View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Trump to Pastors: ‘This Election May be the Only Way I’m Getting into Heaven’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump to Pastors: ‘This Election May be the Only Way I’m Getting into Heaven’

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has concentrated a good deal of effort in winning over evangelicals, but despite his assertions that he is a Christian, he often says things that are contrary to Christian beliefs.

CharismaNews.com reports that recently, Trump spoke to a group of evangelical pastors and told them that what he does if he is elected as president may be what gets him into heaven.

“This will be maybe the most important election that our country has ever had," Trump told the pastors. "So go out and spread the word, and once I get in, I will do my thing that I do very well. And I figure it's probably maybe the only way I'm going to get to heaven. So I better do a good job. OK?"

A number of Trump’s high-profile supporters--including Liberty University Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. and megachurch pastor Robert Jeffress--would likely disagree with Trump’s theology in this statement that works can earn someone a place in heaven.

Trump has made other religious gaffes in the past, such as stating that he has never asked for forgiveness, although he later amended this and said, "I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won't have to be asking for much forgiveness."

In his meeting with the pastors, Trump also praised their spiritual role:

"As I'm driving over here, and I said, 'In a way, you're home builders too. But you're home builders with the spirit. You're spiritual home builders, which is actually more important when you think about it.'"

Source: Trump to Pastors: ‘This Election May be the Only Way I’m Getting into Heaven’ - Christian News Headlines

It is my opinion that Trump has, at best, only a rudimentary understanding of Christianity.
    Comment>

Everyone who wants to be president must claim to be Christian in order for them to win an election. At one time adventists claimed Catholics would outnumber evangelicals and would get to elect a "Catholic president" forever. Conspiracy theories. I suppose though there are many like Trump who think works are what will get them to heaven but the Lord says, . . . I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.
      Comment>

lI think it is quite clear that Trump isn't a Christian but then neither is Hillary.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Well, the fact that Trump believes that his works while president will be his road to Heaven states right off the bat that he is not familiar with the teachings of the Bible. However, as theophilus said, while it is clear that Trump isn't a Christian, it is equally clear that neither is Hillary. However, then we run into the added problem of Trump claiming to be a Christian, which is the type of person we are warned about avoiding in the Bible. This leads to added issues for me (and others I'm sure) since I prefer Trump very slightly over Hillary as the presidential candidate. While I feel that both of them will be detrimental to the Unites States, I can't shake the feeling that Trump will do less long-term harm than Hillary and having another Democrat in office. This is nothing personal against Democrats, I personally feel that we need to swap between Democrats and Republicans every 10 years or so to avoid the country going to far out in either direction. Bouncing back and forth between the two when they constantly try and counter-act what the other has done helps keep the United States in the middle ground of moderation.
          Comment>

He's just pandering to his audience the same way Hillary panders to her. None of it is real, he would say the same type thing to whatever crowd he is in to get their votes, its all for show, its not real.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap