has to offer, more ambitious for themselves and their children, and more willing to sacrifice for the future. In other words, just the kind of people we used to be — when “we” had just come off the boat.

O.K., so I’m jesting about deporting “real Americans” en masse. (Who would take them in, anyway?) But then the threat of mass deportations has been no joke with this administration.
    On Thursday, the Department of Homeland Security seemed prepared to extend an Obama administration program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, which allows the children of illegal immigrants — some 800,000 people in all — to continue to study and work in the United States. The decision would have reversed one of Donald Trump’s ugly campaign threats to deport these kids, whose only crime was to have been brought to the United States by their parents.

Yet the administration is still committed to deporting their parents, and on Friday the D.H.S. announced that even DACA remains under review — another cruel twist for young immigrants wondering if they’ll be sent back to “home” countries they hardly ever knew, and whose language they might barely even speak.
    Beyond the inhumanity of toying with people’s lives this way, there’s also the shortsightedness of it. We do not usually find happiness by driving away those who would love us. Businesses do not often prosper by firing their better employees and discouraging job applications. So how does America become great again by berating and evicting its most energetic, enterprising, law-abiding, job-creating, idea-generating, self-multiplying and God-fearing people?

Because I’m the child of immigrants and grew up abroad, I have always thought of the United States as a country that belongs first to its newcomers — the people who strain hardest to become a part of it because they realize that it’s precious; and who do the most to remake it so that our ideas, and our appeal, may stay fresh.

That used to be a cliché, but in the Age of Trump it needs to be explained all over again. We’re a country of immigrants — by and for them, too. Americans who don’t get it should get out.
    Only Mass Deportation Can Save America - The New York Times
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

That which has surprised me is that the concept of defunding the Cities of Refuge in the U.S. -- areas that house the illegals -- is being challenged. I live about an hour from one of those cities. The business owners are bucking it. Guess that shouldn't be surprising, though. If the illegals are booted out, there goes their 'free' labor. And, of course, the illegals don't want to leave.

Mass deportation would create havoc. I'd be in favor of what every other country does with those in their countries illegally. Especially those who were committing crimes. Rapes, murder, drugs, cartels. The problem with the U.S. is that we're far too lenient. But mass deportation isn't really necessary. Just round up those who are actively breaking the law. Get them arrested and in jail and then deport them to other jails. Out of this country.

Yes, the U.S. is a country of immigrants -- legal ones.
    Comment>

Doesn't being born in America make somebody an American? If it doesn't, it is difficult to know what other country would regard them as its citizens. So where are you going to deport them to?
      Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post
        Doesn't being born in America make somebody an American? If it doesn't, it is difficult to know what other country would regard them as its citizens. So where are you going to deport them to?
        The people I feel sorriest for are those who came here as babies - by well-intentioned parents. People who wanted a fresh , free place for their family. And maybe they were lied to by whomever helped them get here. And there were women who were paid to come to this country to have their babies simply because being born here would garantee citizenship. Free access to all sorts of assistance. And maybe they've been hard-working law-abiding people ever since being here. Doesn't make a lot of sense to turn them back. If they are willing to work hard for their citizen ship. Not just sluff it off. Then help them earn it.

It's those who've come here and broken laws. They are criminals. And That is a Good question -- Where are going to be deported To. If We go to another country and commit a crime -- what happens to Us. We spend time in Their jails/ prisons. And That probably won't be a pleasant situation. Maybe We should take some lessons from them. Jail /prison should Not be a pleasant environment. It Should be a place to Avoid.
        Comment>

Sometimes it is hard to see the differences in those who are legal and illegal with all this protesting for rights and higher wages. Most of the rights these people are fighting for are rights that legal American's all ready have, but if your in the United States illegally you don't deserve anything, nor have the right to protest or vote. If you don't like the rules of our country then go home. Most American's accept and follow the rules and those that don't are held accountable for their actions.
          I agree with Sue D., to a point about those who came here as babies by parents looking for a better life. But most have know they were illegal and most could have applied for citizenship. But now we see how they brag about getting free education, housing, food stamps, healthcare, and still want more free things at the american citizens expense. We are broke as a nation after trying for years to help others without getting any help back. I don't see how we can afford to keep piling in more people who don't love this country and what we stand for. Maybe somehow we will come to peaceful agreements and survive this war of mixed feelings and illegal actions.
          Comment>

You have a point. But this truth comes with a price. Let us imagine, if the person who was born in America does not follow the law of America and begins to create trouble in the American soil, what are we going to do with them. Since America is a welcoming country, every year hundreds of thousand people migrate to America. What if their children becomes Anti-American?
            Comment>

Originally posted by luri View Post

You have a point. But this truth comes with a price. Let us imagine, if the person who was born in America does not follow the law of America and begins to create trouble in the American soil, what are we going to do with them. Since America is a welcoming country, every year hundreds of thousand people migrate to America. What if their children becomes Anti-American?
              Your logic can be applied to everyone that was born in the US regardless of their race, i can understand that the rules are quite lenient and should be more enforced on people that don't work nor contribute to the development and economy of the country.
              Comment>

Yes, it does. Well -- they are automatically citizens -- not automatically Americans -- if That makes sense. But there Have been women coming to this county who are pregnant to give birth in this country. Even though the parent isn't a citizen, they are assured that giving birth Here -- enables them to receive American benefits. So the mother has the option of giving the baby up for adoption Here or working for citizenship so she can keep her baby. Or remaining Illegal. And I don't think the U.S. will separate the mother and child.
                Comment>

If a woman pops out a child here that should not give the child US citizenship. It makes no legal sense. It is just another form of illegal immigration.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
                    If a woman pops out a child here that should not give the child US citizenship. It makes no legal sense. It is just another form of illegal immigration.
                    I would agree with that. I think it is mainly the US that gives citizenship to those born there, and most other countries have children inherit it from their parents. Otherwise it encourages people to come to the country and have a child just so their minor child (or the child's lawyer) can sponsor their citizenship. It can also result in tourists having to go through a long process to remove US citizenship from their child, unless they really want to deal with the issues of dual citizenship.

I did look at an article about this, and it is interesting that the writer objects to deportations on the grounds the deported immigrants have committed no offenses, then states that they were deported for overstaying visas or reentering the country illegally. I thought those were offenses?
                    Comment>

Hi I am fairly new here but not new to Christ. Immigration is a huge problem here and in the world. It will bring about positive I D. of citizenship. Time may shorter than we think. We should not be blind sided but know who we are serving.
                      Comment>

Well I am truly astonished, I was always told that The USA was a land of tolerance and freedom, it seems that as time has passed that has changed.

How exactly can we expect to be called Christians and people know that that means we follow Christ, if we actually believe that deporting great swathes of God's children for what ever reason is the 'only way' any country can be saved?

And in truth who cares about the salvation of a 'country' ( any country) any way? When Jesus returns there will be no more nationalities or religions or anything else we men have constructed to exclude other people from whatever it is we are trying to protect for our own benefits.

As Christians we are called to be like Christ, and he chose to be itinerant, unmarried, and kept company with all of the down trodden and outcast of his society. Where do you suppose Jesus would be found if He were walking the eart today? Probably among those very people that would be on that list of mass deportees!
                        Comment>

Originally posted by faramir.pete View Post
                          Well I am truly astonished, I was always told that The USA was a land of tolerance and freedom, it seems that as time has passed that has changed.

How exactly can we expect to be called Christians and people know that that means we follow Christ, if we actually believe that deporting great swathes of God's children for what ever reason is the 'only way' any country can be saved?

And in truth who cares about the salvation of a 'country' ( any country) any way? When Jesus returns there will be no more nationalities or religions or anything else we men have constructed to exclude other people from whatever it is we are trying to protect for our own benefits.

As Christians we are called to be like Christ, and he chose to be itinerant, unmarried, and kept company with all of the down trodden and outcast of his society. Where do you suppose Jesus would be found if He were walking the eart today? Probably among those very people that would be on that list of mass deportees!

There's such a thing as 'tolerating' Too much. People are to be in this -- or Any country Legally. It's not whether a person is a child of God or not -- are they obeying the laws of this country.

Well -- what about God's requirements to get into heaven? You do it His way or you won't be there. He doesn't let just anyone into heaven.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D.

There's such a thing as 'tolerating' Too much. People are to be in this -- or Any country Legally. It's not whether a person is a child of God or not -- are they obeying the laws of this country.

Well -- what about God's requirements to get into heaven? You do it His way or you won't be there. He doesn't let just anyone into heaven.
                            Sue I am not sure that is what this topic is about. But perhaps I have misunderstood. The title is that mass deportation is the only way to save the USA ( I have paraphrased). So what I am concerned about is why the legalities are relevant at all to the salvation of the Country, which in my understanding is a nonsense in any case as countries do not have personality or a soul or whatever to 'save' in any case.

If you are discussing legalities then you ae in the realm of politics not salvation and while one informs the other, they ae not synonymous.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by faramir.pete View Post
                              The title is that mass deportation is the only way to save the USA
                              If you read the whole article carefully you will find that the author isn't advocating literal deportation.
                              Clyde Herrin's Blog
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap