Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Are you A proud Christian?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you A proud Christian?

There have been times when I’ve been ashamed of my faith family.

Squabbles, scandals, and division. Disputes over denominational differences. Competition rather than cooperation. “Black churches” and “white churches.” These have broken my heart and made me ashamed.

[Moderator Note: No soliciting of any kind.]

Ashamed among before who though? Man or God?

Doctrine is important and well worth argument. Scandals and competition don't represent Christ church, but hypocrites.

​​​​​Congregations aren't necessarily racists or segregated just because they're all white or all black. Many church's are made up of large families, who are all black or all white. Location plays a role as well, if the town is populated by mostly blacks or whites it's likely the church will have members who live close by.
    And people are more comfortable in their own cultural setting, as a white guy whose be in black churches I can tell you that they do things a little differently for the most part. Different worship style, different dress, different taste in food, and different way of socializing even. Nothing wrong with any of those things, but they make people more drawn to their own. But in Christ we're still brothers and sisters and are open to fellowship.

Comment

• Sue D.
      Sue D. commented
      Editing a comment
      You make some good points. People Are more comfortable in their own cultural settings. In the church I've been going to -- there is a Big congregation and one older black couple -- no kids though. He's our p/t S. S. teacher. There is also a single black man who speaks in church once in a while. He works as a Chaplin at a local correctional center.

So I wouldn't say that there's any competition -- black compared to white congregations. Just the way it Is. Back years ago my older daughter's best friend was a black young lady -- she got married and invited us. It was a small church and we were the only white couple -- an interesting experience. They definitely have their own way of worshiping - socializing, etc. Just like White people do. As well as many Other cultures.

• Innerfire89
      Innerfire89 commented
      Editing a comment
      The church I grew up in had an Indian woman and a Latino family, which was kinda interesting. And a missionary Baptist church I went years ago had a Latino family.

I think another thing that people might be mistaken for racism is that in churches like mine we don't get many visitors, so when we do, we unintentionally stare out of curiosity. I could imagine that if black person came to my church they could think were giving them dirty looks.

• Sue D.
      Sue D. commented
      Editing a comment
      Our curiosity sometimes gets the best of us. We LOOK and LOOK. :)

I honestly have never been proud of being a Christian. I have always been humbled at being a"Follower" of Jesus Christ. When God's WORD says we have been "Called" or "Chosen" I wonder why I was.

To understand why I think and feel the way I do I have to go back to my childhood. My dad told me from as far back as I can remember that I was "no good" and "I would be nothing but a bum" and "I was going to never amount to nothing" and "I was worthless". My dad verbally abused me, and so tore my self esteem down to the point I had a huge inferiority complex. Heck as a kid I thought my dad hated me. I avoided my Dad when ever I could. I never pleased my dad, although the pastor at the church my family was members at, used to take me aside and tell me what my dad was telling me was very wrong.

So the reason I have always felt humbled was I never felt worthy enough for God to love me. I have had a difficult time in relation to God as Father. I was in my mid forties before I was able to see how my dad has so deeply warped my thinking. But I an deeply appreciative to the seminary I went to that had very competitive well trained professional counselors that helped me work through those flaws.

So I can honestly sau I am humbled by Gods love for me. As I have worked out my issues I have met a few other men who have suffered at their dads insults. Its a terrible thing to cause a child to believe he is worthless.

Comment

• Sue D.
      Sue D. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing -- and we can be thankful for trained professional counselors that can help us through stuff in our lives.

• Sue D.
      Sue D. commented
      Editing a comment
      We're not 'using' race -- simply acknowledging that various races Do have different ways of worshiping. I'm a conservative, quieter worshiper. Not demonstrative like other's are. And I'm caucasion.

Originally posted by greatguy600 View Post
    There have been times when I’ve been ashamed of my faith family.

Squabbles, scandals, and division. Disputes over denominational differences. Competition rather than cooperation. “Black churches” and “white churches.” These have broken my heart and made me ashamed.

[Moderator Note: No soliciting of any kind.]
    It is sad we the people of God still use race. Paul declared in Acts that God has made man all of one blood! I will debate those who hold to differing views from me with intensity at times but still recognize they are family! And yes I am a proud Christian! Proud of my Savior!!! ( I do know what you are asking though.)

Comment

Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
      Ashamed among before who though? Man or God?

Doctrine is important and well worth argument. Scandals and competition don't represent Christ church, but hypocrites.

​​​​​Congregations aren't necessarily racists or segregated just because they're all white or all black. Many church's are made up of large families, who are all black or all white. Location plays a role as well, if the town is populated by mostly blacks or whites it's likely the church will have members who live close by.
      And people are more comfortable in their own cultural setting, as a white guy whose be in black churches I can tell you that they do things a little differently for the most part. Different worship style, different dress, different taste in food, and different way of socializing even. Nothing wrong with any of those things, but they make people more drawn to their own. But in Christ we're still brothers and sisters and are open to fellowship.
      I grew up in South-central Los Angeles (Watts district) and I had a lot of trouble during my school years. I didn't consider myself racist, but I experienced racism against my white condition. I was a blond-haired blue-eyed object of everything my schoolmates hated.

When God called me to the mission field, He sent me to Oakland, California. I think God saw I still had somewhat bad feelings toward blacks. I was sent to an all black mission that had rehab programs during the crack epidemic. I have been to most of the black churches in Oakland, and I was accepted by all. Black people, (generalizing now) usually grow up one of two ways: One way is very Christian, and the other way is hate everybody / everything. The Christians are seldom racist but the hate mongers are very racist, but are a much smaller faction.

God, in His loving kindness, purged the last bit of racism from me by working with these people. The Christians are working on their hating counterparts, and they really have their work cut out for them. I feel I was instrumental of dealing with some of the issues, the Christians had, that I deemed unhealthy: Like their mistrust of police. Oakland is a mostly black city that even has black politicians. The black churches had a Consul that worked with the city. I went to many of their meetings and I tried to get them working with the police to clean up their neighborhoods. I guess I gave them a white perspective on many things. A lot of oppression from rich people is expressed on poor whites. Some of the oppression they thought was racism was rich oppressing the poor. Anyway it was an enlightening experience.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	41.gif
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	63723

Comment

Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap