View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

California Decriminalizes Child Prostitution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Decriminalizes Child Prostitution

Yes, you read that title correctly because California Has Legalized Child Prostitution

Beginning on Jan. 1, prostitution by minors will be legal in California.
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon

There appears to be another side to the story. Snoops.com says:

WHAT'S TRUE: A California law passed in 2016 provides that minors involved in prostitution be treated as victims rather than criminals.

WHAT'S FALSE: It is still illegal for Californians to hire prostitutes (child or otherwise), and sex traffickers will still face consequences if they are caught prostituting children.​

So the man or woman who pays a child for sex still gets in trouble, but the child, as a "victim", does not face consequences and is free, therefore, to continue doing so until they are an adult (when they are once again moved from "victim" status back to "criminal" status for their acts of prostitution).

So, not as bad as I first thought. Hopefully there is some penalty for continued acts of prostitution as a "child/victim", but that was not made clear.

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

I just read the bill. There are no consequences for first-time OR repeat "victims" of child prostitution. Therefore, the child who chooses this kind of "work" is free to continue doing so until they turn 18, when trading sex for money will once again become a prosecutable offense if they decide to continue engaging in it.

Interesting new summer job choice for Californian minors :(

Comment>

I suppose they tied it into age of consent for convenience: since the minor, teenager or not, cannot consent to sex they can't legally consent to prostitution so they must always be the victim of an assault.

I believe the law was intended to target mostly at actual child prostitutes, say aged 4 to 10, and grooming gangs. Unfortunately that does happen, particularly to children in care who may have no family to look out for them. It assumes the child cannot make the decision for themselves, therefore the adults responsible are criminals but they are not. The other half of the law makes it easier for victims to testify against traffickers, with an increased age of anonymity and protection of their details. It also means that children like the Rotherham victims would not have prostitution on their record for life. Those were young teenagers groomed by extremely unscrupulous gangs.

It's not a good thing, but nothing about child abuse ever is.
        Comment>

Child sexual exploitation and human trafficking is such a huge problem around the world. I am currently using my computer science background to develop methodologies to track this activity online so people trapped in this form of slavery can be set free. It breaks my heart that it is happening at all, and especially that it is happening in my country. We have to pray for freedom for these kids and everyone else involved.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap