View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Gorilla or Child? Am I missing something?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorilla or Child? Am I missing something?

I am sure by now most of you have heard about what happened at the Cincinnati Zoo. No doubt it is a tragedy that the gorilla had to be killed. The problem is that some are acting as if there was a choice. Let me put it this way. When it come to the life of a human being verse the life of an animal, there is no debate. Human being always wins and this is especially true when the human being is a child. I would have killed that gorilla and a 100 just like him to save the life of one child. Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more. You're not missing anything, the liberal mind is just that bent.

People are criticizing the decision as if the life of the animal was equal to or exceeded the value of the child. Granted, I see neglect on the parent's behalf, and if it were up to me I'd bill them for the loss of the gorilla. But what I wouldn't even consider is to make the parents pay with the life of their child for their neglect by sparing the gorilla.

Yesterday, I noticed several headlines addressing the liberal narration that the life of a "white kid" is worth more than the gorilla. It is kind of difficult for me to follow that race baiting logic, but anyways, they were quite surprised to learn that the kid wasn't white.

I only wish the life of an unborn child receive such exposure and media attention the next time Jane Doe goes to an abortion clinic.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

The only thing that I have not heard about this whole thing is whether or not they consider tranquilizing the gorilla, and if so would it have taken affect right away? I think the assumption that must be made here is if they had used a tranquilizer it would have temporarily enraged the gorilla, which would have put the child in further danger while shooting it outright eliminated that kind of scenario.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        The only thing that I have not heard about this whole thing is whether or not they consider tranquilizing the gorilla, and if so would it have taken affect right away? I think the assumption that must be made here is if they had used a tranquilizer it would have temporarily enraged the gorilla, which would have put the child in further danger while shooting it outright eliminated that kind of scenario.
        I believe you are correct.

Comment>

One of the first articles I read on the subject addressed tranquilizers, and as you stated, the Zoo's staff decided it was too risky.
          Comment>

In this day and age when the unborn of just about every species on earth is protected except for our own, you can easily see why this animal is more loved than the child who was in danger. You can't even pick up an eagle feather in the United States, without fearing that you'll be fined or worse, yet we can routinely kill the tiniest members of our own species at a whim. A child's life is worth nothing to those who live in the dark shadows of political correctness, particularly if those people have no children of their own. So a gorilla in a zoo died... unfortunate, but it happens. Eventually the zoo will acquire another gorilla. But, if a child dies, he cannot be replaced. His parents, siblings, grandparents, friends, and relatives are adversely affected, and for a very long time too. The child's life is much more important than that of the gorilla any day of the week.
            Comment>

I felt that most of the concern was that they killed the endangered animal when they didn't need to. The gorilla in the video was being very careful about helping the boy sitting up and stand up. He helped the boy get out of the pond and onto dry land. On the ground, the gorilla stood over the injured boy. This is where people aren't sure about whether or not it was necessary to actually shoot the gorilla over just using a tranquilizer. I still don't understand why they couldn't have used a tranquilizer instead of a bullet. But the concern also goes with the speculation that the gorilla wasn't acting overtly aggressive to the child, that he was being protective because the kid was injured. It's not that people weren't concerned about the child but whether it was actually necessary to kill the gorilla instead of putting it to sleep.
              Comment>

Jack Hannah of San Diago Zoo fame made a fair amount of comments regarding the kill.
                1. Tranquilizers take to long to take hold and would have further upset the gorilla.
                2. The way the gorilla was running around the pool while towing the boy by his leg was of a special concern. At any time the ape could have accidentally bashed the boys head against the concrete sides thereby probably killing him.
                3. That "gentle" gorilla is so strong it can crush a green coconut with his hand. The ape might have done well with a baby gorilla because even a small one is 10 times stronger than it's human counterpart of the same size and age. There is no way that the ape could know how frail the human boy was comparatively.

It was a regrettable thing but a good kill nonetheless.

Now, what upsets me, like a couple of other folks in this thread, is the lack of concern for human life versus that of an animal. So little concern as a matter of fact, that the story of the ape and the boy should have been small talk compared to all of the "black on black" shooting injuries and deaths in Chicago this Memorial Day weekend!
                I have heard and seen at least 6 or 7 hours of broadcast about the zoo incident and only about 2 minutes about the incidents in Chicago and what they are doing about it.

The loss of Human life seems to be at the bottom of the barrel in the news only beaten by the loss of Christian human life for which there is absolutely nothing said at all.
                Comment>

I think it's the fault of the irresponsible parents. These animals are in cages or restricted areas for a reason. They are not trained to deal with people in close proximity. It's the parents of the child who knew better than to let their kid go into an enclosed area and get himself in trouble. The child's actions are a direct reflection of the way the parents handle their children, and it isn't really that great after what happened. It's weird that I am taking the side of a wild animal, but in this case, the animal didn't escape his enclosure and attacked harmless bystanders, the kid went in there and agitated the beast because his irresponsible parents didn't take enough notice.
                  Comment>

I don't like zoos, there's no reason to keep these beautiful, wild animals in captivity. They are animals, and are unpredictable. That said, while I understand after seeing the video as to why the gorilla was put down, it still saddens me. The child's life was potentially endangered, so I understand the 'why' behind it, but it wouldn't happen in the first place, if we didn't enclose these animals in confined places, that are not their natural habitats.
                    Comment>

Although I wish a tranquilizer would have been able to be used, it wasn't. I don't know how a child ended up in the Gorilla's habitat, but he did. If it were my kid, I would have wanted them to do what they had to do to get my child out of that position as quickly as possible.
                      Comment>

I thought about the tranquilizer too chelle318 - but I guess there was the risk that it does not work instantly and it was a risk where he would have harmed the boy, which makes sense. It was an unfortunate incident, but I am glad to see that the mother was not charged. I think that that would just add something horrible to a family that just does not need it after what they had to go through. I also think that the zoo should probably look at themselves too, and see where they can improve, which we will see if that happens.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap