View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Transgender People to Openly Serve in the Armed Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transgender People to Openly Serve in the Armed Services

It was just reported that transgender individuals can now openly serve in the Armed Services. This seems like a sudden change and I can't help but wonder what impact it will have upon those in uniform. The New York Times has details here: Transgender People Will Be Allowed to Serve Openly in Military

Thoughts?

I guess that is one way to solve a problem. Not that I am condoning the idea in any way, but if they really want to head overseas and fight, by all means let them. Just don't be surprised about the level of harassment they will encounter. And not just from our military.
    Comment>

I am not real familiar with the Armed Forces or the culture of said. However, I have to wonder about morale for both cisgendered servicemen/women and transgendered folks. I guess time will tell. It does seem a trifle curious this coming up now with all the chaos overseas (e.g., ISIS, Russian aggression, etc.), but I suppose that is another topic.
      Comment>

Let them serve in the military. It's just more proof that we are living in the end times. As it was in the days of Noah . . . the earth was corrupt in the eyes of God. History does repeat itself. The same vileness that existed back then is creeping back and when God won't stand it anymore Jesus will be back for His elect.
        Comment>

Well, I'm not big on calling the End Times, but I hear you Smithee. Things do seem to be getting darker and more confused as the years roll on. The chaos surrounding homosexuality, transgenderism, etc., is a pretty good example of said.
          Comment>

I don't see anything wrong with Transgender people serving in the military. I think everyone should be able to serve, so long as they can follow the rules and are willing to put forth the effort. There really is nothing wrong with being Transgender. My heart goes out to the people that have to deal with this. I don't think someone would ever choose to be Transgender- it comes with so much hatred. I believe in spreading love and happiness, which means accepting others around me. If a Transgender man or woman wants to participate in the military, then good for them. I am proud to say that they are serving my country and making an effort that I am not willing to make. My heart goes out to our troops- regardless of their gender.
            Comment>

I'm not really familiar with the Armed Forces but if it's the same as in my home country, transgender people should be allowed to join the military, but let's not forget that there don't seem to be lots of women serving. In my country this is because we aren't allowed to serve (only as doctors and other jobs that have nothing to do with actual physical exercises) so why deal with the transgender problem before even dealing with an issue that affects the majority (which, even if this isn't super moral, is still the most relevant when it comes to a democracy.)
              Comment>

They can serve, but they should keep their sexual orientation to themselves. It's just like applying for a job. If you qualify physically and mentally, and past basic training, then you should graduate with your class of recruits. People that you work with everyday has skeletons in their closets. Those facts should stay there. Military should be the same. don't ask, don't tell.

There are a lot of bigotry in the Military and most of the recruits are still fresh out of High School that have yet to mature. So keep your secret under wraps.
                Comment>

In the early years I forsee problems with transgenders being beat up. We will not hear of this initially as in the sexual assault cases. There will be lag time between the event and someone speaking up about it.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by filmjunkie08 View Post
                    In the early years I forsee problems with transgenders being beat up. We will not hear of this initially as in the sexual assault cases. There will be lag time between the event and someone speaking up about it.
                    Oh trust me, they do get beaten up. Witnessed it first hand. The bigotry is uncontrollable and physical altercations happen all the time with recruits that don't pull their weight. There are a lot homosexuals that have gone through a military career and never told anyone about it until after retirement. So the whole "don't ask, don't tell" rule applies here.
                    Comment>

I think we should accept anyone who is willing to fight for our country and put their life at risk. What they do in private shouldn't even have anything to do with their eligibility to be soldiers. Just because one sees their sexual activity as a sin does not mean they should not allowed to do any good in other ways. That's like saying if you wear a fabric made of two different materials you shouldn't be allowed to volunteer at soup kitchens just because the first act is said to be a sin in the Bible. Anyway, God says not to judge others and just leave that up to him.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by joshuap View Post
                        They can serve, but they should keep their sexual orientation to themselves.
                        That may prove difficult in the case of those who are transgender. Some it is pretty obvious that the gender they identify with is not the same as their biology. Not all, of course, but it still may be difficult for many to fit in.
                        Comment>

I don't see an issue with it, it only becomes an issue if people make an issue out of it.
                          Comment>

If they can satisfy the requirements to be a soldier, then is should technically be fine. But I have to wonder about the safety of everyone considering most transgenders are on hormones that will ultimately affect their mind and body. It seems like a risk, what happens if their hormones are late or they can't get them, will they get sick? People should be allowed to serve as long as they don't endanger other people.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post

That may prove difficult in the case of those who are transgender. Some it is pretty obvious that the gender they identify with is not the same as their biology. Not all, of course, but it still may be difficult for many to fit in.
                              For those that enter the male side of boot camp, and they are flamboyantly gay, they will be beaten up on a daily basis, as most of the recruits are kids out of high school and love to pick on the odd person out. This is what happens in the USA military and I presume it's even worse in other countries.

As I said earlier, if you pretend to be straight and live your private life, very privately, you can get away with it. Many guys have done just that. Just go to work and don't be flamboyant.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap