View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

High school wants to shut down off-campus 'Jesus Lunch'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High school wants to shut down off-campus 'Jesus Lunch'

There’s a religious liberty standoff underway in Middleton, Wisconsin.

On one side is a group of Christian moms armed with Chick-fil-A sandwiches and 400 homemade brownies. On the other side are public school administrators who believe that Jesus and plump juicy chicken breasts are “divisive.”

The controversy surrounds an off-campus lunch event involving students at Middleton High School known as “Jesus Lunch.”

The high school allows students to eat lunch off-campus. In 2014 a small group of parents began meeting with their children in a nearby park — providing home cooked meals along with a Christian-themed, inspirational message.

The small weekly gatherings in the fall and spring eventually morphed into a popular gathering spot for hungry kids — with nearly 500 turning out for all sorts of goodies — ranging from Chick-fil-A sandwiches and fresh fruit to hundreds of homemade brownies.

“We show up every week just to show the love of Jesus,” parent Beth Williams told me. “Our mission statement for Jesus Lunch is ‘food for the body, nutrition for the soul.’”

Superintendent Donald Johnson and Principal Stephen Plank called the off-campus religious gatherings “divisive” and they want the weekly non-denominational meetings shut down.
    You can read the whole story here:

High school wants to shut down off-campus 'Jesus Lunch' | Fox News
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

Here is an update on the story.

Chief: Officers to be on site for next 'Jesus Lunch' to keep peace - WISC

Here is the Jesus Lunch facebook page.

Redirecting...
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Here is their petition.

Petition · Allow Jesus Lunch to continue at Fireman's Park! · Change.org

Comment>

I simply cannot understand why the principal will be so hard-headed. I bet they wouldn't have anything to say about it if it was about raising awareness for the school's football team. If anything the meetings probably cause less divisiveness among the student who attend.
        Comment>

Sounds to me like the principal is on a power trip, I can't see any other reasoning to this. It's off campus, and not a private school so he doesn't have any say.

It's off campus as well so he shouldn't have any say in what the students do while not at school. Unless there is a law that says otherwise in Wisconsin?
          Comment>

Some of this stuff gets overblown, I would love to hear the principle´s more detailed explanation of why it is decisive. It seems to me he is the one who is making it an issue.

But really, this is the way politics works. For years politicians fought against gay marriage and anti-gay legislation what wen far beyond the limits of even what Jesus would suggest... so now the backlash against Christianity is amplified and we have to fight for even modest basic rights.
            Comment>

Pardon me if I didn't get it right. Those mothers are cooking home food for the school children as a sort of feeding program in the name of their religion? What's wrong with a feeding program? And what is the difference of a feeding program by a religious group and a feeding program by a mayor? It's practically the same. The only difference is the purpose but the food is the same. I think this issue of halting that food program is the work of non-Christians. I have been reading items like the banning of prayer in American public schools. The writer insinuates that Muslims were complaining that their children are being indoctrinated by Christians. If I were one of the mothers, I would definitely be offended by the school's policy to ban that religious project. But if I am non-Christian, I probably would applaud the move. So it depends on where you stand.
              Comment>

People over-complicate things. This seems like a small issue that has been blown out of proportion by reports from the media and word of mouth. Can't we all just fix this without any more chaos? I mean, it's just over food.
                Comment>

The problem comes in only when the head of the organization has a problem with a certain faith that is not of their own. The principal of this high school is offended by it, so he assumes that others must be. Even though what these mothers are doing is only positive. I don't see why bringing people together to instill in them faith and a background of morals is bad. These educators fail to realize that the type of education these moms are imparting on the kids will help them be a positive influence themselves in society for the rest of their lives.
                  Comment>

What a shame... Well if the school's administration somehow stops it, the best bet for the moms is to make it a breakfast or after school affair. I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
                    Comment>

Why would anyone be against such a noble act of providing for the children's dietary and spiritual nourishment. I still can't figure out how divisive the lunch hour meetings were since I believe the Christian moms never turned away non-christian kids from the gathering. Let's pray for the school's administration to come to their senses.
                      Comment>

I don't see how the schools administrators could even attempt to shut this down since these people are meeting off campus during a time in which their students are allowed to be off campus during the school day. It appears that the only way they could shut this down is to no longer allow the students to go off campus during school hours, but then they will have a long uphill battle. Ultimately, I hope reason and common sense will win the day. Of course liberal public school administrators are not really known for these virtues.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                          I don't see how the schools administrators could even attempt to shut this down since these people are meeting off campus during a time in which their students are allowed to be off campus during the school day. It appears that the only way they could shut this down is to no longer allow the students to go off campus during school hours, but then they will have a long uphill battle. Ultimately, I hope reason and common sense will win the day. Of course liberal public school administrators are not really known for these virtues.

That will be the interesting part, if he does shut down off-site lunches for everyone, there will probably be a lot of backlash against him. It is crazy how students are much more tolerant of others than adults. It works both ways, but it seems like adults use their kids as tools on both sides of this debate.
                          Comment>

that is ridiculous what the kids want to do on their one time is up to them. I would think that schools should find something more appropriate to pick on. I think the idea of them wanting to shut it down is ridicoulsou and bordr on the absurd. I dont see what ground there would be.
                            Comment>

I really don't understand what the problem is, they are not doing this off campus. It is not necessarily a school event, or it seems that they could make it a non-school event. It's just a flat out attack on Christianity to IMO.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap