View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Trump May be Speeding Up Evangelical Break with GOP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump May be Speeding Up Evangelical Break with GOP

In an election year that has been far from usual, many are speculating that Republican candidate Donald Trump is accelerating the split between evangelicals and the rest of the GOP constituency.

Denny Burk writes in a blog post that “The apparent break-up with the GOP is but one sign of a larger conflict that evangelical Christians are facing in post-Christian America. As we move from “moral majority” to prophetic minority, we are feeling more uneasy in Babylon. That is not altogether a bad thing. Christianity’s contrast with the world is becoming more evident and will compel us to theological clarity. And that is happening now.”

Burk also adds a 10-minute Yahoo News video to his post. In the video, a number of evangelicals share their dilemma this election cycle. Many say they don’t want to vote for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, but many also express serious doubts about Trump.

The video discusses how, in the 1970’s and ‘80’s, leaders such as Jerry Falwell Sr., Chuck Colson, Pat Robertson, and James Dobson led the Moral Majority, but now politics have shifted and even Falwell’s son, Jerry Falwell Jr., is an avid Trump supporter.

But many Christians are not on board with the kind of brand of conservatism Trump represents.

Some, like Russell Moore, president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, is fiercely against Trump, and believes this election may make it necessary for Christians to further separate their faith from their politics.

“Christianity does not belong to conservative politics and to the right,” states pastor and former NFL player Léonce Crump in the video. “There is no party that’s going to capture the true essence of biblical Christianity.”

Source: Trump May be Speeding Up Evangelical Break with GOP - Christian News Headlines

In my opinion Trump is done. That recording of him boasting of kissing and groping women is the final nail in his coffin.
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      “There is no party that’s going to capture the true essence of biblical Christianity.”
      At this point in time, I couldn't agree more.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
        In my opinion Trump is done. That recording of him boasting of kissing and groping women is the final nail in his coffin.
        The best thing that could happen for America/GOP is for Trump to step down and let Pence run at the top of the GOP.

Trump says zero chance that is going to happen.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

We still have a promised scandal for Hillary and her hacked e-mails.

At first I was just joking that we needed a constitutional convention so we could declair this experiment in self-government a failure and restore the monarchy ... now, that's looking like an increasingly preferable idea. I mean, out of 300 million Americans, these are the two best choices?

... Prince Charles for King! ;)
          Comment>

“Christianity does not belong to conservative politics and to the right,” states pastor and former NFL player Léonce Crump in the video. “There is no party that’s going to capture the true essence of biblical Christianity.”
            I believe it was T.D. Jakes who once gave a sermon that, to my surprise, made a point that I agreed with. He asked how many teams were on a football field during a game? The answer is three. There is the home team, the visiting team and the team wearing the shirts with the horizontal stripes. The referees are not there to show allegiance to either team, but to the rules of the game and the higher authority that placed them there. The referees can go anywhere on the field they wish. They are not bound to the rules of the team.

He said politics is like that. The Democrats are one team and the Republicans are the other team and we think that we should be loyal to one team or the other. The fact is, we are more like the referees. We belong to a third team. God's team. If a Democrat is doing what God commands, then we should support them because that is what OUR Higher Authority wants from us and sent us here to do. If a Republican is doing the will of God then we should support them. If both are doing the will of God then we should support both. If neither person is doing the will of God, then we should be supporting the will of God.

Our loyalty is to Jesus Christ, not to either party or any position. To the extent that the government aligns itself with the word and the will of Jesus, it should have our support. To the extent that it does not, it should not have our support.

Those words were from several elections ago, but have NEVER felt more true.
            Who would have expected wisdom from T.D. Jakes?
            Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
              Who would have expected wisdom from T.D. Jakes?
              Not me. And I wouldn't be caught dead voting for Hillary, Trump, or quoting T.D. Jakes :eek:
              • Exodus 18:21 Moreover, look for able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens.

1. Leaders should be men.
              2. Leaders should be God-fearing.
              3. Leaders have to be men of truth.
              4. Leaders must not be greedy.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Not me. And I wouldn't be caught dead voting for Hillary, Trump, or quoting T.D. Jakes :eek:
                • Exodus 18:21 Moreover, look for able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens.

1. Leaders should be men.
                2. Leaders should be God-fearing.
                3. Leaders have to be men of truth.
                4. Leaders must not be greedy.

God bless,
                William
                So have you voted for a Presidential Candidate since Ronald Reagan? ;)
                (I think that was the last time I voted without holding my nose.)

... and TD said what Denny Burk is saying back when the second Bush was running for president. (Just giving credit where it is due ... even a broken clock is right twice a day.)
                Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                  So have you voted for a Presidential Candidate since Ronald Reagan?
                  Nope.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

This was all so well-played by the most seasoned professionals in politics, which certainly includes the Clintons (perhaps first and foremost). She (and/or whoever is behind her ideologically) seems very much like the Dark Lord of the Sith from Star Wars to me as she/they manipulate the entire country, bend the majority of our collective our wills to theirs, and turn it from the founders' vision of a Republic, free from the oppression of a tyrannical government, into an Empire that will begin to rule over every aspect of our lives with an iron first.

I'm not for a split second liking any part of this personally (in fact, it makes me sick to think about it being a reality), but from a purely theoretical POV, what they have all but finished accomplishing here is simply astounding. We all were played, Republican and Democrat alike (speaking of the rank and file, of course) as these master manipulators have shown themselves to be "equal opportunity" oppressors. White, black, yellow, and red, young & old, rich or poor or neither, we ALL fell for it, and now we'll all have to live with it and under it.

Absolutely AMAZING!!

Part of the good news for us Christians is this however: the ruler of this world has already lost the battle! And while he clearly remains a very real problem for us in a sense, the other piece of good news to keep in mind is that of the Lord's continual ability to turn whatever Satan intends as harm towards the Elect into great good instead :)
                    Last edited by David Lee; 10-10-2016, 09:57 AM.
                    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                    Comment>

God bless,
                      William
                      Of the three options, quoting T.D. Jakes is by far the worst.

Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

Of the three options, quoting T.D. Jakes is by far the worst.
                        :)
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap