View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Alabama Supreme Court Rejects U. S. Supreme Court’s Marriage Opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama Supreme Court Rejects U. S. Supreme Court’s Marriage Opinion

One state is acting to oppose the US supreme court's ruling legalizing same sex marriage. Read the whole story here:

Alabama Supreme Court Rejects U. S. Supreme Court’s Marriage Opinion - Liberty

We need to pray that they will stick to their decision and that other states will follow their example.

Clyde Herrin's Blog

I am anti-abortion in most cases, but it is legally impossible for a lower court to overrule the decision of a higher court. I honestly wish they would stop wasting all this tax payer money on giving it to lawyers, and instead use it for education. Millions of dollars to some law firm, but no money to teach young people that they don´t need to have an abortion, there are other options.
    Comment>

This is a prime example of why the states need to pull back the power that has been slowly relinquished to the feds. This is truly a state level issue, not something the federal government should even be involved in.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        This is a prime example of why the states need to pull back the power that has been slowly relinquished to the feds. This is truly a state level issue, not something the federal government should even be involved in.
        I agree. If the lower courts were consistent they would now no longer grant divorce, because the SCOTUS ruling has deemed the lower court incapable of determining what is and is not a marriage.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
          In this case, it would create a situation similar to slavery. The USA tried to allow states to determine their slavery status independently for decades, but there were just too many issues. If there was a slave in one state, and he escaped to a free state, the slave stated wanted the federal gov´t to require the free state to return the slave.

The supreme court had that in mind when they took up this case. A legally married gay couple is driving through a non-gay state and they have a car accident. There are a ton of legal issues that could arise out of that situation where ´are they married´ or ´are they not married´ would have huge consequences. The anti-gay states kinda bought this on themselves because they said not only would they not allow gay marriage, but they would not recognize gay marriages from other states. That final part would create a legal nightmare.
          Comment>

Originally posted by petesede View Post
            anti-gay states
            Being opposed to same sex marriage is not being anti-gay. Marriage was established by God as a union between a man and a woman, and there are a lot of gay people who are Christians and who agree with this. Unfortunately their views don't get much exposure in the popular news media. If you want to learn more about their viewpoint you might find this site helpful.

Born That Way Ministries | Responding to the Struggle of Sexual Identity
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              Being opposed to same sex marriage is not being anti-gay. Marriage was established by God as a union between a man and a woman, and there are a lot of gay people who are Christians and who agree with this. Unfortunately their views don't get much exposure in the popular news media. If you want to learn more about their viewpoint you might find this site helpful.

Born That Way Ministries | Responding to the Struggle of Sexual Identity

I second that statement. I was raised to believe that God loves all people no matter their sexual orientation or religion. It's just up to them to love and respect him back. With that being said, I treat everyone as equal no matter their certain situation. But I do oppose same sex marriage in the instant that its a Biblical law that shouldn't be condoned in any such way.
              Comment>

Originally posted by petesede View Post
                I am anti-abortion in most cases, but it is legally impossible for a lower court to overrule the decision of a higher court. I honestly wish they would stop wasting all this tax payer money on giving it to lawyers, and instead use it for education. Millions of dollars to some law firm, but no money to teach young people that they don´t need to have an abortion, there are other options.
                Exactly this, a lower court can't overrule a higher court, so in the end all they are doing is wasting peoples time and money. That money can be spent in other ways that actually help the people like infrastructure or education.
                Comment>

I really wish that were true Beardedfellow but the fact is my home state doesn't seem like it's putting our people in their best interests. Especially with the abortion problem, not to mention the new prisons that are popping up that making our tag prices go up in the process.
                  Comment>

My views on same sex marriage is what the church and the Bible say of it - marriage is a sacred union of man and woman. It did not say man and man or woman and woman, that is clear. My impression on the legality of same sex marriage is the propaganda by the influential gay people. It is noticeable that gay people are dominant in the entertainment industry whether actors or singers and over here they are close to the president. It is fortunate that the Philippines is a Catholic country and the influence of the Catholic church is greater than the influence of the influential gay people that's why even divorce is having a hard time to be enacted into a law. With same sex marriage I think it will encounter rough sailing in congress... I hope.

May I add that I am not against gays. In fact I have several friends and even relatives who are gay. What I am against is the homosexuality, particularly the sexual act.
                    Comment>

I don't care if gay people marry, that's between them and God. If the government wants to do it, that doesn't bother me. The problem with this is that now the LGBT can force churches to marry them even though their text doesn't support it. I agree completely though that the Supreme Court went above their station and created a law when they are only supposed to judge whether something is just or not. If the LGBT community wants to get married they needed to go through the proper legal courses.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
                        If the government wants to do it, that doesn't bother me.
                        It should. God judges nations that disobey his laws and all citizens of that nation will be affected adversely, whether they supported the nation's actions or not.
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap