View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

United Airlines Debacle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Airlines Debacle

In case you missed it, a few days ago a passenger was dragged off a United Airlines flight because they would not give up their seat for a crew member that needed to get to their connection and thus work on the next leg of the flight. This was happening because the flight was overbooked, and they needed to make room for the crew members.

Now there is a lot, apparently, that I am unaware of concerning the entire situation; however, from the little that I do know there was a lot that was handled very poorly on all sides.

If the airline knew the flight was overbooked ahead of time and needed to find seats for these crew members they should have made announcement at the gate asking if there were any passengers who were willing to give up their seat and be bumped to a later flight (presumably with some sort of compensation for the inconvenience). Obviously, I don't know if this actually happened at that stage.

Now of course this would be completely voluntary and I can't imagine there weren't four people on that entire flight that would not have been willing to be bumped.

Now since they possibly waited to make room for these crew members until after the plane was boarded by the passengers, they should have still put it to a voluntary vote.

Somehow I get the impression quite a bit went wrong which led to what actually happened, including how a grown made pitched a nuclear fit because he did not want to give up his seat.

Quite honestly, I think there was a long wrong on both sides of this, and United Airlines is really catching the brunt of it.

If anyone knows any more about this situation please feel free to share. But this is certainly something we can learn some lesson from.

I just not in agreement with this airline wanting to bump passengers to make way for crew members. In many instances, catching a particular to somewhere is very crucial to a passenger because it may be a matter of preserving their livelihood. How can a flight be deemed overbooked when all on board are seated and the requirement is to make way for crew members? The passenger entered into a contract with the airline to take them to an agreed location at a particular time so in this instance isn't a breach of contract? It's not the passenger's fault that this situation has arisen. The passenger has rightly taken his or her seat, the airline should go find other means for accommodating the crew members!
    Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
      Quite honestly, I think there was a long wrong on both sides of this, and United Airlines is really catching the brunt of it.
      Me too.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Well, Last week I missed two flights due to delays, missed connecting flights, all because of storms. I was in AZ two extra days (visiting family). My brother passed away from cancer. The delay was actually good as I was able to spend more time with my 94 year old mother. However, because it was Spring Break, all flights on Delta were booked. One agent found a flight with an open seat. But it was first class. I was actually in the check in line trying to deal with my second canceled flight. Even though they normally don't just put a coach passenger in a first class seat, the agent put me in. She knew I'd been delayed for two days but so had others. She had no idea the burden she lifted from me. I then told her why I was there and thanked her for her kindness and care. I flew home, straight through, first class. A nice end to a difficult week.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Papa Zoom View Post
          Well, Last week I missed two flights due to delays, missed connecting flights, all because of storms. I was in AZ two extra days (visiting family). My brother passed away from cancer. The delay was actually good as I was able to spend more time with my 94 year old mother. However, because it was Spring Break, all flights on Delta were booked. One agent found a flight with an open seat. But it was first class. I was actually in the check in line trying to deal with my second canceled flight. Even though they normally don't just put a coach passenger in a first class seat, the agent put me in. She knew I'd been delayed for two days but so had others. She had no idea the burden she lifted from me. I then told her why I was there and thanked her for her kindness and care. I flew home, straight through, first class. A nice end to a difficult week.
          My belated condolences Papa Zoom.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

I don't see what the man did wrong to be honest. He was a doctor and needed to be on that flight in order to get to his patients in the morning. How would you feel if you needed your doctor for something important but he was delayed because of a lack of seats on a plane? I think the way United Airlines managed it was awful, calling in airport security was just a bit mistake in my opinion. He wasn't going to fight the staff so why was there any need for force? They should have just kept upping the money being offered to take a different flight and I'm sure four people would have eventually accepted that. The funny thing is that this is going to cost them tens of millions in terms of lost customers and the lawsuit but it would have just cost them under $500 to get those four staff members a taxi.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post

If anyone knows any more about this situation please feel free to share. But this is certainly something we can learn some lesson from.
              After Munez, the United CEO, admitted in front of a press conference that Dr Dao (the removed passenger) did nothing wrong so that pretty much settles where the fault lies.

There are videos of the event that have aired over here, and they seem pretty obvious that the fault was on United's side. The airline didn't offer the maximum compensation to get volunteers, and the flight wasn't overbooked (too many paying customers all of whom had an equal right to the seat) the extra passengers were non-paying crewmembers from a partner airline who could have been on any flight, or been driven.

Since the passenger, Dr Dao, only got out of hospital on Tuesday, I think that speaks for itself as excessive force. The fact they immediately changed the policy, and three police officers have been suspended (the police claimed he fell, the witnesses and video contradict this), does indicate something in that procedure was completely wrong. More concerningly, more cases of similar events are now surfacing.

His lawyer's statement is worth watching:

Comment>

I'll be back to watch the video of the lawyer when I have a bit more time. I agree with your post though, ChatterBox. I think the whole thing was mishandled, to put it mildly. That poor man.

I can't believe that people aren't more outraged about this. I'm not generally a "sue them!" kind of person, but in this case, oh yeah. I'd sue the heck out of them. I wonder if any criminal charges will also be pursued. Looks like assault and battery to me.

It's already difficult enough to fly, what with the "security" and overbooking. I honestly have no interest in air travel any more, especially after this.
                Last edited by thisnthat; 05-05-2017, 07:15 AM.
                Comment>

I saw the video of how the elderly man was been forced out of his seat and dragged away. To be frank I think the airline is very wrong, in business there is the saying customers are always right. If he refuses to let out his seat that shouldn't result to that degree of assault. Why not go to other passengers to request same maybe a younger agile passenger on that flight would have agreed to give out his seat. That man is old and would need his seat for the flight.
                  Comment>

United Airlines also have other controversies that happened on the same week with the poor doctor they beaten up. On another flight a passenger got bitten by a scorpion! Yes a scorpion is found inside a United Airline passenger plane. There is also this 94 year old grandmother who is booked to fly first class, she got forced to transfer to economy and she is not given a refund. If you will read passenger reviews of United, there are complaints about rude employees.
                    Comment>

Saw a pretty funny meme on my Facebook this morning:

Click image for larger version

Name:	18193424_1020675964729193_8052534593647020162_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	37751

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

I think this is unfair and the passengers should be well informed before itself. This is happening in a lot of places and I don' know what happened to these guys. Thanks for sharing.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap