Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Pain might not be that bad.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain might not be that bad.

Scripture tells us to be sober minded so not to be deceived. But what about narcotic pain killers? Their purpose is to distract the mind from pain. While on the subject, what about anti-depressants, anti-anxity meds? They alter the mind also and have plenty of bad effects. Do these meds put Christian in a spiritually bad position or hinder the renewing of the mind?

Just to be clear, I don't think a Christian who uses these drugs is sinning, and I don't think they're dopes.

Hi Innerfire, if meds are needed, they are wonderful blessings. I was so overwhelmed by pain a couple of years ago (due to a gallstones .. OUCH) that I was all but incapacitated. In fact, the only thing I was capable of was trying not to scream (though even that wasn't possible all the time ). The narcotic pain killers allowed me to function again .. and to finally go to sleep as well.

I haven't had any personal experience with anything else, but I know what people who need to be "on" their meds are like when they don't take them. YIKES!! Like I said, when the meds are actually needed for a medical condition, they can actually put someone in a much better spiritual position than they could possibly be in w/o them (and they can certainly make life safer and more normal in general, both for the patient who is taking them, as well as they rest of us who either know them or share the road with them).

Yours and His,
    David
    Last edited by David Lee; 07-20-2017, 04:40 PM.
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

I suffered incredible, outrageous pain during two separate surgical procedures ---- I thought that no one on earth had ever experienced such dreadful pain. After the procedures were over I woke up screaming. What happened? Botched procedures. The pain meds thereafter were all that kept me going. I take prescription medication daily for headache pain, on a prescribed schedule. Yes, I'm a firm Believer that Jesus paid it all, I don't know why this happened, and I love Him.
      Comment>

Very sorry to hear about your pain (and your botched procedures, of course). Were your doctors (or other doctors perhaps) able to fix the problems your surgeries created for you? Also, are they the reason for the pain you are still experiencing today?

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

The problems were never adjusted. In one case, a new doctor "adjusted" the problem with new surgery. I simply got somewhat better over a loooong period of time. I still have complications. In the second case, the complications have been incredibly difficult to deal with. The attorney wanted $200,000 in advance to present the case. I was a little short. It is now too late to reopen either case, and at my age, it really doesn't matter, PTL!!!
          Comment>

Praying for you brother!

Comment>

I wonder just how deep modern medicine has really explored into pain relief, you'd think they would be able to just turn off certain nerves for a long period of time. Anyhow I don't want to seem unsympatic towards people in pain, I never had any thing chronic, but I had a few bad teeth that had me laid up in bed. I didn't have anything but ibuporphin that didn't do any good. I had the oppertunity to get pain killers before hand but I just can't stand how they make me feel. But if I had some while those teeth were hurting I might have taken them.
              Comment>

I do not agree with your title, in fact, the pain can be very bad. I know this because my sister died of cancer a few years ago and I cannot imagine the pain she got to endure, but I saw her transformation and I saw the pain and agony on her face. These treatments have nothing to do with religion, it is just a treatment to relieve the pain.
                I don't think that God will judge those who use the painkillers!
                Comment>

Originally posted by wallet View Post
                  I don't think that God will judge those who use the painkillers!
                  I don't either, that was covered already, the question this thread asks is can painkillers be a stumbling block for Christians. Should painkillers be avoided if possible?
                  Comment>

I think it's good to avoid all meds, IF possible. There are way too many side effects, and yes, some drugs may cloud your thinking. Avoiding dependence/addiction is also a consideration.

I don't see them as a stumbling block when needed. I mean, if you think about it, how clear is your head anyway, when you're in excruciating pain? I have chronic pain, which also leads to fatigue and exhaustion. There is nothing clear minded about that feeling. I don't take anything unless I have to. When I need it, I do, and I'm thankful for it.
                    Comment>

I think that sometimes that medicine is needed to treat people-and even strong medicine at that,but after the pain goes away or is not as bad, you could look maybe to a herbal type of medicine. Sometimes these drugs can be addictive after you have taken them for awhile-so you could look into herbs -and a more natural pain reducer after taking the heavier drugs for a long perod of time.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post
                        I don't either, that was covered already, the question this thread asks is can painkillers be a stumbling block for Christians. Should painkillers be avoided if possible?
                        It's generally good not to take any medication unless it is needed. If a patient takes them too often they can build up a tolerance, which means the meds won't work when they are really needed. I don't think taking painkillers hinders renewing the mind, as it may cloud it, but then so does incapacitating pain. Since most painkillers are naturally-based I don't think God would have made these plants if he didn't expect them to be used. I know exactly what you mean by disliking painkillers, mind you. I was prescribed Tramadol after surgery and dropped it for paracetamol (tylenol) as soon as medically advisable. I wasn't thinking clearly on it, my thoughts were everywhere, and my short-term memory was shot.

Anti-depressants correct brain chemistry and prevent a lot of suicides which means it actually helps people avoid committing a severe sin. For someone who needs them, they may be a God-given gift and a way to save their life before their condition kills them or compels them to kill themselves.

Abuse and Addiction are a different issues.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap