View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Is this who they were talking about?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this who they were talking about?

Long before the RNC there have been rumors swirling that if Trump got the nomination the Republican establishment would try to pull a fast one and endorse another. Could this be that person?

We're exactly 3 months away from the general election today, so the most McMullin could hope to do is to help guarantee Hillary's presidency. Steven Colbert used the phrase,"Death, Taxes, and Hillary", in one of his recent skits, and McMullin, running as a 3rd party candidate against Trump, should help insure that his prediction will come to pass.

Hillary and her campaign must be thrilled (and they should be very thankful for McMullin's help)!
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

It may be true that he could draw some republican voters his way, but that lady running for the Green Party may be pulling many of the disgruntled Bernie supporters away from Hillary. This could just make the playing field that much more even, assuming that is that he could attract any kind of significant following. I am not sure, but it may be too late for him to get on all the ballots, which means if people in each state actually wanted to vote for him they may need to write him in.
      Comment>

It's too late for Republicans to field another candidate. And as at now there aren't many people who know McMullin. A lot of ads could change that but three months isn't enough time to convince people to vote for you. The next president will be either Trump or Hillary. As Sanders did alienate some of his supporters when he endorsed Clinton, I think there'll be many Democrats sitting out this election. So even if McMullin gets some conservatives to vote for him, the scales would still be well-balanced.
        Comment>

Republicans threw so many other options to counter Trump and failed to get one to stick. I doubt anyone they present in the last three months could take him down along without giving Hilary the presidency. At this point, the smartest thing they could do is think like a businessperson and appeal to that side of him. It wouldn't be that hard as long as they were reasonable.
          Comment>

Well I am not sure, but either way, isn't a little late in the game for them to expect someone else to come in and run? I am not one hundred percent sure on the rules of elections and what introducing another candidate means, but I do know that other people do know this stuff and all I am hearing in the news is them having the same questions, so I am not really sure what to make of this. This is certainly an interesting election, and it looks like we are in store for more interesting things to happen. Should be fun to watch. Thanks for sharing.
            Comment>

Even though it is not very likely that any independent candidate could run for the presidency and actually win it, it is entirely possible that they can pull enough votes away from both Trump and Hillary that neither one of them gets the required amount of electoral votes to be called the winner.
              This could easily be done if the independent votes draw enough from both main parties, and the race is otherwise close, so that the electoral votes are pretty evenly divided between Clinton and Trump.
              Should this happen, then the House of Representatives will get to choose a person for president, and it could be one of the other contenders, or someone completely different.
              Several months ago, the Ohio Governor, John Kasich, was bragging that he would be president, whether we liked him or not, and this could actually happen if there is a close race and not enough electoral votes, and the House appoints someone to be president.
              Another even more worrisome possibility, is that they keep escalating the racial riots and tension across the country, and Obama just declares martial law and stops the election completely. To be truthful, this is looking more and more like a possiibility every day now ! !
              Comment>

Originally posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
                Even though it is not very likely that any independent candidate could run for the presidency and actually win it, it is entirely possible that they can pull enough votes away from both Trump and Hillary that neither one of them gets the required amount of electoral votes to be called the winner.
                This could easily be done if the independent votes draw enough from both main parties, and the race is otherwise close, so that the electoral votes are pretty evenly divided between Clinton and Trump.
                Should this happen, then the House of Representatives will get to choose a person for president, and it could be one of the other contenders, or someone completely different.
                Several months ago, the Ohio Governor, John Kasich, was bragging that he would be president, whether we liked him or not, and this could actually happen if there is a close race and not enough electoral votes, and the House appoints someone to be president.
                Another even more worrisome possibility, is that they keep escalating the racial riots and tension across the country, and Obama just declares martial law and stops the election completely. To be truthful, this is looking more and more like a possiibility every day now ! !
                If it goes to the House to decide who is president it will end up being whomever the republican establishment wants in office. Which, if current events are anything to go by, it will end up being Hillary since many of them have abandoned Trump.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap