View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Evangelical Leaders Call on Trump to Step Aside from Election

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Evangelical Leaders Call on Trump to Step Aside from Election

    News about Donald Trump’s sexually inappropriate comments in a 2005 video have been everywhere on the internet in the past few days. Perhaps more than any other faux pas or inappropriate remark Trump has made, the sexually aggressive comments in the video in question have caused evangelicals to reconsider supporting Trump.

    Throughout the 2016 election cycle, Christians have argued their cases for being pro or anti-Trump. Thoughtful and well-meaning arguments have come from both sides, and while few seemed to be able to wholeheartedly get behind Trump, many made the case that he is the lesser of two evils, would appoint conservative justices to the Supreme Court, or would protect their religious freedom.

    But, with the recently released video of Trump talking about kissing women without their consent and using profane language to discuss his interaction with them, many evangelicals are feeling that Trump’s lack of morality poses a more serious threat than was perhaps previously supposed.

    In a scathing editorial for Christianity Today, Christian author Andy Crouch makes it clear that, “Evangelicals, of all people, should not be silent about Donald Trump’s blatant immorality.”

    Christian author and professor Denny Burk applauds Crouch’s article and Christianity Today for publishing it, despite its likeliness to generate controversy.

    In his blog post “Why More Evangelicals May Need to Follow CT’s Lead,” Burk calls on Christians to stand up for biblical morality, which in this case means refusing to support Donald Trump.

    Burk reminds us that, unfortunately, the media and secular culture will likely fail to distinguish between evangelicals who support Trump and those who don’t. Christians, therefore, need to be united and vocal in their condemnation of a candidate who, as Crouch’s article notes, is a perfect embodiment of the “earthly nature” the Bible talks about.

    “He has given no evidence of humility or dependence on others, let alone on God his Maker and Judge,” writes Crouch. “He wantonly celebrates strongmen and takes every opportunity to humiliate and demean the vulnerable. He shows no curiosity or capacity to learn. He is, in short, the very embodiment of what the Bible calls a fool.”

    Burk agrees with this assessment and calls on Christians not only to condemn Trump’s comments in the video, but to call out his behavior for what it is--immoral, inconsistent with Christian principles, and a disqualification from presidential candidacy.

    Burk is not calling on evangelicals to swing to the other extreme and endorse Hillary Clinton, which would be the other side of the lesser of two evils. In fact, he does not encourage Christians to vote for any party or person. He instead focuses on the impact a Trump endorsement will have on the Church beyond this present election.

    Initially, only a few prominent Christian leaders pulled their support for Trump after the release of the video, perhaps the most notable of whom was theologian Wayne Grudem who had previously written an article on why voting for Trump was a morally good choice.

    Since then, as Burk notes, a few more leaders have spoken out and even called for Trump’s resignation. But Burk writes that evangelicals need to overwhelmingly condemn Trump’s comments and behavior and to call for a higher standard.

    [N]ow is the time to speak up,” Burk says. “What we say now will shape the public impressions of evangelical Christianity later. And conscientious evangelicals need to be heard.”

    Source: Evangelical Leaders Call on Trump to Step Aside from Election - Christian News Headlines

  • #2
    The problem is with the timing of when all of this is coming out. It is way too late in the election cycle to put someone else in as the nominee, especially since all of the ballots have been printed. At this point we just have to decide is what he said over 10 years ago so important that we not vote for him and allow Hillary to get into the White House. This really is choosing between the lesser of two evils. More so than in previous years. Hillary has so much bad in her past, and not just words, but action (or inactions in some cases) that has led to the death of individuals and ultimate detriment to this country.

    I cannot fathom this country even under one term with Hillary.
    Comment>

    • #3
      Originally posted by Knotical View Post
      At this point we just have to decide is what he said over 10 years ago so important that we not vote for him and allow Hillary to get into the White House.
      What he has said over 10 years ago is most consistent with what he said up till today. My wife's ballot came in the mail today, and there's a space to write in another candidate. Mine will arrive at a different address, I am still undecided whether to rip up the ballot or write someone else in.

      I'm thinking about writing in Ted Cruz and Carly Fiorina... . I remember all those nasty things Trump said about the physical appearance or lack of superficial beauty of Carly.

      Seemed just like yesterday when Conservatives boasted that only Democrat Presidents were surrounded in immoral scandals........

      God bless,
      William
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by William View Post

        What he has said over 10 years ago is most consistent with what he said up till today. My wife's ballot came in the mail today, and there's a space to write in another candidate. Mine will arrive at a different address, I am still undecided whether to rip up the ballot or write someone else in.

        I'm thinking about writing in Ted Cruz and Carly Fiorina... . I remember all those nasty things Trump said about the physical appearance or lack of superficial beauty of Carly.

        Seemed just like yesterday when Conservatives boasted that only Democrats Presidents were surrounded in immoral scandals........

        God bless,
        William
        I could not, as a Christian, support a woman for president (even putting Hillary's atrocities aside), so I would not be even considering Fiorina.

        Personally, I would write in Ron or Rand Paul if it were to go that route. It is what I did last time when all we had to choose from was Romney.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by Knotical View Post

          I could not, as a Christian, support a woman for president (even putting Hillary's atrocities aside), so I would not be even considering Fiorina.

          Personally, I would write in Ron or Rand Paul if it were to go that route. It is what I did last time when all we had to choose from was Romney.
          That is exactly why I am debating to rip up the ballot. Putting Carly in place of Vice President votes her as President should something happen.

          Glad you shared and reinforced my sentiments.

          God bless,
          William
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by William View Post

            That is exactly why I am debating to rip up the ballot. Putting Carly in place of Vice President votes her in to President should something happen.

            Glad you shared and reinforced my sentiments.

            God bless,
            William
            Not entirely, as I would not even want a woman as the vice president. I feel anyone in leadership should follow the requirements the bible lays out for an elder of the church.

            I could just write in Rand Paul, with Ted Cruz as his VP.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Knotical View Post

              Not entirely, as I would not even want a woman as the vice president. I feel anyone in leadership should follow the requirements the bible lays out for an elder of the church.

              I could just write in Rand Paul, with Ted Cruz as his VP.
              Thanks! I was only thinking of entering into the ballot the pair of candidates that were decided (Ted picked Carly), not mixing my own picks.

              I'll have to think about this some more, before I shred the ballot. But I guess, since I can enter anyone in (including Mickey Mouse) I should at least vote.

              God bless,
              William
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by William View Post

                Thanks! I was only thinking of entering into the ballot the pair of candidates that were decided (Ted picked Carly), not mixing my own picks.

                I'll have to think about this some more, before I shred the ballot. But I guess, since I can enter anyone in (including Mickey Mouse) I should at least vote.

                God bless,
                William
                Ah, I must have forgotten who he had chosen as his running mate. That really would have made me decide against him had he gotten the nomination.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                  I could not, as a Christian, support a woman for president
                  Why not? The Bible only forbids women from having leadership positions in the church. One of the judges of Israel was a woman.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                    Why not? The Bible only forbids women from having leadership positions in the church. One of the judges of Israel was a woman.
                    We should always look to biblical example even when considering individuals for public (secular office). Yes there was a woman judge, but remember she was called to that position during a time when there were, arguably, no men available or willing to fill that role.

                    When it comes to choosing someone for public office the only time I ever vote for a woman is when there are only women running for the position, and then I will choose the more conservative of the two.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by William View Post

                      Thanks! I was only thinking of entering into the ballot the pair of candidates that were decided (Ted picked Carly), not mixing my own picks.

                      I'll have to think about this some more, before I shred the ballot. But I guess, since I can enter anyone in (including Mickey Mouse) I should at least vote.

                      God bless,
                      William
                      Actually, not Mickey Mouse. They outlawed fictional Characters as write in candidates when Mickey started getting close to appearing on the results polls.
                      (I have no idea how they would enforce that law. Maybe it just prevents Mickey from winning. I bet he could even beat a Trump-Clinton combined ticket.)
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                        They outlawed fictional Characters as write in candidates when Mickey started getting close to appearing on the results polls.
                        Lets not think about that too deeply! :D

                        God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                          Yes there was a woman judge, but remember she was called to that position during a time when there were, arguably, no men available or willing to fill that role.
                          How do you know this was the case? I don't recall ever reading anything like this in the Bible.
                          Clyde Herrin's Blog
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                            How do you know this was the case? I don't recall ever reading anything like this in the Bible.
                            What conclusion would you come to when all of the other prophets and judges in the bible were men?
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              The counsel of Jethro and the subsequent call to the people of Israel by Moses was for judges who were "able men" (Exodus 18:13-27). I believe Moses' particular choice of words (see v21, 25), "able (chayil)" + "men" (iysh), leaves no doubt that men alone were in view here as candidates to become Israel's new "judges" (not mankind in general, which would have included women as well).
                              Last edited by David Lee; 10-15-2016, 03:25 PM.
                              Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

                              "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

                              "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

                              "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

                              "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap