View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Why do we even have NASA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we even have NASA?

Sure, things got exciting from the 60's into the 80's when we were going to the moon and building space stations, but what really is the overall benefit of having a government run space agency? After all, we do not have a government run airline. As has been proven over and over again the private sector is able to do the same things the government does but cheaper and better. So, my real question is: why does our government continue to fund a department that is being overshadowed by private companies when the money used can be redirected to more important areas?

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
    Sure, things got exciting from the 60's into the 80's when we were going to the moon and building space stations, but what really is the overall benefit of having a government run space agency? After all, we do not have a government run airline. As has been proven over and over again the private sector is able to do the same things the government does but cheaper and better. So, my real question is: why does our government continue to fund a department that is being overshadowed by private companies when the money used can be redirected to more important areas?
    I can't imagine using private business for satellites etc because of national security. Just look at the recent news regarding private companies that have access to top security information. Recent news reported that one particular firm was selling the information.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

I can't imagine using private business for satellites etc because of national security. Just look at the recent news regarding private companies that have access to top security information. Recent news reported that one particular firm was selling the information.

God bless,
      William
      Most, if not all, satellites are designed and built by private companies. They just mostly launched by NASA, though there are now private companies getting into the launching business.
      Comment>

I share the same sentiments from the Government's perspective: Why National Security Needs Commercial Outer Space | RealClearFuture

What I think is rather amazing is the original idea that whoever won the space race with Russia could dominate the world. I guess only perspective has changed.

Speaking of satellites Russia was reported some time ago as possibly having a satellite killer in outer space. Point is, we don't know. How would we know if other nations or private companies all had the capability to launch freely into outer space?

Expert: Fears of Russian ‘satellite killer’ overblown | Fox News

Just as amazing to me is Russia's military technology. While ours has fallen apart these last 8 years Russia has made new. I think such a weapon to kill satellites would be awesome in blacking out the enemy.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

That would be the Star War that Reagan was talking about, yet never really imagined. Though, there is so much space junk swirling around this planet I am amazed we don't lose satellites on a pretty regular basis due to random collisions.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap