View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

The Sin Of Nice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sin Of Nice

Original Article: The Sin Of Nice

I was reading this and I found it interesting. When you grow up, everyone tells you to be nice and considerate of others. But this shows how evil people are using 'nice' to hide behind where they can use your good sense and compassionate nature against you. I think there needs to be a revolution were people aren't just good but just. All these people who use 'nice' to make you a bigot or racist unless you conform to their ideas.

That really is the problem. Unless you are always "nice" you are then seen as being judgemental, and no one in this world wants to be judged.
    Comment>

Be kind to everyone but don't let them take advantage of you. But Christians are supposed to be nicer than everyone else. We must be Perfect as our Father in heaven is Perfect. That's what Jesus expects from us. If being nice demands that you "see no evil" nor stand up against it then that's where the line must drawn.
      Comment>

Was Jesus being nice when he drove the money changers and merchants out of the temple? We must model our lives on him, not on the world's standards of niceness.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

I believe a lot of people mix "nice" and "love" up. You can be nice and not love someone, and you can love someone while not being nice. I have always found it interesting that so many people desire that we all have open minds until we disagree with the original viewpoint presented...then as mentioned, we are labeled as bigots.

But I digress. I do not think we always have to be "nice", necessarily, but I do believe that we have been charged to love others. We live in such a broken world, full of hurting people. We do not have to change our standards, our beliefs or our way of life to love other people. I think that is so often what is missing from the equation in the reflection of the lifestyle of people who say they love God - we leave that element out of it all too easily.
          Comment>

I feel there is a societal definition of "nice" that basically fits the same definition of "weak" or "pushover". This is not the situation. You can be nice to someone without compromising your morals. To me, being nice to someone means treating them with the respect that they deserve as another human that was made from God. The secular world likes to label people as bigots who don't fit into the acceptance of what society deems appropriate. In one of my college classes, my professor stated that many people have said that "We are entering an age of tolerance" and wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on the matter. I argued that we are not entering an age of tolerance, as tolerance means acceptance of everyone. We have merely flipped our intolerance from what it was in the 1950's. Now, you are deemed as a bigot, sexist, etc. if you are not professing the "popular" beliefs of the time. Being nice falls into the same type of situation for me. Nice does not mean you have to complacently agree with the masses, but rather you have to argue with them respectfully and treat them with the respect they deserve. Our opinions stem from the teachings of the Bible, while their opinions stem from what pop culture deems important.
            Comment>

Well this is really nothing new, is it. I always thought that the whole "last guy finishes last" thing was pretty commonly understood. Maybe it is just the thing that comes to someone after years of hard work though, when they feel like they have not been rewarded enough. Chances are you will feel this way, but the key is to not let it get you. Do not let it make you think that you should not be nice. Never let them win. God knows who is nice and you will be rewarded.
              Comment>

Originally posted by EntropiaAddict View Post
                I feel there is a societal definition of "nice" that basically fits the same definition of "weak" or "pushover". This is not the situation. You can be nice to someone without compromising your morals. To me, being nice to someone means treating them with the respect that they deserve as another human that was made from God. The secular world likes to label people as bigots who don't fit into the acceptance of what society deems appropriate. In one of my college classes, my professor stated that many people have said that "We are entering an age of tolerance" and wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on the matter. I argued that we are not entering an age of tolerance, as tolerance means acceptance of everyone. We have merely flipped our intolerance from what it was in the 1950's. Now, you are deemed as a bigot, sexist, etc. if you are not professing the "popular" beliefs of the time. Being nice falls into the same type of situation for me. Nice does not mean you have to complacently agree with the masses, but rather you have to argue with them respectfully and treat them with the respect they deserve. Our opinions stem from the teachings of the Bible, while their opinions stem from what pop culture deems important.
                I remember hearing a message in church some time ago in which the speaker used a visual aid of what looked like two of those height measuring devices from a doctors office. One was labeled "God" and the other "World". The worlds standards slid up and down, reaching different highs and lows, but God's never faltered.

A third bar was brought in to demonstrate believers. And how it often would slide with the world's to be just a bit higher. But God's never changed...so why does ours so much?

For me, this coincides with the concept of nice because you are right, it is not a weakness. I think respect was the key word you used. We can see so much change, and not bend to it, but still approach others with respect. I think the cliche about catching flies with honey works as well.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap