View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

There's still hope for the Republican party! Trump might not get the nomination after all!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's still hope for the Republican party! Trump might not get the nomination after all!

One week ago, the Washington Post reported that dozens of Republican convention delegates had hatched “a new plan” to block a stumbling Donald Trump in Cleveland by adding a “conscience clause” to the convention’s rules.

As regular Unconventional readers know, there is a convincing case to be made — and in his new e-book Unbound,Rules Committee member Curly Haugland of North Dakota makes it — that Republican convention delegates are already technically free to nominate whomever they want in Cleveland, despite the impression that they are bound by the results of the primary votes in each state.

A conscience clause would make this freedom explicit by saying that every delegate is allowed to vote his or her conscience on the first ballot — even if state laws or party rules say otherwise.

At first, this new “Dump Trump” faction was fairly small. Roughly 30 delegates from 15 states participated in a conference call last Thursday night. Since then, however, the unlikely campaign appears to have picked up steam. A second conference call on Sunday night attracted a claimed 1,000 participants, and this week, both the RNC and Trump have begun to fight back with delegate strategies of their own.

The group that started all this commotion calls itself Free the Delegates. Its founder — and self-proclaimed “loudmouth” in chief — is Kendal Unruh. She is a history teacher, a born-again Christian, a Rules Committee member, and a former Ted Cruz supporter from Colorado. On Thursday, she hopped on the phone with Unconventional to discuss how Free the Delegates came together, why she is “anybody but Trump” — and what exactly she’s planning to do in Cleveland.

(Hint: If Unruh’s conscience clause dies, she has a Plan B. And a Plan C.)
    Unconventional #28: How this Colorado history teacher and 400 of her fellow delegates are planning to block Trump in Cleveland
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

If the Republican Party does not nominate the candidate that gains the majority of votes in the primary, they might as well nominate the Democratic Candidate and make it a one party race. The rank and file Republicans will be in such disarray that it will guarantee a Democratic landslide in November. To not nominate the person with the most votes is to tell every voter that their vote doesn't matter. If you hated Trump and wanted someone else, the place to stop him was at the primary vote, not the convention floor.
    Comment>

First of all, I would seriously question anything coming from the Washington Post. Second, there have been reports coming out for months that the Republican Party would do something underhanded at the convention to prevent Trump from getting the nomination. Third, if that does happen it would seriously cause the Republican Party to implode around the controversy. Lastly, should this happen it would most certainly open the door for a new major second party (Libertarian?) to take its place.

On the one hand I am hoping the leadership of the Republican Party are not stupid enough to pull something like this, while on the other I would not put it past them in the least. Next few weeks will be very interesting to say the least.
      Comment>

The job of reporters is to sell newspapers. This sells newspapers. I suspect that nothing unusual will hapen at the RNC. (or from BrExit for that matter).
        Comment>

This move would be suicidal for the Republican Party, it's a dumb move that would just propel their opponent(Hilary) to Presidency, while also causing serious problems within the party. Like atpollard said "This sells newspapers", It doesn't make sense for anyone with a brain.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Beardedfellow View Post
            It doesn't make sense for anyone with a brain.
            It also doesn't make sense to vote for either Trump or Hillary. At least now there is a chance there will be a candidate whom Christians can support.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              It also doesn't make sense to vote for either Trump or Hillary. At least now there is a chance there will be a candidate whom Christians can support.
              If you are referring to Johnson I would do a serious double-check on that. While I do agree with the Libertarian view that the government should stay out of our personal lives, he has expressed that he is pro-abortion.
              Comment>

If the Republican party gives the nomination to anyone else but Donald Trump they will further alienate their themselves from their voters. While Donald Trump may or may not end up being the worst Republican president, I give Nixon a pass since he had a mental disorder, there is something in him that is speaking a huge population. It would be smarter if the Republican party started figuring out how to negotiate with him to find some kind of middle ground.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap