View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

This is really just ridiculous.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is really just ridiculous.

A local business that has been steadily growing is being plagued by a disabled individual who apparently will go into a business and pretty much look for anything they are able to sue over. This kind of opportunism should be illegal.

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
    A local business that has been steadily growing is being plagued by a disabled individual who apparently will go into a business and pretty much look for anything they are able to sue over. This kind of opportunism should be illegal.
    It is a sad state of affairs.
    Comment>

A bad economy turn scam artist into vultures. It's obvious that the handicapped guy is taking advantage to press his fifth suit against a business. At some point, the laws need to be changed. A business in an old building can't afford to reconstruct a ramp and parking for one handicapped person. I'm sure if he was serious about the food, he could order take-out and ask for them to bring it to his car door and just pay in cash. I know this lady that lives near me who is in BN and takes pictures to use for lawsuit she's building against the company because she fell and got no sympathy from the manager. But it's hard not to note that she's living off Social Security and it's not much. You should be able to make one of those lawsuits a year and only after you prove that the restaurant invonveniences more than just yourself.
      Comment>

My question, how did the guy become handicapped? Does anyone think that if this guy was handicapped due to negligence by another, and him now going after others that cause similar incidents noble?

I mean if a guy was partying over someone's house out on the back deck, and deck collapsed and handicapped him... and he took upon himself the job of inspector or saw to it himself to find fault to prevent such incidents....

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
          A bad economy turn scam artist into vultures. It's obvious that the handicapped guy is taking advantage to press his fifth suit against a business. At some point, the laws need to be changed. A business in an old building can't afford to reconstruct a ramp and parking for one handicapped person. I'm sure if he was serious about the food, he could order take-out and ask for them to bring it to his car door and just pay in cash. I know this lady that lives near me who is in BN and takes pictures to use for lawsuit she's building against the company because she fell and got no sympathy from the manager. But it's hard not to note that she's living off Social Security and it's not much. You should be able to make one of those lawsuits a year and only after you prove that the restaurant invonveniences more than just yourself.
          When it comes to the building it is incumbent on the owner to make sure the right amenities are in place to cater to anyone who may be handicapped, which is why this guy is not just going after the business, but the building owner as well.

It does kind of grate on me when you see something like this happen. The business in question, as referenced in the article, moved their current location earlier this year after spending years building a following working out of what used to be a small corner gas station. I thought it was awesome that this guy was able to get into a larger space so he could accommodate more customers at a time. It sucks that you have these kinds of parasites who pray on small businesses by suing them rather than taking it up with the management to look into a fix. This is just going to make it more difficult for the business to operate. I just hope they are able to weather this and move forward.
          Comment>

I work in commercial land development (Architecture, Civil Engineering, Land Planning) and, unfortunately it cuts both ways. The business owner will ask "Is is required by law?" and if it is not REQUIRED, then they do not want to do it. I have some clients who weigh the cost of the fine vs compliance on some issues and decide based on maximum profitability. "Build it without a permit and we will pay the fine."

At the other extreme, Hotels are removing Hot Tubs because Law Firms call asking if they have a pool and a hot tub, and do you have a HC lift for each one? If the answer is no, you get a lawsuit in the morning and the firm get's a fee. It either costs too much for TWO HC lifts or there simply isn't room for two on the existing Hot Tub and Pool so one of them has to go. After a few lawsuits, the chain pulls Hot Tubs from all its locations and installs lifts on the pool.

It isn't right or fair, but it is a fallen world.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap