View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Lesbian couple hired to co-pastor D.C. church

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lesbian couple hired to co-pastor D.C. church

    A historic church in the heart of the nation’s capital has hired a married lesbian couple as co-pastors.

    Calvary Baptist Church in northwest D.C. announced the hiring of Sally Sarratt and Maria Swearingen on Jan. 8 during morning worship, where they were approved by the congregation.

    “We have found it so easy to fall in love with Calvary and its longstanding commitment to be a voice of justice and compassion for those who perpetually find the wholeness of their humanity disregarded and maligned,” the pastors said in a press release issued by the church.

    The progressive church severed its ties with the Southern Baptist Convention in 2012 over, among other things, the denomination’s opposition to same-sex marriage and the ordination of gay and lesbian clergy. It is an affiliate of American Baptist Churches USA.

  • #2
    So much for the Bible where they're concerned!
    Comment>

    • #3
      Well, at least that church are upfront with their beliefs and practicing what they preach, so anyone who goes there knows what they are getting into. Those who do not agree or prefer more traditional presentations of the faith can find another church, but given Calvary's history of pushing the bounds - it has been a progressive church for 150 years - I suspect there won't be many.

      Looking on the bright side, they are married, so that's one good example to the flock, they were both ordained at the same church, so they aren't likely to conflict in their duties, and it is an interesting move from one pastor to two co-pastors, which I don't think this church has done before. If the duties or size of the congregation have expanded it might be needed.

      (I keep wanting to make a crass comment about the alter boys being safe, and feeling very guilty.)
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
        Looking on the bright side, they are married, so that's one good example to the flock, they were both ordained at the same church, so they aren't likely to conflict in their duties, and it is an interesting move from one pastor to two co-pastors, which I don't think this church has done before. If the duties or size of the congregation have expanded it might be needed.
        Biblically speaking, they are not married, and it is not a good example because the union goes against the biblical outline of a marriage being between one man and woman, neither of them are ordained from a Scriptural standpoint, and they most certainly are not pastors.

        I question whether they are actually a church, but rather a non profit organization or book club. To say the least the entire congregation that voted them into office are apostate.

        God bless,
        William
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
          Well, at least that church are upfront with their beliefs and practicing what they preach, so anyone who goes there knows what they are getting into. Those who do not agree or prefer more traditional presentations of the faith can find another church, but given Calvary's history of pushing the bounds - it has been a progressive church for 150 years - I suspect there won't be many.

          Looking on the bright side, they are married, so that's one good example to the flock, they were both ordained at the same church, so they aren't likely to conflict in their duties, and it is an interesting move from one pastor to two co-pastors, which I don't think this church has done before. If the duties or size of the congregation have expanded it might be needed.

          (I keep wanting to make a crass comment about the alter boys being safe, and feeling very guilty.)
          Optimism can be a helpful trait, but there is nothing good that can be said about this situation.

          Detestable and vile sin is not progressive.

          Two women is not marriage.

          Lastly, it is not a church.

          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
            Optimism can be a helpful trait, but there is nothing good that can be said about this situation.
            It makes the separation between Light and Dark that much clearer. It is not a church lurking in the grey areas of the Southern Baptists!
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
              (I keep wanting to make a crass comment about the alter boys being safe, and feeling very guilty.)
              I like your style. That was hilarious! [We need a ROFL emoji]
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap